C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Have you had a lot of problems with you 08 / 09 C300? I hoping to trade up next year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 BMW 328i
Have you had a lot of problems with you 08 / 09 C300? I hoping to trade up next year

So I currently drive a 2005 TSX.

That said, the TSX is not exactly powerful and I really miss the RWD (had a G35 coupe for a while that I traded away.. long story) so I'm thinking of getting a 2009 C300 maybe sometime in early 2009. That and the new 2009 TSXes are garbage and the W204 looks fantastic (best looking car in the segment by far I think).

So I was hoping to know just how reliable the C300 is as far as all the electronics and such. I don't plan on buying a ton of options on the car, but it would be really annoying if the car had to be in the shop to fix random small issues all the time. My mom drives a 2008 328i and the windshield started cracking the first week, and my dads 2004 X3 was in the shop all the time for crap like window motors failing, so maybe I have some skepticism of German cars (then again Mercedes is not BMW). I suppose I'm somewhat afraid of making the commitment. I borrow my father's business partners '99 slk230 for a couple weeks 4-5 years ago and it was a great driving car, but the radio and the hardtop were broken. He did however say that mercedes makes the best cars and it did drive great...

I've heard the new w204 is much more reliable than the W203 and I'm assuming some of you on this forum have had yours for a year already and was hoping to know what types of problems you've had? I have had the TSX for 3 years and have basically only put oil in it and rotated the tires.... it would be nice if a mercedes was like that, but I'm not expecting it and its probably worth it to drive something a little more exciting / powerful.

Last edited by hans007; 08-06-2008 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
You can see my level of Mercedes experience below; I've also had 38 other cars, mostly new, and mostly imports, including all of the Japanese makes, since 1962.

Our W204 has 9300 miles and exactly one year under its belt, with zero issues so far. We got the first car off the first shipment to the Pacific NW region, built in Bremen in June of 2007. Couldn't be happier, unless they were offering the new twin-turbo 4 cyl diesel.....

Our W203 was made about 18 months into production [early 2002], and its problems were minimal - needed a wheel alignment right at delivery, later needed the horns replaced, and had one TSB installed for corroded connectors on the ESP/BAS system. Still, in my mind, there is no comparison - the new car is an improvement in just about every possible way.

I'll admit I go out of my way to keep our cars relatively simple - I avoid electronic doo-dads when I can, and prefer the closest thing to a base car I can find. In any case, my sample of one is a positive for the W204.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350 Sport
no problems with my 08 350 yet

it's not even a week old and has less than 250 miles on it
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM

'08 C300 Sport White w/ P2 MM & Pano
I've had a lot of problems with my C300. Squeaking mirrors, screeching roof, check engine light (faulty O2 sensor), bluetooth won't disconnect after a call has ended, fog light cracked due to poor placement, rear door pins popped off, rattling noise behind the multimedia screen..

That's all I can remember. Some of these issues were resolved, some weren't.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts
325Ci, 325Cic, C300
I also came from a brief stint with an '07 TSX, and while I loved that car, I love the Mercedes even more. Makes me want to go out and drive!

No issues so far. Oh, the door pins, but nothing a little gel super glue couldn't fix.

Best Regards,
Paolo
Old 08-06-2008, 11:48 AM

2008 C-Class
We have our car for 8 months now and no problems at all after 21,000 km.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
i have squeeky mirrors, but a visit to the dealer, they luped it up and said i should observe for now and see if it continues.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:33 PM

2008 MB C300; 2007 Acura RDX
Hey, I came from an 04 TSX and love the C ... only issues were seat heater not working and squeaky mirrors which they replaced both of.

No regrets, aside from the bit extra money that's missing from my bank account now every month
Old 08-06-2008, 01:02 PM
hmc

2009 C300 Sport 6MT
I did research before I bought my first Mercedes-C300. W204 appears to be reliable.

I had a 2006 BMW 525 and it keeps leaking auto transmission fluid and I returned to BMW under lemon law recently.

This time, I bought a C300 base model (manual transmission). I figured:
1. Engine is not first year engine so it should be reliable
2. Manual transmission is a very matured, simple technology. So, I don't expect problems there.
3. Because of the manual transmission, there is very little, if any, electrical communication between engine and transmission. Another area to cut potential electrical issues.
4. No GPS or fancy electrical options also minimize risk of issues.

I have the feeling that this car will not give me a lot of trouble.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:03 PM

2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
Originally Posted by jrct9454

I'll admit I go out of my way to keep our cars relatively simple - I avoid electronic doo-dads when I can, and prefer the closest thing to a base car I can find. In any case, my sample of one is a positive for the W204.
I agree with JohnR and HMC here.

I kept my C350 to the base configuration explicitly to avoid electrical complications. My only indulgence was metallic paint.

The P1 package, which is standard on the 350, has all the "doo-dads" I need.

