C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-09-2015, 02:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Speakers locations and sizes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 G35
Speakers locations and sizes

Hello all.....first post.

So am really looking in to getting a C350 when the 09's start rolling in steady. I was sold on the 08 G35 until I test drove my boss's C350....and although the G35 is really nice, the C class "Feels" different...it's more "me"

If I get this car, I plan on replacing the stock speakers and amps with something.....better...

I do like the factory sound....but the Low end transient response and mid high clarity is lacking. Even more amazing is that fact that MB only put Bass and treble controls. I WILL use the Factory radio's Dolby and DTS decoding....there is no way around that. I dont really hear a lot going on with the whole integrated microphone ajusting the acoustics....so I plan on runnning an EQ inline...so here are my questions:

what are the 12 speaker locations and sizes in the Harmon Kardon 450 watt setup?? (I can't find anything from the dealer...nor crutchfeild)

Has anybody else here done a custom install to C300 or 350?

Where is the subwoofer?

thanks for any replies in advance......

Last edited by danielisaiah; 07-21-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Hope this helps.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=speakers

Last edited by Ron Jr; 07-21-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added Search results
Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I commented on that last thread but now I know where the locations are.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/245690-c350-car-audio-upgrade-question.html

I wonder if they decided to actually use the cut out locations near the door handle in the rear doors for 2009?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:09 PM

2005 G35
Ok,

first off thanks for the replies guys.....

so looks like it the 12 speaker sizes are:

Front dashboard:
3 -1/4in driver (handles center channel duties)

Front Doors:
6 -1/2in mid range drivers and 1-1/2in tweeters (front stereo stage)

Rear doors (this is where it gets confusing):
6 -1/2in coaxial on bottom and "fake" tweeter location on top (mb counting this coaxial as 2 speakers in 1)

Rear Deck Lid:
two 3 -1/4in drivers for rear surround stage / image

Sub: (in the rear desk lid as well)
6 X 9in down firing driver (using the trunk as a "free air" type enclosure.

So lets talk about the "rear" speakers....first off, he mystery remains as to why MB decided to build a location in the rear doors to house a tweeter and didn't put one there...instead going for the coaxial setup....strange project snafu probably.

I'm trying to figure out an approach that will replace the stock speakers with better after market drivers and amps. The problem i'm running into now that I think about is the Surround. My boss dosent have the HK / MM setup so I can't use his as a reference.

So my questions to any MM / HK owners out there:

What are the sound controls in your system?

Can you control bass LEVEL in Db as a separate function other than the bass / mid / treble for EQ balance etc. (Most after market heads can do this)?

When playing CD's and Music, are the rear surround and center channel speakers in use?

and last but not least...

Does anybody know where the stock amplifier(s) are in the car?

Again, thanks for any replies in advance. Hopefully this thread will truly clairify what is and is not possible in aftermarket sonic additions to the car.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:29 PM

2011 C63
Hi

What are the sound controls in your system?

Sound (EQ) controls are only Bass and Treble.... and obviuously the ballance/fade. You can also turn on/off the Logic7 setting.

Can you control bass LEVEL in Db as a separate function other than the bass / mid / treble for EQ balance etc. (Most after market heads can do this)?

Not exactly sure what you mean by this... the bass is adjusted using the control knob and simply setting the bass to a lower or higer setting on the screen.

When playing CD's and Music, are the rear surround and center channel speakers in use?

Yes. All the speakers are used.

and last but not least...

Does anybody know where the stock amplifier(s) are in the car?

stock amps are in the trunk in one of the side compartments. Not sure which one as I haven't looked into it.

Also, I wanted to add...This is'n't the 1st time I've seen your comment about the non existent tweeters in the rear doors. I have the full Command/Nav/HK system and can say for certain that THERE ARE tweeters there. When I put my ear up to the grill beside the door handle I can definatly hear the music.... When Logic7 is both on and off. So I dunno what the deal is with some ppl not having them. Something to ask the dealer maybe?

Hope this helps..!
Cheers
Old 07-21-2008, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
why didnt i get the HK
Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 AM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
Originally Posted by angeloxnet
why didnt i get the HK
One the big mistakes I made also while ordering my car. I should have gone for it instead of surround 6 speakers setup.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:32 AM

E63
HK will be coming out of my car

Originally Posted by angeloxnet
why didnt i get the HK
Current CLK has a nice setup consisting of Focal separates for front doors and focal for the rears. (Yest the CLK has both sets of speakers in the door, one towards the front and one towards the back.) Also built a custom 8" enclosure into the floor board of the passenger side. 2 amps and and audiocontrol LC6 for the high to low level tap.

I intend to take that system out and put it into the 350 but whats this I hear about small speakers in rear deck? I'm concerned with the bluetooth/voice activation/ etc all working properly. Any one know reputable shops around Wilmington, NC?

PS CLK will be on consignment some time next month.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 PM

2005 G35
So I dunno what the deal is with some ppl not having them. Something to ask the dealer maybe?
I think I know what the deal is here. The Tweater locations in the rear doors are there no matter what....but there is only tweeter in them if you have the HK system. I looked at my bosses ride and sure enough, I cant hear anything coming out of them, I can see that there is a coaxial on the bottom....and he has the standard audio setup.

Peter biz (or anybody else) - So when you have logic 7 turned on, you have no other control other than bass /treble / fade and balance?

I would imagine that you would be able to control the surround levels etc(like a home system) I ask that question because if you can't control those levels individually then a custom install might not be possible. the game plan is to install better amps and speakers, but the problem here is that the head unit might not like the difference in sound pressure level. I qoute from the MBUSA website: "and integrated microphone monitors vehicle acoustics and ajusts frequency responce to deliver an optimal sound experience".

Is there anyway to turn this off? if not then even just adding a sub might cause issues with the way the car is EQ'ing itself.

if anybody can post pics of audio control page on a MM / HK system that would be great.

thanks in advance for any replies
Old 07-23-2008, 01:06 AM

2005 G35
UPDATE:

Went to a dealer and had them show me a C350 with a HK MM setup....Took it for a test drive and brought my own Data CD full of MP3's...which the car picked up just fine. the Salesman was cool....he let me CRANK the stereo (young dude). I told him I was waiting for the 09's to buy.

As stated on other forums, the Logic 7 imaging is really good, even for stereo sources. But this system dosent sound good unless the Bass and treble are all the way up (+10)

The bass response is cool but dosent hit or move the music...needs a little more. that "6x9 transducer" just cant get down.

So what I might do, now that I have heard the system, is just add a sub. I might just throw a pre amp'd bazooka 8" or 10" back there in the trunk. I keeping getting wind from some other posts that the wiring in this car is fibre optic? If so, how have others added a subwoofer to the car? I imagine that you would somehow have to re-route from the OEM "sub" to the aftermarket sub...???

Has anybody out there put added a sub to a HK setup?