C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

[2009] W204 vs. A4 vs. IS vs. E90 vs. CTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
Originally Posted by yxc145
wow, you really hate AUDI huh?
I don't hate Audi. I just don't get all the ga-ga crazy adoration. It seems quite ordinary and like all the A4's before it.

Besides, this is an MBz forum. Better to go to an Audi board and join the circle jerk over there.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:55 PM

2008 C350
BMW- Even with the refresh, it's just a bit too boring for my taste in terms of styling. The performance is there though, that's for sure.

Audi- The update is a very welcomed one for me. I personally love those LEDs Audi is doing in the front of their cars, but there still is just something that doesn't appeal to me about Audi. Not sure what.

Lexus- Ick. I sat in it, and it's clear that it's the "baby" Lexus. Small and ugly, in my opinion.

Cadillac- Was so close to getting this car. There was a fully loaded black/black one that I looked at. Perfection. I ultimately decided to save a bunch of money by getting the C instead. The CTS is a bit pricey.

Benz- My car. I enjoy it without a doubt. Sometimes the interior doesn't really impress me as much as I would like, but that's my only gripe.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:31 PM

c300
I had an e90 ... okay car, probably would've kept it but it was black (my first and only black car that I will ever own) and manual; I was getting tired of the wife *****ing. Even when it was new I thought it was borderline ugly.

I currently have a C300 and hate just about everything about it except for the panoramic sunroof. I do honestly believe it's a hyundai quality car with $15k worth of pointed star badges. But it rides reasonably well while also handling reasonably well. It's just not special, and tons of little things that either don't work right, or were deleted content. Stuff that other manufacturers easily get right, but Mercedes apologists will go out of their way to defend.

My next car will probably be the A4. It'll be my 5th Audi, and even though we have just as many small issue with my wife's Q7 as we do my C300, the Audi dealers in our area treat their customers much better than what I've experienced at the MB dealer. But I also live the PacNW and we like our AWD cars because of all the rain/occasional snow/ability to head up in the mountains.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:50 PM

09 c300 4matic
In what order is your choice of ride?
(Feel free to add any car in this class)

I was looking only at AWD's.

1. S4
2. CTS4
3. 335xi
4. IS250 AWD
5. C300 4MATIC
Old 08-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes Benz C300 4matic MM
When I was shopping for a new ride before coming to a decision on the 300 4matic was between WRS STi 335i 135i IS250 AWD.

I have liked the 335i since the first review I read about them, my buddy beat me to it, after driving in his 335i I noticed that its got performance, the interior design is lacking (but better multimedia interface USB,etc) Then I started looking for older WRS STi's, I just couldn't find the older style STi between 2002-2004, I like that look over the new ones. Finally decided to look at the high end luxury cars, I have test drove the IS250 AWD and the guy was going to sell me the full loaded top of the options priced at $47K tax incl., but it was a demo only with 1667kms on it, some about it just not what I want, the car is black with yellow/creamy leather cherry wood trim interior, I didn't like that combo, but their GPS is better in my option. I was still indecisive at first but after test driving the C it was pretty clear that I want the C sport, the drive is so much better, I can pick my own colors, feels so much stronger and it just looks awesome!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:54 PM

2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
For AWD it's easy to overlook the Jaguar X-Type but that's a great driving and handling car. Beautiful interior too. It's worth a test drive.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by GDawgC220
A4s have never had traverse engines. All A4s (and A6s) have been longitudinal which mean Quattro TorSen system. Traverse engines that use Haldex, if equipped, which is FWD based and bias. The only traverse engines in the Audi line up is the A3 and TT. Every other model is longitudinal which is 40:60 split or 50:50 split TorSen, depending on model.

The A4 is not based on a FWD platform, I'm not sure where you got that information from. Since '95 when it was introduced, the A4 has been on a MLP, modular longitudinal platform. You are able to get the A4 in FWD though with the longitudinal engine. Maybe you're thinking of the A3 which shares the platform with the GTI, which is a FWD platform.

The weight distribution is 55/45 compared to the previous 59/41. The front wheels were moved forward and engine more back to be less nose heavy, which shows when I drove it around the track. Much more toss able and very little plowing compared to previous generations.
well i stand corrected.

