C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

w204 car cover? Does it cause more harm than it protects?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Cool w204 car cover? Does it cause more harm than it protects?

I am worried about scratching the surface clear coat by repeating taking it off and on each morning and night..

anybody have any tips from experience?

It is either that or leave it uncovered since my garage is currently being redone...

i figure car has to be SPOTLESS for cover to do any good..

wanted to see if you all had any experience with the OEM cover for the sport edition and what are the best ways to avoid scratches and if it was even worth covering since risk of scratching is so high with car covers....

thanks!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
If you do get a car cover....the good ones out there are really good in terms of material and won't damage the car (which would run counter to the whole point of car covers in the first place). If I wasn't so damn lazy (or had something better than just an entry level MB), I'd probably get one.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Covering

Originally Posted by rb23lb
I am worried about scratching the surface clear coat by repeating taking it off and on each morning and night..

anybody have any tips from experience?

It is either that or leave it uncovered since my garage is currently being redone...

i figure car has to be SPOTLESS for cover to do any good..

wanted to see if you all had any experience with the OEM cover for the sport edition and what are the best ways to avoid scratches and if it was even worth covering since risk of scratching is so high with car covers....

thanks!
You are correct in worrying about paint abrasion. If you cover it when it is not clean, you do run the risk of scuffing the paint even though the nano-particle clear coat is now very resistant to surface marks. Further, you will get the cover dirtier and dirtier which means it will have to be washed eventually. The other consideration is what do you do with it when it's wet? Heavy dew and so on.

My Porsche has always been covered in the garage but never when it has dirt or dust on it.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Originally Posted by RLE
You are correct in worrying about paint abrasion. If you cover it when it is not clean, you do run the risk of scuffing the paint even though the nano-particle clear coat is now very resistant to surface marks. Further, you will get the cover dirtier and dirtier which means it will have to be washed eventually. The other consideration is what do you do with it when it's wet? Heavy dew and so on.

My Porsche has always been covered in the garage but never when it has dirt or dust on it.

+1 if your gona put on a car cover make sure you wash it and dry it first then cover the car.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
I use the OEM cover for our C300, and have for every car we've had for the past 12 years or so.

Yes, the car has to be kept spotless, and yes, I do. When we're traveling, I wash the car at the end of each day before covering it at the motel....if the weather forecast is for rain, the cover stays off - ditto if high winds are in the picture. Otherwise, the car is covered at the end of each day, whether at home or on the road.

Yes, the cover will eventually get filthy - I figure on replacing it every 3 years. But I would never own a car I cared about without using a cover.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Thanks for your replies...

Ok, here is another question...

The main reason I want the cover is to prevent the car from getting morning dew on it from the cold air that condenses when the temperature drops overnight...

It only gets to about 70-75 degree over night, but coupled with the humidity, this has recently been condensing into a huge layer of dew that covers the entire vehicle each morning...

Naturally, when I start driving, I have to put the wipers on to see, and this collects with the fine dust, and in turn, makes a nearly clean car look like a dirt streaked scummy one!

How do I beat the dew when parking outside?

Even my OEM cover didn't stop all of it...

And it didnt rain I am sure.... just strictly dew!

pisses me off....
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 BMW 335xi titanium silver.
When I lived in Vancouver, I found the outdoor covers quite a hassle since the cover did not wick all the moisture, needed to be dried, and could be my imagination, noticed some rub marks on certain areas.

Mind you, it was many years ago, wasn't a MB and it was a dark colored car.

Finally, I decided to get the car professionally detailed, sealed and waxed. Washed it frequently instead.

Maybe of interest

http://calcarcover.com/how_to_select.aspx