C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 - Considerable Wind Noise!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 '06
C300 - Considerable Wind Noise!

I brought my ML350 in for its service B and had an opportunity to drive a C300 as a loaner car. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. The wind noise was pretty bad and I felt it didn't have a very soft ride (however, this is coming from an ML350 with the air-suspension – so I’m kinda spoiled) and for some reason I couldn't get comfortable in the drivers seat. I LOOOOVE the new body style of the C, so I was really bummed about my experience, especially b/c I had thoughts of maybe buying it. I ended up driving it for 1 week and 1 day (b/c they also had to order a new bulb replacement for the rear brake light on my ML350) so I felt I spent enough time in the car. I even took the car to the Bay Area for a Giants game and on short and long trips, I have say that I was not happy with the overall car. In the past when I brought my car in for service, I always end up with a '05 or '06 C-class and I've always liked them. I even owned a C55 before and had no complaints about that car. I just thought MB would have done a better job on the newer C. Is it just this car or have others had similar experiences? It was a rental, so maybe it wasn't taken care of but I still don't think I can get really comfortable in the seat, new car or rental.

I’m Interested to hear others feedback on this.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:34 PM

ML 350-Black=Sold. New 08 C300 4Matic, Black/Black, P1, Ipod, Auto7speed, 10/10 hit 100,000 miles
I had an 06 ML350 and decided to downsize. The ML is much heavier and yes smoother ride. It took me a few days to get comfortable in the C300 Sport 4Matic but now I am happy and glad I did switch. Better mileage. It's more nimble and handles great! did I mention quickerrrrrr..............
Old 07-09-2008, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Funny..I had an 06 ML and it rode like a truck(although at the time I thought it rode quite well until I got my R). My 08 R class beats it in ride and comfort...matter a fact it beats the C class as well in those areas too.

I'll agree with you on some of the wind noise, the over sized mirrors are to blame for that. The ML would be lucky to have such large sized mirrors though, always felt that they were too small for the size of the vehicle. Ha ha but I have to admit the C mirrors are too large for such a small vehicle, maybe they just need to switch up.

As much as I complain about my C class from time to time its still a very nice car, a conclusion I came to the other day while at a Honda dealership. Not only was I treated poorly there, but I decided that while the Accord sports more interior room, more trunk space, more options, more engine, and less of a sticker price, it just can't compare to a Benz. If you stick with a C class under $40k you will be happy, any C class over that price and I feel your paying too much and would be close to getting into ML/R class territory.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:32 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Mommie van the next step?

<<If you stick with a C class under $40k you will be happy, any C class over that price and I feel your paying too much and would be close to getting into ML/R class territory.>>

This is an amazing statement. Regardless of cost, I would not consider an R or ML at any price. I'm not alone in this since the R classes are not selling at all, most likely because of their looks. Neither are cars and are OK for trips to the mall or golf club where something has to be hauled.

And yes, my C300 cost more than 40K. What is significant about that threshhold?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Well the ML(we have one as well, no Airmatic) has a very soft suspension, theres virtually no firmness to it at all. It's also very quiet, quieter than our E350, pretty much no wind noise. Our C300 on the other hand definitely has wind noise on the freeway, which is a disappointment considering the old W203 had/has no wind noise at all. But still, I LOVE my C300, theres something to how a Mercedes drives that no other car can match. Very solid. The only thing that disappoints me is the transmission that lags and refuses to downshift sometimes, the wind noise, and a few creaks already starting up in the interior. Otherwise it's a great car.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
i agree with the windnoise, must be those massive side mirrors, also seems like wind is coming from the rear passenger door area, cheap seals maybe?

I've gotten use to it, accepted that its not a perfect car, but i still love it!
I also have have 08 ML in the garage, and when i do drive it, feels very solid quiet and strong.....
Old 07-10-2008, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by angeloxnet
i agree with the windnoise, must be those massive side mirrors, also seems like wind is coming from the rear passenger door area, cheap seals maybe?

I've gotten use to it, accepted that its not a perfect car, but i still love it!
I also have have 08 ML in the garage, and when i do drive it, feels very solid quiet and strong.....
I think there is a TSB for early build cars that addresses such wind noise issues. Have the dealer check into them or PM Konigstiger for the actual bulletin itself.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:25 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Ours was produced in June of '07 in Bremen, and I'm coming out of a W203 - I have no problems with wind noise, period.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by angeloxnet

I had wind noise from the same area, told the dealer at the 1000 mile check and they adjusted the rear door. No more noise.

Last edited by Ron Jr; 07-10-2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: speeling
Old 07-10-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
I had wind noise from the same area, told the dealer at the 1000 mile check and they adjusted the rear door. No more noise.
My dealer told me to just deal with it. Nice to know this so when I take it back, I'll have them look at it again.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM

'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
I agree with the OP on the seats, they are my biggest gripe. My '08 Nissan Frontier is 10X's more comfortable believe it or not. Before we got our W204 MB dealers still had plenty of allocated W203's in inventory and we actually almost ended up with one. We demonstrated three. The first one a 2006 C230 40K CPO and previous daily rental. Although admittingly more comfortable than or '08 this car rode and felt like a 10 year old car, squeaks, rattles, felt lose and worn so to speak. They also had a 2006 CPO ML 350 base model they were going to sell for like $35K and it too felt used and abused, also had a lose driver seat etc... in the end I'm glad we got the W204.