55/45 is not too bad either. thats for the 2.0 T i'm assuming, which i've driven in a GTI (seemed pretty nice, maybe a little coarse). Maybe I'll have to stop by an audi dealer.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:08 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by phranksmbz
In what order is your choice of ride?
Cadillac CTS4
MB E350
BMW 528xi
I choose to step away from this category of sedans as there are much better things I can be investing my money into right now and I don't really need the extra space, etc. Next car though....

After I drew that conclusion, I was left with:
MB C300 4Matic, C350
09 Audi A4
09 BMW 335i.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by hans007
well i stand corrected.

55/45 is not too bad either. thats for the 2.0 T i'm assuming, which i've driven in a GTI (seemed pretty nice, maybe a little coarse). Maybe I'll have to stop by an audi dealer.

The 55/45 is actually for the 3.2. Haven't been able to find numbers for the 2.0T yet.

The 2.0T in the B8 A4 is different. Compared to the 200hp/207tq in the B7 A4, A3/GTI, this new one has 211hp and 258lb-ft of torque! I test drove one today and it moves. The extra torque certainly helps pull the car. Very minimal turbo lag compared to my 1.8T.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:12 AM

c300
Originally Posted by wblynch
For AWD it's easy to overlook the Jaguar X-Type but that's a great driving and handling car. Beautiful interior too. It's worth a test drive.
They still make those!?!?
Old 08-17-2008, 12:17 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by oblu
They still make those!?!?
yea they do...i think it's gonna be the last year tho for 2009. honestly not a bad car as i've drove one before. just no recognition.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300

(Pictures of a standard TL not the Type S model)

Anyone thought to add the new Acura TL Type S to this mix. The specs aren't final, but rumors have it posting 330-350hp and SH-AWD. It's also grown in size to be in the neighborhood of the E class dimensions, all for less than a C350. Could be some competition for the cars mentioned above if they have upgraded their interior materials. Although I think it sort of looks like a bad rendering of a space ship ha ha.

By the way..the Jag X Type is dead...last year for it and the S Type.

As for which one of these cars is better or worse its all in the eye of the beholder. I've been a little vocal on this board about the bad taste my 08 C Sport has left in my mouth, but after driving a Luxo around as a loaner...I can see I just chose the wrong one. I think I would have been much happier had I went the Luxo route. All in all I think it would be too hard for me to get out of the Benz loop after all these years...they've hooked me those d*mn Germans ha ha ha.

Last edited by chilledbenz; 08-17-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:53 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by chilledbenz

Anyone thought to add the new Acura TL Type S to this mix. The specs aren't final, but rumors have it posting 330-350hp and SH-AWD. It's also grown in size to be in the neighborhood of the E class dimensions, all for less than a C350. Could be some competition for the cars mentioned above if they have upgraded their interior materials. Although I think it sort of looks like a bad rendering of a space ship ha ha.
Those pics are of the 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD version. The SH version has a 3.7 liter, 305 HP V6 and will be ~$40-42K. The TL Base will have a tuned up version engine that was in the 2007-2008 Acura TL Type-S, which is a 3.5 liter, 280 HP V6. The base model TL will start at ~$34k. For now, the SH-AWD version will be the replacement for the Type-S, but it's rumored that the Type-S will make a return in a few years.
Hate to say it, but the interior in the new TL embarrasses the W204.

Link to a review. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review
Attached Thumbnails [2009] W204 vs. A4 vs. IS vs. E90 vs. CTS-thumb1280x1280_2753458178_6e0579d235_o.jpg   [2009] W204 vs. A4 vs. IS vs. E90 vs. CTS-thumb1280x1280_2753471960_b7e42e0f0b_o.jpg   [2009] W204 vs. A4 vs. IS vs. E90 vs. CTS-thumb1280x1280_2753471336_97d0c2aeee_o.jpg  
Old 08-17-2008, 12:59 PM

2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
The looks of the new Acura lineup (aside from their SUVs) are terrible. I have no idea what kind of image they're trying to present. Maybe they are trying to be avant-garde in the Japanese car industry, but... ugh.

At least the interior and powertrain are still there. Though I am not a fan of AWD or FWD if they are offering it. The current TL is a good car, just FWD.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:16 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320

yes, sitting in new TL Type S feels like Captain Kirk... to boldly go where no man has gone before...

