C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Forced Induction or Not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
Forced Induction or Not?

This subject was vaguely talked about in another thread but here are the details as I consider and know them to "seriously" think about aftermarket forced induction.

1) I bought the C350 as I wanted as much power from the C-Class as I could get but another 50-75hp would be very welcomed.
2) I bought a loaded C-Class as this is what fit my budget for a new car. I would like the V-8 in the E550 but it's not in my budget for a "new" car which I am used to having.
3) I usually get a new car every 3-4 years but at the same time I haven't owned a car at this cost that also depreciates quite a bit more than I am used to so I am looking at staying with this car for 5 -6 years to justify the cost a little more.
4) This car has the color combination and just about every option I want which would be very hard to find even if I did find a used "clean" E550 worth considering.
5) I take very good care of my cars and this one will be parked for the winter which also makes me think I should keep it 5-6 years. Dealers just don't give me enough extra for how nice my cars are when I trade them in.

Now if someone falls into my same dilemma or just wants more power and that's all that applies them maybe we can get enough people together for a tuner to consider making a kit.

I would assume a time frame of a year or more is acceptable as most people that may be interested want more time from their initial warranties before making serious modifications.

My main objective is price also. If cost is too much then with all the other models depreciating so much as well maybe a model upgrade is the right choice. Really all the factors need to fall into place for this to work IMO but I do think forced induction is an option worth thinking about. Nitrous is my main thing but I want more power down low and mid-range for daily driving.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Force induction kits for NA cars are expensive even for minimal power gains. At this moment, prices are insanely high for a conversion and enough to make you sell your C350 and get a C63 for the same price. Prices will go down overtime but I doubt it will be affordable because the C-Class is not a tuner car nor is it found to be too tuner friendly. The demographics on those who purchase the car simply is too different than say those who buy a STI for tuners to ditch a better same-class platform, the BMW N54 335i, to work on the C-Class.

I definitely know what you mean though. If I was to do it again, I would probably look into a 2005 E55(supercharged v8) with extended warranty which goes for the same price as a fully loaded new C350.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 AM

08 MB
imboom,
Yes a 2005 E55 was/is on my current list if I did it all over again also as it is in the same price range. The problem is I like new cars as I know how mine is taken care of being new.

Most of the supercharger kits for import cars are for much more hp and boost than what I have in mind which means more cost for intercooling, piping, etc. I'm thinking more along the lines of my old S/C Xterra or the TRD S/C for the trucks where they are both Eaton positive displacement s/c's with low boost and don't require an intercooler.

I am going to safely guess that you are right and these cars don't draw the demand to make a system and just move on as a one off kit would be expensive.

Last edited by racetested; 07-09-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
cost is too much then with all the other models depreciating so much as well maybe a model upgrade is the right choice.

Especially MB
Old 07-09-2008, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK500 SPORT
man i am really feeling a supercharger low boast low maint. I am probably going to look at buying headers from vrp after i get back next year(work). im thinking about getting a sl55 while the car is getting fitted.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:41 AM

08 MB
I am going to keep the idea on the back burner for now. I have the tools and means with a friend who is an engineer that can design a custom s/c bracket, etc. My friend recommended a centrifugal blower for this application so that clears up any need for a intake adapter plate for a roots style blower

Now it's just about me seeing if I still like the car in a few years and plan on keeping it long enough to invest the money. Time is not an issue as I enjoy this stuff and the car will be parked in the winter months for developing. Plus I'll see where the AMG models are price wise in comparison.