-Ryan
Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts
325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Fuel

Originally Posted by akbro93704
..The only thing that disappoints me is the transmission that lags and refuses to downshift sometimes..
Just a thought -

If you haven't already, experiment with a different fuel brand. When we lived in Hawaii, Shell always gave our BMW more punch. Here in the Bay Area, Chevron gave our C300 more pep which Shell fuel did not have.

In short, the combination of the car, climate, and available fuel in specific areas will always yield different results, so any pre-conceived notion of which fuel "works" may not necessarily be true, especially if you've been using the same brand (or station) for a while. I too wondered what that non-eagerness to downshift was all about, until I tried a few tanks from the "other" brand.

Wouldn't hurt to try.

Best Regards,
Paolo

Last edited by cvx5832; 07-10-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by RLE
<<If you stick with a C class under $40k you will be happy, any C class over that price and I feel your paying too much and would be close to getting into ML/R class territory.>>

This is an amazing statement. Regardless of cost, I would not consider an R or ML at any price. I'm not alone in this since the R classes are not selling at all, most likely because of their looks. Neither are cars and are OK for trips to the mall or golf club where something has to be hauled.

And yes, my C300 cost more than 40K. What is significant about that threshhold?
There are those that like the R and those who don't...those who don't haven't driven one. Yes there is a lack of cargo room with the third row in the seating position but that is easy solved when you fold them into the floor. There is more leg room than an S class in it and that speaks volumes in my book after seeing people be crammed into the back of the C. And the $40k threshold is quite simple...over $40k for a C class is just crazy, a ML or R class would have more room, more cargo, about the same mpg, and better resale value. Over $40k also puts you into cars in the same model class that would give you better value for your dollar such as a BMW 3 series (the last statement going by 08 figures, the 09 C's will have similar options as the 3 but the price has yet to be determined on them). Its all a matter of opinion though, as I've seen many here pay way over $40k and be happy doing it, just not me.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
I have an early build W204 and I don't really notice the wind noise.
When I switched to a dedicated high performance summer tire, tire noise is very noticable.

I actually like the firm ride of my Sport, you should try the Luxury model as it has a softer suspension and the optional leather seats are softer too.

If you need more space I also would second for the R-class. They have been really slow sellers and you should get a really great deal on them. I think the styling is very nice, even nicer than the all too common SUV looks of the ML. It's a great alternative to a SUV or wagon, and not too much like a soccer mom minivan.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
This car is super loud. Even louder than my previous car (I still have the 02 Nissan Altima), but I just assumed that it was the mirrors causing the noise. Whenever I visit my parents, my father comments on the cabin noise... and then I gotta defend myself and M-B by saying, "Come on, Dad, you can't compare anything to a Lexus in terms of cabin noise. "

It's not unbearable, though. I was gonna just deal with it, as it doesn't bother me too much, but if there's a TSB, I'll look into that.

As for the suspension, however, I'm the opposite of many posters on this thread. I don't think it's firm enough. I have the Sport model, and it's too soft. So now I'm considering an "upgrade" in suspension components. To each his own?

EDIT: As for the looks of the R-class, I've always thought it was garbage. I simply couldn't understand why anyone would buy such an ugly, crappy car.

BUT... looking at chilledbenz's now-gone sig pic of the R so many times, I've grown to like it. Also, I've ridden in it a few times at the dealership where the Rs are used as shuttles, and it's kinda cool. Especially with the pano roof--it's HUGE! Try a test-drive. It might change your mind.

Last edited by narky; 07-10-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:21 PM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Why is the car loud? Hmm. Maybe ....

Mine does not suffer from wind noise, and I appreciate the large mirrors. But the cabin is fairly loud at speeds above 60 mph.

Possible reasons?
- the noise transfer from tires into the cabin is high. In a previous car I resolved that with better tires. I've got the Michelins, and strongly suspect them to be a huge reason for noise. When they wear out, I'll try to fix that.
- the spare tire is set in a plastic bodied compartment. Most likely it transfers noise. With my P2, the rear seats fold, and it's likely that they will allow noise transfer more so than fixed seats.
- so far I have no way of knowing, but I strongly suspect that the floor boards are not noise-proofed. With a pad, carpet, and carpeted floor mat, most cars are fairly quiet, but not this one. Hmm.
- don't forget that sunroof. Any car with a sunroof will be louder than those without. Since I leave mine with the slider open, so light gets in, it's probably letting in a lot of noise.

So, can these be resolved? Dunno. I do just let the radio add it's own noise and things blend together. At slower speeds (35 to 55) the car is fairly quiet and fun. At highway speeds it's loud.

I don't think it's a form factor thing. I think that some of what I've listed above contribute to this, and maybe MB could resolve the issue?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
The stock tires are hard as rocks. You need some softer tires for better sound insulation. The harder the tire the better the fuel economy since the rolling resistance is less.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
The tires are loud. When I they go, I am getting P Zero Nero M+S. They are the most quiet performance tire I have ever had. They last really long too. As for the seats, they are not the most comfortable. MB supposedly spent a lot of time developing them.