Last edited by QQQ; 08-17-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by jherbias
The looks of the new Acura lineup (aside from their SUVs) are terrible. I have no idea what kind of image they're trying to present. Maybe they are trying to be avant-garde in the Japanese car industry, but... ugh.

At least the interior and powertrain are still there. Though I am not a fan of AWD or FWD if they are offering it. The current TL is a good car, just FWD.
they dont even sell the TL in japan ... I think they do in china oddly.

I think the interior is pretty nice, but acura has pretty much killed all their cars. this new TL is probably the worst one, since the back , front and sides all look like they dont go together. and that grill. the new TSX is pretty bad too , though its mostly jus tthe grill since honda japan designed it for the most part and they just slapped the grill on it.

the TL on the other hand was american designed just like the last one. somehow i'm figuring the entire staff from the last go around quit or something.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
i think i like the current TL better now seeing those pic of the new TL. new front giant sheid grille on all Acura are horrible.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:57 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter

By the way..the Jag X Type is dead...last year for it and the S Type.

As for which one of these cars is better or worse its all in the eye of the beholder. I've been a little vocal on this board about the bad taste my 08 C Sport has left in my mouth, but after driving a Luxo around as a loaner...I can see I just chose the wrong one. I think I would have been much happier had I went the Luxo route. All in all I think it would be too hard for me to get out of the Benz loop after all these years...they've hooked me those d*mn Germans ha ha ha.
just wondering what part do you not like about the sport vs the luxury?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by FrankW
just wondering what part do you not like about the sport vs the luxury?
I was originally drawn to the Sport model because of the exterior, two tone gray interior and the "sport suspension". I have found that the only thing sporty about the Sport is its looks, everything else falls short. The fog light placement on Sport models was poorly engineered resulting in busted lenses (passenger side on my ride), the wider tires result in more road noise and vibration coming into the car. The two tone gray interior looks good, but turns blue from your pants quite quickly and that silver trim still bugs me from time to time. I can't stand when the sunlight reflects off the silver trim around the instrument cluster and the three spoke steering wheel just doesn't look right in this car for some reason.

When I had the Luxury loaner I found the over all looks of the car to be on par with the Sport model. I do like that Sport grille but that's easily changed out on the Luxury model. The tires being of the same width and of a larger sidewall offered a much smoother and quieter ride. I also found the wood interior trim much more inviting to look at and no silver trim around the instrument cluster to blind me. This particular car had the macadamia interior which I have in my R and I love, it doesn't show the blue hue from your pants nearly as fast (although it still does after time) but it looks so much more upscale in this color scheme.

Some of these things have been changed for 09 such as the macadamia and wood trim being offered in Sport models, but the fog lights and ride characteristics are still there. If I had to do it over I would go with the Luxury model, funny thing is when I got mine they had a Luxury version there at no wait, but I was so sucked in by the Sports exterior that I didn't even bother test driving the Luxury, I just ordered a Sport and was none the wiser.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
I was originally drawn to the Sport model because of the exterior, two tone gray interior and the "sport suspension". I have found that the only thing sporty about the Sport is its looks, everything else falls short. The fog light placement on Sport models was poorly engineered resulting in busted lenses (passenger side on my ride), the wider tires result in more road noise and vibration coming into the car. The two tone gray interior looks good, but turns blue from your pants quite quickly and that silver trim still bugs me from time to time. I can't stand when the sunlight reflects off the silver trim around the instrument cluster and the three spoke steering wheel just doesn't look right in this car for some reason.

When I had the Luxury loaner I found the over all looks of the car to be on par with the Sport model. I do like that Sport grille but that's easily changed out on the Luxury model. The tires being of the same width and of a larger sidewall offered a much smoother and quieter ride. I also found the wood interior trim much more inviting to look at and no silver trim around the instrument cluster to blind me. This particular car had the macadamia interior which I have in my R and I love, it doesn't show the blue hue from your pants nearly as fast (although it still does after time) but it looks so much more upscale in this color scheme.