I do wish I had got the Leather upgrade, however.

I intend to keep this car at least 10 years and hope to put 200,000 miles on it before I set it free.

I may have chosen differently if it were leased...
Old 08-06-2008, 05:16 PM

2013 BMW 328i
Cool, from your responses it doesn't seem like abnormally bad especially for a first year model.

I was probably going to get mostly a base model C300 , 7AT with probably the UMI if they have it out by then (universal media interface) since it has everything I really need (I live in CA, no need for heated seats, and I can live without sat radio, or a nav system , dimming mirrors and auto wipers are nice, but i can live without buying P1/P2 considering most of it is just "fluff")

I mean I'm surprised by the value of the C300, after doing some searching it generally has base everything anyone would want. I mean the current 2009 TSX has about the same real world "useable" stuff standard and more, but it drives and looks like garbage apparently. The c300 is actually one of the less expensive cars for what I want that is actuallly well important (rwd, bluetooth, auto, sunroof, 17" rims, etc)

I looked around and it seems like something like bluetooth (which you really do have to have in CA pretty much) is an option on most cars and comes in some package where you have to take a bunch of useless crap with it ($2200 package on the G35 , bmw 3 series, premium pack also). Not to mention the 3 you have to pay extra to get more than 16!!! inch rims. Its proably $4000 if not more difference between a C and 328. Not to mention the 328i isnt really that much of a looker.

Anyhow, thanks for the help guys. I figure even the japanese makes arent that reliable for someone unlucky as it is (tons of acura TL owners had problems, my friends mazdaspeed 6 has been in the shop 20 times!)

Last edited by hans007; 08-06-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Would you rather wait for an '09 or try and get a really good deal on an '08? Base C300 will likely give you the least deprecation so that it a double bonus if you can steal an '08. Just a thought...

Glad to hear your leaning our way!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 AM

c300
Originally Posted by atiqa
I've had a lot of problems with my C300. Squeaking mirrors, screeching roof, check engine light (faulty O2 sensor), bluetooth won't disconnect after a call has ended, fog light cracked due to poor placement, rear door pins popped off, rattling noise behind the multimedia screen..

That's all I can remember. Some of these issues were resolved, some weren't.
I've had all that, plus intermittent problems where the transmission won't engage reverse or drive until it's shifted back to park. Also still having blue smoke on startup if the car's sat for more than a day or two (but still no noticeable change in oil level). Oh, and the weak front grill that's broken twice and cost money for a body shop to removed the entire front bumper because it can't be replaced from the front. That accompanies a really nasty diesel sounding rattle from the engine. But of course the dealer keeps marking, 'normal operation' on all my complaints.

Nothing a show stopper ... well, that blue smoke might end up being at some point ... but other than that, it's a perfectly mediocre car.

My opinion entirely, but I'm not all that impressed. I'll be moving on from this car (and Mercedes) just as soon as I can.

Oh, and btw, I already have tried. The same dealer that sold it to me would only give me <$12k less than I paid for it 8mo and 6800 miles previously. And that was with me negotiating to trade up to an E350 that they wanted to move. (a few months before almost $5/gal gas killed the car market)
Old 08-07-2008, 01:20 AM

2013 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by Krytech
Would you rather wait for an '09 or try and get a really good deal on an '08? Base C300 will likely give you the least deprecation so that it a double bonus if you can steal an '08. Just a thought...

Glad to hear your leaning our way!

Yeah, I thought about it, but I figure my car is a 2005 with 40k miles on it. I've got 1 year and 2 months and 10k miles left on the warranty... so at the rate I'm driving it will be minimal depreciation if I say buy a 2009 in march. (since my car will be 4 model years old either way...) . That and my company's bonus plan is tied to our sales, and we might actually get it early next year (did not get it last year)....

But yeah really its either a C300 or just keeping my car and waiting for other things to come out. Unless I find like 20 pounds of gold bars on my doorstep tommorrow then I could change my mind.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Had a flooded rear seat floor area (good 2 inches of water) due to a faulty a/c condenser tube. The padding/insulation was replaced front to back and a new tube was installed. The interior has squeaks and groans as if it were five years old and one of the front fog lamps has been cracked (common problem on the Sport models). Seems that the problems vs. the people with no problems is equaling out now though, there for awhile it was post after post of problems. Good news is I can only recall one or two posts in which the car was inoperable due to some sort of fault, most of them have been minor. A 2009 model should have the issues addressed, just don't expect it to be a Acura/Honda and you will be fine.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:40 AM

