C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

new iPhone interface from Merc....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
new iPhone interface from Merc....

take a look at this............

Mercedes-Benz's current iPod integration kit is pretty weak sauce, especially since the new COMAND nav / multimedia system is so well done, but it looks like the automaker's newest iPhone cradle will take steps to address some of the more glaring issues and also add some interesting new features. The cradle appears to finally integrate iPod controls with the main nav screen and COMAND controller instead of relying solely on the instrument display and steering wheel controls, and it will charge your phone while allowing you to make calls and listen to music. On top of that, plugging the phone in will apparently increase reception by using the vehicle's antennas as well as the iPhone's, and from what we can tell, you'll be able to access the contacts list as well -- something MB's current Bluetooth system doesn't allow. If you've already got the iPod kit or Media Interface kit, the adapters needed will run you €39 ($60), and the cradle itself is available now in Germany for €249 ($385). Lots more pics at the read link.http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Jun08/1...hitecture.html

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Jun08/1...hitecture.html
Old 06-19-2008, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Damn that looks amazing. I want! haha Where can we buy the cradle and addon interface?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 PM

Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
right now looks like its only available over seas..... sucks for us here in the states......
Old 06-19-2008, 08:34 PM

2008 Steel Grey C300 Sport 6MT
does it require MM?

I have the current ipod integration but would love this....I don't have MM though.

I hope this works with the standard stereo on 2008 W204's
Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 PM

2008 C350
Just read about that on Engadget.
I think it will be pretty awesome...I doubt there will be an "easy" way of installing it into an existing w204. Grr.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:06 PM

techie, huh?

thats were i got it from, i love them and gizmodo too.... im a tech nerd!

Last edited by myinternetsucks; 06-19-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 PM

'08 C350 Sport & '08 528i
Its nice, but I can think of a lot more things to spend $385 on than an interface that I might only use a few hours a week.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Engadget rocks But yea hopefully they release this in North America this summer.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by micropower99
Engadget rocks But yea hopefully they release this in North America this summer.
BMW is doing one too. That will come out in a couple of months.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Holy cr@p.... *reaches for his wallet*... I just want it to have a friggin place to put the iphone in this car! Complete integration is nice and all, but I wouldn't want to give up my dedicated ipod which stores my 50 GB of music for cruising (lets see an iphone do that!). Alas, so darn tempting though. I just want the ipod to be integrated into the MM comand system because I'm tired of staring at the gauge cluster.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
i use an iphone, and this would be a dream to have!
i use it as a phone, use it at the gym, with updated playlists,

i would love to have this.... why do i have a feeling this wont be available in canada.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by myinternetsucks
thats were i got it from, i love them and gizmodo too.... im a tech nerd!
You and I both.

Originally Posted by joshieca
Its nice, but I can think of a lot more things to spend $385 on than an interface that I might only use a few hours a week.
I agree there. I find myself not using my iPod adapter as much as I thought I would. Its just a PITA for me as I HATE playlists. Ugh.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I want the ability with an iPod.

I have an iPhone, but my iPod obviously holds a lot more.

Why they ever had an iPod kit without connecting to the command screen is beyond me.

Think we'd ever be able to get through one of these new things or something the iPod contents on the main command screen on our current cars?
Old 06-20-2008, 02:55 AM

2008 C300
It's about freaking time!! My roomate has a 135i and his ipod kit sounds awesome and is displayed nav screen and to top it off the bluetooth transfers contacts also!! But I guess since I already have the ipod kit this upgrade will only cost me $60?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Almost a Member!

2009 C300 sport
I hope it works with the 3g iphone.... its a little bigger then the old one. they are showing the first gen iphone in the picture.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by dalazernet
Holy cr@p.... *reaches for his wallet*... I just want it to have a friggin place to put the iphone in this car! Complete integration is nice and all, but I wouldn't want to give up my dedicated ipod which stores my 50 GB of music for cruising (lets see an iphone do that!). Alas, so darn tempting though. I just want the ipod to be integrated into the MM comand system because I'm tired of staring at the gauge cluster.
50GB .... no way you have that much fuel or a place to drive that far.

I drove San Fran .... Boston .... LA and that would be less distance than 50GB worth of music.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:58 AM

W204
Anyone know the part number for iPhone package? Damn look so nice.. Will it work with Audio 20? TIA..
Old 06-20-2008, 12:33 PM

heres all the info they have posted on this so far........ i hope they come up with this soon in the states

Let's be honest: when Apple unveiled the iPhone last summer, they forever changed the mobile market. Not only did they have Apple fanboys lined up half-a-week in advance to get their hands on the new phone, in retrospect, they also managed to pull off one of the greatest product launches in history. Now, a year later, Apple has introduced a 3G iPhone; they've cut its price to a paltry $199; and in my opinion, they've eliminated any justifiable reasons to buy any phone other than an iPhone.