Some of these things have been changed for 09 such as the macadamia and wood trim being offered in Sport models, but the fog lights and ride characteristics are still there. If I had to do it over I would go with the Luxury model, funny thing is when I got mine they had a Luxury version there at no wait, but I was so sucked in by the Sports exterior that I didn't even bother test driving the Luxury, I just ordered a Sport and was none the wiser.
well, regarding the ride comfort I think it's just the tires that are different. the profile are the same 225/45/17. suspension for 2008 is actually the same because the 'luxury' model MBUSA ordered are actually the Avantgarde/sport model. broken foglights are just luck from hitting road debris etc. I actually think the C350 handles quite well while still remain comfortable.

agree with you on the trim. not a fan of the aluminum trim in the w204. in the 203 the aluminum trim did not look as cheap. the birdseye maple in my 350 is much better. so far I don't have a problem with the jeans fading onto the seats. I think that depends on what brand of jeans you wear. my Energie and Echo Ultd jeans doesn't have issue with fading.

not really a fan of macadamia because in my experience the tan interior gets really dirty really quick. I'm not much of a 3 spoke steering wheel either.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by FrankW

agree with you on the trim. not a fan of the aluminum trim in the w204. in the 203 the aluminum trim did not look as cheap. the birdseye maple in my 350 is much better. so far I don't have a problem with the jeans fading onto the seats. I think that depends on what brand of jeans you wear. my Energie and Echo Ultd jeans doesn't have issue with fading.

not really a fan of macadamia because in my experience the tan interior gets really dirty really quick. I'm not much of a 3 spoke steering wheel either.
Well the good news is a wet wash cloth or some leather cleaner will take the blue hue right off, its not stuck on there ha ha. But the macadamia interior in my R class stays much cleaner than the gray/black combo in the C class, which surprised me, I figured the macadamia would show dirt more.

The reason I put the "sport suspension" in quotes is because if your looking at the Sport model they build it up as being something specific to that model, yet its the same on the Luxury version. Only difference being the ride height is a bit lower on Sport models. I'm thinking the wider rear tires are what cause most of the road noise and vibration, its not like a truck, but its more than in the Luxury model. Not really sure, but the Luxury model drove and felt like a whole different car to me.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 PM

09 c300 4matic
UPDATE ON 2009 IS PHOTOS:

Old 09-04-2008, 10:17 PM

I own 2008 C-350 2008 E-350 2005 C -230 Kompressor 2006 FORd F-350 6.0
Driven All types of bmw from All the M s to 335 inever ever drive one ever again. Always broken i do drive hard i drive em like a tank hard fast and through all terrain, bmw was alwys at the shop all of the one i drove. Plus look at it inside no tme at it boring like an old grandpa. Come on Audi horrible driving feel to me. Cadillac poor american dream car for those who still think GM Built good car yeah right. My mom has drvien a new caddy every year for past 20 years. TO me it make me barf horrible cars GM Yousuck........... build a car that lasts....... Mercedes oh man Status status status it all .......but dammmmmm this car is a tank ride like a fast high end sport car with a great feel to the road...... I defintly get a c350 never ever BMW Or Audi i driven A8 its all talk car suck the way it handled boring car to me.......... never ever I Buy Audi........im very picky for my rides i like speed and luxery feel
Old 09-05-2008, 01:09 AM

2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
Originally Posted by ATSOBE
Driven All types of bmw from All the M s to 335 inever ever drive one ever again. Always broken i do drive hard i drive em like a tank hard fast and through all terrain, bmw was alwys at the shop all of the one i drove. Plus look at it inside no tme at it boring like an old grandpa. Come on Audi horrible driving feel to me. Cadillac poor american dream car for those who still think GM Built good car yeah right. My mom has drvien a new caddy every year for past 20 years. TO me it make me barf horrible cars GM Yousuck........... build a car that lasts....... Mercedes oh man Status status status it all .......but dammmmmm this car is a tank ride like a fast high end sport car with a great feel to the road...... I defintly get a c350 never ever BMW Or Audi i driven A8 its all talk car suck the way it handled boring car to me.......... never ever I Buy Audi........im very picky for my rides i like speed and luxery feel
This picture makes more sense.
Attached Thumbnails [2009] W204 vs. A4 vs. IS vs. E90 vs. CTS-wrestling.gif  
Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 AM

09 c300 4matic
lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: [2009] W204 vs. A4 vs. IS vs. E90 vs. CTS