2013 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Had a flooded rear seat floor area (good 2 inches of water) due to a faulty a/c condenser tube. The padding/insulation was replaced front to back and a new tube was installed. The interior has squeaks and groans as if it were five years old and one of the front fog lamps has been cracked (common problem on the Sport models). Seems that the problems vs. the people with no problems is equaling out now though, there for awhile it was post after post of problems. Good news is I can only recall one or two posts in which the car was inoperable due to some sort of fault, most of them have been minor. A 2009 model should have the issues addressed, just don't expect it to be a Acura/Honda and you will be fine.
yeah, i'm definitely not expecting honda/acura reliability, but i'm hoping its more fun to drive (Though the tsx is fun for a honda). Based on the other 2 former tsx owners who posted here, I'm figuring its probably worth it.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by hans007
yeah, i'm definitely not expecting honda/acura reliability, but i'm hoping its more fun to drive (Though the tsx is fun for a honda). Based on the other 2 former tsx owners who posted here, I'm figuring its probably worth it.
The C300 is pretty bland...if your wanting a C class to be sporty your going to be disappointed...its way to heavy (with auto and 4matic) to have any thoughts of being sporty, but its a great open road cruiser. I actually regret getting the Sport model now and wish I had gotten the Luxo version after having one for a loaner. I didn't get the Sport model thinking it would be sporty I knew ahead of time what I was getting, I just think the ride is so much better in the Luxo version. (plus no broken fogs)
Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 AM

2013 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
The C300 is pretty bland...if your wanting a C class to be sporty your going to be disappointed...its way to heavy (with auto and 4matic) to have any thoughts of being sporty, but its a great open road cruiser. I actually regret getting the Sport model now and wish I had gotten the Luxo version after having one for a loaner. I didn't get the Sport model thinking it would be sporty I knew ahead of time what I was getting, I just think the ride is so much better in the Luxo version. (plus no broken fogs)
im coming from a fwd car with 166 lb ft of torque. i'm not expecting a lancer evo or anything, but i want a good balance i guess. I mean it should be less anteseptic than an IS250 or 350 (awful drive from lexus test drive event i went to). I've owned a g35, and I am not going to even expect that... but somewhere between a tsx and g35 i think i'd be happy with as far as sportiness.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:40 PM

2007 Avalanche LT, 2009 C300
was this a smart move ?

coming from a mitsubishi evo viii here... hmm ordered mine like a few weeks ago should be here in the first week of september.... starting to worry here since my evo has been a blast to drive with zero problems from day one... hoping i didn't make a mistake here, since i essentially bought this thing on an impulse... don't handle problems well have always been use to changing the oil and putting gas in my rides with only scheduled stops by the dealer... the only down side i was thinking and this was a big one was performance, oh and stupidly ordering a 08 when the 09 had just been released...but if reliability is going to be an issue then... well i guess i just have to wait and see...
Old 08-18-2008, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by jamaicakevkev
coming from a mitsubishi evo viii here... hmm ordered mine like a few weeks ago should be here in the first week of september.... starting to worry here since my evo has been a blast to drive with zero problems from day one... hoping i didn't make a mistake here, since i essentially bought this thing on an impulse... don't handle problems well have always been use to changing the oil and putting gas in my rides with only scheduled stops by the dealer... the only down side i was thinking and this was a big one was performance, oh and stupidly ordering a 08 when the 09 had just been released...but if reliability is going to be an issue then... well i guess i just have to wait and see...
You'll like the C. I have had the really fast econo-cans too. The C Class, while not on par with the some of the more expensive MBs, will make you feel like you made the right choice. They are not super quick (they don't suck), but they ride great on the highway at high speeds. You won't have the choppy, buzzy feel and you won't be as fatigued at the end of a trip.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:42 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by jamaicakevkev
well, think of it as growing up from boy toy car to entry level luxury...

having said that, i think you will be disappointed moving from japanese to german in terms of reliability. my old legend had zero problem... my bimmer... nothing major but your typical electrical issues (headlights blowing out every 6 months, shorting power windows.. ) I can't say much about the c300 yet.

oh and I buy and keep my car atleast 4+ yrs, not lease. so my experiences includes year 3 and on.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 PM

2013 BMW 328i
My TSX is pretty "buzzy" if you have to say pass someone on the freeway.

I guess if you were lazily driving at 65mph and just a conservative commuter it would be fine, but if you need to pass someone its vtec thrashing city. its cool in its high revving vtec way, but its also somewhat lame, in that you are hitting 7000 rpm and barely passing an suv.

i suppose i just love cars in general, you can have fun in anything its all just different types of fun.

I am not sure how long I will hold out. hahah, I thought everyone at my apartment building drove mostly econoboxes, but this weekend someone traded their 10 year old saab for a black amg package C300. So I have to look at it every day when I drive in from work.

Its killing me.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 AM

2010 C300
Just FYI...I have a C300 '10 4matic...and it's been one darn problem after the next. First, rear seat belt malfunction which caused airbag light issue...took forever for them to fix (couldn't pass state inspection!!!) Now the rain-sensing wipers go nuts when it's dry out...and barely move when it's pouring....now I just discovered my seat heaters dont' work at all!!! UGH!!!