MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   iPod Amp - Outstanding (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/246444-ipod-amp-outstanding.html)

Kieffer 05-30-2008 08:49 PM

iPod Amp - Outstanding

I just got it - and under warranty! Not only is the volume better, but the sound quality is outstanding compared to what it was before the inline amp installation. I never used the iPod integration because the sound was awful. Now I think I'll find a used iPod just to keep in the car.

AZBenz123 05-30-2008 08:57 PM

What exactly are you talking about? Is this a dealer remedy (warranty item) to the original specs?

Flame3g 05-30-2008 09:34 PM

hey Kieffer not to get :topic: but did you order your car w/ quick park if so can you take pics of the interior sensor and on/off button

dalazernet 05-31-2008 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kieffer (Post 2856671)
I just got it - and under warranty! Not only is the volume better, but the sound quality is outstanding compared to what it was before the inline amp installation. I never used the iPod integration because the sound was awful. Now I think I'll find a used iPod just to keep in the car.

When you say sound was awful... were you plugging in an ipod dock connector to the bottom of your ipod, or where you plugging in an 1/8th inch audio adapter into the headphone jack? Thanks.

Kieffer 05-31-2008 09:15 PM

I was plugging the ipod into the connector on the bottom, as I have the ipod integration kit. What's happened is that MB has had a slew of complaints about both sound quality and lack of volume from the ipod integration kit. It might sound "ok," but set the volume on the AUX, then switch to some other source. Chances are that the volume will be deafening, as you usually have to crank up the AUX volume so high to get acceptable sound. With this amp, the sound is incredible. You don't get as much of that "tinny" mp3, compressed sound - and the volume is where it should be.

The part # is: 204 870 39 94 based on my documentation. I got it covered under warranty. I read on another board where some dealers are not covering these under warranty.

Kieffer 05-31-2008 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Flame3g (Post 2856796)
hey Kieffer not to get :topic: but did you order your car w/ quick park if so can you take pics of the interior sensor and on/off button

Hijack away - I had quickpark installed before I took delivery of the car in November. It was the first one my dealer had done on the W204. I'll send you a photo. There is no visual indicator in the car, just a beeper hidden under the rear deck.

Kferg7 05-31-2008 09:34 PM

Does anyone know if this preamp will work for us with out the ipod kit? I have the same volume difference problem running from the headphone jack of my ipod to the aux in. Any one have experience here?

Ken

benzo-boi 06-01-2008 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kieffer (Post 2858327)
I was plugging the ipod into the connector on the bottom, as I have the ipod integration kit. What's happened is that MB has had a slew of complaints about both sound quality and lack of volume from the ipod integration kit. It might sound "ok," but set the volume on the AUX, then switch to some other source. Chances are that the volume will be deafening, as you usually have to crank up the AUX volume so high to get acceptable sound. With this amp, the sound is incredible. You don't get as much of that "tinny" mp3, compressed sound - and the volume is where it should be.

The part # is: 204 870 39 94 based on my documentation. I got it covered under warranty. I read on another board where some dealers are not covering these under warranty.

Do you have a picture of it? It is internal?

Kieffer 06-01-2008 09:13 AM

It's an internal part. I snagged this photo off another website.

http://www.mercupgrades.com/pictures...ineamp_576.jpg

ManchesterMerc 06-01-2008 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kferg7 (Post 2858345)
Does anyone know if this preamp will work for us with out the ipod kit? I have the same volume difference problem running from the headphone jack of my ipod to the aux in. Any one have experience here?

Ken

I have email'd MB customer services about this and I am just waiting for a reply. I will let you know if there is anything to improve the volume level through Aux port.:y

Kieffer 06-01-2008 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ManchesterMerc (Post 2858798)
I have email'd MB customer services about this and I am just waiting for a reply. I will let you know if there is anything to improve the volume level through Aux port.:y

You might see if this site is any help. We used it on our ML320 CDI to get the AUX (no ipod kit, just the AUX input) volume up - it worked well. I don't know if the C-Class has the same kind of menu shown on this site.

http://www.mercupgrades.com/iPod+Vol...rticle-45.html

ManchesterMerc 06-01-2008 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kieffer (Post 2858834)
You might see if this site is any help. We used it on our ML320 CDI to get the AUX (no ipod kit, just the AUX input) volume up - it worked well. I don't know if the C-Class has the same kind of menu shown on this site.

http://www.mercupgrades.com/iPod+Vol...rticle-45.html

Thanks for that Kieffer I will give it a try:y

Tried that one now and it does'nt work on the W204. Looks like I will have to see what MB customer services come back with, unless anybody else knows any other way.

Kieffer 06-01-2008 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ManchesterMerc (Post 2858852)
Tried that one now and it does'nt work on the W204. Looks like I will have to see what MB customer services come back with, unless anybody else knows any other way.

I was afraid of that. Hopefully the amp will work for the AUX input as well. Keep us updated.

Since you are in the UK, I just have to mention this. I saw my first Jaguar XF last night. As a former Jaguar owner, I just have to say this: Wow!

delirium 06-02-2008 01:56 AM

how much is this part & how much is installation if its not covered by warranty?

mac911 06-02-2008 02:41 AM

Can anyone tell me if other Mercedes have low volume on the AUX in?