So why am I telling you this? The reason, ladies and gentlemen, is because today, Mercedes has acknowledged Apple's current (and in all probability future) dominance in the mobile arena, so much so that they have unveiled a new cradle specifically for the device. Available now for the Mercedes-Benz C-, E-, CLK-,
CLS-, S-, CL-, SL-, M- and R-Class (as well as the in the future for the forthcoming GLK-Class), the Apple iPhone cradle allows seamless integration between your device's music and telephone functions and your vehicle's architecture.

Here's how it works. First, you must specify Optional convenience telephony (Order Code 386). The cradle then connects without any tools into the audio system either via the optionally available Media Interface or the retrofittable iPod® Interface Kit. Once the cradle is installed, your iPhone's music and phone functions can be controlled with the help of the multifunction steering wheel controls, while the vehicle's display is used to indicate the phone status, music functions, etc. Other features include automatic recharging while your iPhone is attached to the cradle as well as increased reception with the help of your vehicle's aerial.

If you're interested, as already noted, the new Apple iPod cradle is available for ordering immediately (check with your dealer for local availability), while pricing is set at € 249 (including VAT).
Old 06-20-2008, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Originally Posted by myinternetsucks
Let's be honest: when Apple unveiled the iPhone last summer, they forever changed the mobile market. Not only did they have Apple fanboys lined up half-a-week in advance to get their hands on the new phone, in retrospect, they also managed to pull off one of the greatest product launches in history. Now, a year later, Apple has introduced a 3G iPhone; they've cut its price to a paltry $199; and in my opinion, they've eliminated any justifiable reasons to buy any phone other than an iPhone.

).
Funny, it couldn't agree less. It's one of the most overhyped & overpriced
things of the past few years. (But yeah... it has a touch screen)
personally i'll take a Nokia over it any time.
only my 2 cetns of course, which is not much...
Old 06-20-2008, 02:51 PM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by benzmodz
50GB .... no way you have that much fuel or a place to drive that far.

I drove San Fran .... Boston .... LA and that would be less distance than 50GB worth of music.
ROFLOL! I wasn't implying that I use up 50 GB per cruise ;-). I just like to have all of my music at my fingertips. You know when you get that itch to hear something you haven't heard in years, but you own it... well, I've got it with me at all times :-).

- Eric
Old 06-21-2008, 10:17 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
Funny, it couldn't agree less. It's one of the most overhyped & overpriced
things of the past few years. (But yeah... it has a touch screen)
personally i'll take a Nokia over it any time.
only my 2 cetns of course, which is not much...
overpriced maybe but def not overhyped... did you know the mobile traffic to www.google.com actually beat out the desktop for the first time during the month of iphone went on sale? anyways, iphone made internet surfing what it suppose to be and fun at the same time on a mobile device and copycats followed suit. yea, N95 got more and better features as a smart phone but that's only skin deep. with SDK out, thousands of apps will make iphone even more functional and fun.

oh, and with 3g priced starting $199, its no longer even overpriced.

And I wonder if your "take a Nokia over it anytime" attitude will continue after google phone make its debut (nokia is the only major cellphone maker who didn't sign up)

sorry for the anyways....

Last edited by webada; 06-21-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by dalazernet
ROFLOL! I wasn't implying that I use up 50 GB per cruise ;-). I just like to have all of my music at my fingertips. You know when you get that itch to hear something you haven't heard in years, but you own it... well, I've got it with me at all times :-).

- Eric
One day I listened to the same track for 10 hours. It was called 'silence'.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by webada

And I wonder if your "take a Nokia over it anytime" attitude will continue after google phone make its debut (nokia is the only major cellphone maker who didn't sign up)

sorry for the anyways....
For the retail price to be half ... Apple is planning tens of millions to be sold. Just think of it as an 'iPOD with benefits' ....

Sorry Nokia ... but 15 years of cranio-rectal impaction has finally caught up.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:32 PM

2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Ok, I've got a question. This iphone cradle/integration kit looks nice and all, but I don't want to lose my ipod integration kit functionality to do it.

All I really want is a cradle to hold/charge my iphone in the car -- perhaps a second glovebox cradle next to my ipod one with a power adapter/dock connector to plug into the iphone? That would be awesome. Any thoughts from anyone - or does anyone know of a company selling a small felt cradle like Mercedes' ipod one that I can velcro down next to it in my glovebox? :-)

- Eric

....or heck, anyone think maybe the iphone kit can just be used for charging/holding the phone instead of fully integrating the phone?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Anyone think the better integration with the COMMAND screen will be something we can add to our cars, once it's available on other cars? Seems doable, if it's just some connections and whatnot, like adding an ipod kit, but a better one that connects to the main screen interface.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new iPhone interface from Merc....