C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 sport
Steering wheel vibration

Does anyone have steering wheel vibration @ 55-60 mph?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
No.

Could be balance, could be runout [out of round, or not straight enough]. Any shop with a road-force balancer should be able to solve the problem.

Easiest way to trouble-shoot is to swap the rears to the front, which I can do on my Lux, but everyone else can't....another reason I don't do staggered wheel sizes.

Another thing to check is that there are no mud patches or road debris on the inside of the wheels, and that the wheel bolt torque is uniform on all five bolts of each wheel. All of these things can contribute, but my money is on a tire that is out of round.

Last edited by jrct9454; 06-17-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:02 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
A bit stale

<<Easiest way to trouble-shoot is to swap the rears to the front, which I can do on my Lux, but everyone else can't....another reason I don't do staggered wheel sizes.

You know, John, you've included this "I don't do staggered wheels sizes" in more posts than I can count since you got your car last year. Suggesting that those of us who "do" staggered wheel sizes (the majority, I think) are somehow foolish and not as "practical" as you.

Perhaps you could be a little less oh-whats-the-word, lofty.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by RLE
<<Easiest way to trouble-shoot is to swap the rears to the front, which I can do on my Lux, but everyone else can't....another reason I don't do staggered wheel sizes.

You know, John, you've included this "I don't do staggered wheels sizes" in more posts than I can count since you got your car last year. Suggesting that those of us who "do" staggered wheel sizes (the majority, I think) are somehow foolish and not as "practical" as you.

Perhaps you could be a little less oh-whats-the-word, lofty.
It sounds as if John has a very good point. He is one of the more practical contributors on this forum & I enjoy his posts. Keep them coming Lofty.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
My apologies if I'm offending. I recognize that by a piece, I'm the oldest contributor to this forum.

My days as a car nut got started when I began working for the SF Firestone distributor when I was raising money for college in 1962. The tire business is in my blood. This is probably the ONLY topic that I know a little more about than most people.

That said, I am extremely unhappy with the decisions that are being made by MB and BMW about OEM tire choices in the North American market. That comes across the wrong way at times, and I apologize.

I know of no way to protest what's going on but with my wallet - I refuse to purchase any car that includes the latest fads, which are staggered low-profile sizes and unidirectional treads [and in the case of BMW, going with run-flats on top of the other sins]. Those of you who don't care are, of course, free to do the opposite.

I read occasional complaints, though, in this forum and others about vibrations, short tread life, inability to rotate, cost to replace, etc. Most of those problems would not exist in the absence of these wide, expensive, heavy, low-profile tire choices. You want 'em, you got 'em.....I have the impression, incidentally, that a lot of this is an attempt to look good on the track for the car magazines [I read all of the American rags]. EU sensibilities on this seem more practical to me, where concerns about fuel consumption and tread life trump extreme cornering and looking good in the driveway. What's reasonable on a Porsche 911 doesn't translate for me to a touring car like the C or 3er sedan.

End of post - last word from me on this topic.

PS - On the original question - my guess is that one of your fronts is not up to spec. It could be simply balance, but balance is almost always perfect from the factory, and rarely goes south early in the life of the car unless you've hit something very hard. So I'm betting the tire simply isn't round enough or straight enough.

Last edited by jrct9454; 06-18-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:42 AM

c300 sport
Originally Posted by jrct9454
My apologies if I'm offending. I recognize that by a piece, I'm the oldest contributor to this forum.

My days as a car nut got started when I began working for the SF Firestone distributor when I was raising money for college in 1962. The tire business is in my blood. This is probably the ONLY topic that I know a little more about than most people.

That said, I am extremely unhappy with the decisions that are being made by MB and BMW about OEM tire choices in the North American market. That comes across the wrong way at times, and I apologize.

I know of no way to protest what's going on but with my wallet - I refuse to purchase any car that includes the latest fads, which are staggered low-profile sizes and unidirectional treads [and in the case of BMW, going with run-flats on top of the other sins]. Those of you who don't care are, of course, free to do the opposite.

I read occasional complaints, though, in this forum and others about vibrations, short tread life, inability to rotate, cost to replace, etc. Most of those problems would not exist in the absence of these wide, expensive, heavy, low-profile tire choices. You want 'em, you got 'em.....I have the impression, incidentally, that a lot of this is an attempt to look good on the track for the car magazines [I read all of the American rags]. EU sensibilities on this seem more practical to me, where concerns about fuel consumption and tread life trump extreme cornering and looking good in the driveway. What's reasonable on a Porsche 911 doesn't translate for me to a touring car like the C or 3er sedan.

End of post - last word from me on this topic.

PS - On the original question - my guess is that one of your fronts is not up to spec. It could be simply balance, but balance is almost always perfect from the factory, and rarely goes south early in the life of the car unless you've hit something very hard. So I'm betting the tire simply isn't round enough or straight enough.
Thanks for the info john.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:34 PM

c250 cdi BE
My C250 CDI Also vibrates at that speeds

Hello to all

I recentelly bought C250 CDI, and since the first Kilometers I feel that annoying vibration between 105, and 115 Km/h. I never hit anything, and I supose that the car came from factory well balanced. Im going to the dealer next week to see.
I would like to hear from nolabenz in order to know if they found something wrong with his car.

Thank you very much to all of you, who contribute to this fantastic forum
Old 08-29-2009, 01:40 AM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
John, do you own other cars besides MB? You are a loyalist!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 01:46 AM

suby
c300 you can rotate, check tire pressure and if ure milage is low enough the dealer may offer a one time goodwill tire balance if the wheel is not bent(pot holes hate mb rims)