I've used other cars that had no issue with the AUX in volume.

ManchesterMerc 06-02-2008 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kieffer (Post 2859367)
I was afraid of that. Hopefully the amp will work for the AUX input as well. Keep us updated.

Since you are in the UK, I just have to mention this. I saw my first Jaguar XF last night. As a former Jaguar owner, I just have to say this: Wow!

Will let you know what MB say.:y

Took the XF for a test drive and was impressed. Came down to XF and the "C" Jag was a wait for delivery so took the "C". Week after I got the "C" got a call from Jag dealer to say that he had extra allocation and would be able to get one immediately. To Late:nix:

Savage c-300 06-02-2008 05:49 PM

i took my car in today to see if they would cover this part under warranty. got to wait a few hours to see what they have to say.

micropower99 06-02-2008 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Savage c-300 (Post 2860921)
i took my car in today to see if they would cover this part under warranty. got to wait a few hours to see what they have to say.

Yea? Mine wasn't covered, I had to pay 150$ for installation. :( lol

Savage c-300 06-02-2008 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by micropower99 (Post 2860930)
Yea? Mine wasn't covered, I had to pay 150$ for installation. :( lol

wow, they better cover it, if not i'll just tell them i dont want it. we already paid $375 to have it in the first place, it should be working without having to pay more.

** i heard back from the dealership, they are not going to cover it under warranty. oh well. This was at Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach, CA

ManchesterMerc 06-03-2008 10:03 AM

Follow up regarding the aux input volume level. This is the email I rec'd today from MB Customer Services.
Looks like a trip to the dealership is on the cards.:rolleyes:

3rd June 2008

Ref: KM-1-853430695

Dear Mr ******

Mercedes-Benz Model: C-Class

Further to your enquiry about increasing the volume on your I-pod, our techical department advise that normally when the volume of the I-pod is on max you should be able to set the volume via the volume button on the radio.

As this does not seem to be the case for you, they recommend that you have the issue further investigated by a Mercedes-Benz dealership.

If you would like contact details for your nearest Mercedes-Benz dealership, please do forward your postal address. Alternatively you may prefer to visit our website, www.Mercedes-Benz.co.uk, and locate a convenient dealership using the 'find a Retailer' link on the left hand side of the homepage.

Should you have any further requirements, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Kathryn Martindale
Customer Service
Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center Maastricht N.V.
Gaetano Martinolaan 10
NL-6229 GS Maastricht, The Netherlands

Phone Nr: 00800 1 777 7777
mailto: CustomerService.UK@cac.mercedes-benz.com

If you are not the addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail by mistake, and delete it. We thank you for your support.

ni2mi2 06-04-2008 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Savage c-300 (Post 2860936)
wow, they better cover it, if not i'll just tell them i dont want it. we already paid $375 to have it in the first place, it should be working without having to pay more.

** i heard back from the dealership, they are not going to cover it under warranty. oh well. This was at Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach, CA

I got this fixed under warranty - Brumos Motors, Jacksonville, Florida. They installed the amp and didn't charge me anything - not even for labor.

I think you should take it up since it wasn't your fault.

Savage c-300 06-04-2008 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ni2mi2 (Post 2864337)
I got this fixed under warranty - Brumos Motors, Jacksonville, Florida. They installed the amp and didn't charge me anything - not even for labor.

I think you should take it up since it wasn't your fault.

what did you guys actually say to the service guys to make them put it under warranty? I told them the volume is low and the sound quality isnt good and they turned around and said thats just how it was designed and nothing was wrong.

Kieffer 06-04-2008 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Savage c-300 (Post 2864595)
what did you guys actually say to the service guys to make them put it under warranty? I told them the volume is low and the sound quality isnt good and they turned around and said thats just how it was designed and nothing was wrong.

I said exactly what you did, but I added one thing. I also said that you have to crank up the system volume so high when it's on AUX that, if a call comes in or if I change audio sources, it scares the living hell out of me (as it's so loud) and I'll surely wreck the car at some point if this isn't fixed.

My dealer doesn't usually play games, so I figured I'd be ok - but better safe than sorry. And I don't have time to fight it out right now. Once phrased as a safety issue, my thought was that they'd take a little more notice of it. My service adviser didn't even write down the safety part, etc. He just said, "we'll take care of it."

dalazernet 06-04-2008 01:21 PM

Call me crazy, but why not just lower the sound after listening to the ipod?

I know there was a volume difference between ipod and other interfaces on my W203, and granted it is a smidge more noticeable in this new one than my last, but it doesn't seem horrible.

There may even be a gain setting somewhere.

Kieffer 06-04-2008 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by dalazernet (Post 2864613)
Call me crazy, but why not just lower the sound after listening to the ipod?

I know there was a volume difference between ipod and other interfaces on my W203, and granted it is a smidge more noticeable in this new one than my last, but it doesn't seem horrible.

There may even be a gain setting somewhere.

On mine, it wasn't a "smidge" of a difference. The ipod was barely audible unless I cranked the system up to what would normally be an amp-clipping volume level. That, of course, created all kinds of noise / hiss / etc.