C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C220 CDI -- is it fitted with a particulate filter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C220 CDI AMG Sports Package
C220 CDI -- is it fitted with a particulate filter?

In Australia, does anybody know if a particulate filter is installed on C220 CDI's?

The reason I'm asking is that I would like to top-up the oil in my engine but am not sure what grade of oil to use. The owner's manual have different MB specs for diesel engines with or without pariculate filters.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by arclight
In Australia, does anybody know if a particulate filter is installed on C220 CDI's?

The reason I'm asking is that I would like to top-up the oil in my engine but am not sure what grade of oil to use. The owner's manual have different MB specs for diesel engines with or without pariculate filters.
Yes, there is a particulate filter in 2008 220CDI's. My MB service manager uses Mobil! ESP 5w/30. It is MB Sheet 229.51 approved oil ;low ash.Change intervals increased to 20,000km.A 20 litre drum costs A$202 & therefore 3 oil changes.

Product Description From the Mobil Aust website :-

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is an advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide exceptional cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has been expertly engineered to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of Car Emission Reduction Systems in both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles. Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 exceeds the requirements of many leading industry and car manufacturers' standards required for newer modern diesel and gasoline powered passenger car engines.

Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is made with a proprietary blend of leading edge components formulated to be fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF's) and Gasoline Catalytic Converters (CAT's). Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has been designed to deliver outstanding performance and protection in conjunction with improved fuel economy. Key features and benefits include:

Features
Advantages and Potential Benefits
Low Ash Content Helps to reduce particulate build up in Diesel Particulate Filters
Low Sulphur and Phosphorous content Helps to reduce poisoning of Gasoline Catalytic Converters
Active cleaning agents Reduces deposits and sludge build-up to enable long and clean engine life
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Reduces oil ageing allowing extended drain interval protection
Low oil consumption Less hydrocarbon pollution
Enhanced frictional properties Greater fuel economy
Excellent low temperature capabilities Quick cold weather starting and ultra fast protection
Extended engine and electrical system life

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:

BMW Longlife 04
Mercedes Benz MB-Approval 229.31/229.51

All the best,

John at Taree NSW
Old 06-16-2008, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C220 CDI AMG Sports Package
Thanks so much for the information Carsy. It is very helpful.