C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

So, uh, can I please buy a car, Sir?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 300
So, uh, can I please buy a car, Sir?

So did I miss something with the sales climate out there? Does anybody have some insight on how well the C300 is selling right now? Very few '09s on the lot here locally. I won't mention the dealership name, but I just had a painfully familiar experience with the local dealership. Straight up bait and switch from a promised car to one they had on the lot, which I kept refusing. This went on for the 2 days of this weekend, with the last salesman admitting that they didn't have the car I was promised when I first walked in. They won't take an order (I must be missing something here), and they kept finding ways to steer me back to that car on the lot that I didn't want. When I finally stopped the negotiations, that's when I was told they actually didn't have a car (filing a complaint with the BBB, by the way; bait and switch in California is looked on as a true no no, or used to be anyhow.

Granted, I want a manual trans, and they are scarce with the MB "sport" crowd, but you'd think there would be a few, and better yet, you'd think you could order one. Did they turn off the lights in Germany or even SA?

Last edited by Distalero; 09-14-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
i "bought" and '09 back in the end of august.

the salesman called another dealership in Seattle, Washington and traded spots with him on the german factory car line.

then, he was able to change the options for me and the car will be ready by the beginning of november.

im sure thats what they have to do to get you the car you want.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:51 PM

2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
You don't say where you're located but you might try one of the large dealers in Southern California.

I like MB of Laguna Niguel and many like Fletcher Jones MB of Newport Beach. I'm sure either one can get you the car.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That is insane, I cannot imagine why I dealer would not order the car for you? Which dealer was this?
Old 09-14-2008, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
You won't say the name of the dealer but yet they screwed you? Not only that by not "naming": the dealer you allow for them to screw over many other future buyers.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
go to MB laguna niguel. Talk to Gerhard.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:08 PM

C 300
Originally Posted by micropower99
You won't say the name of the dealer but yet they screwed you? Not only that by not "naming": the dealer you allow for them to screw over many other future buyers.
Yeah, I understand your feelings, believe me, but I thought it was grounds for the thread to be censored if I did name names; the "two sides of the argument" and all (BS in this case; no uncertainty about who was yankin' who). Be assured that I will give them all the bad PR I can here locally, beginning at work tomorrow. Let's just say this all happened close to the capitol of the Fair State of Northern California

I did find a dealer about half an hour away who sounds a little more straightforward (she actually told me what area the promised car is right now. If I can believe that). Owned by the same group but at least these guys sound like they might supply a little vaseline with the experience.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I don't want this to sound like I'm taking the side of the dealership, because I'm not, what they did was wrong and unprofessional. But here's some insight on your questions. No the C300 isn't selling as briskly as it did at launch, the left over cars and heavy discounts are proof of that. Second for a dealership to get 2009 cars they must sell the 2008 models to get "order slips" for 2009's, this would explain why they were trying to put you into a car they had rather than one you wanted. Bad dealership!

On another note...the six speed transmission isn't the best transmission in the world, you might be better off taking a left over that has many more options for less than what you would pay to order a 2009 model. Not that this should be a priority, but keep in mind this cars resale is awful and having a manual transmission would make it even worse. So as I mentioned above, get a left over and get P1 and MM for the price of a 2009 base model.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
keep in mind this cars resale is awful
Its my first MB, is the resale value for MB always awful? and why is that?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:14 AM

05-350slk and 08-c350
Originally Posted by Distalero
Yeah, I understand your feelings, believe me, but I thought it was grounds for the thread to be censored if I did name names; the "two sides of the argument" and all (BS in this case; no uncertainty about who was yankin' who). Be assured that I will give them all the bad PR I can here locally, beginning at work tomorrow. Let's just say this all happened close to the capitol of the Fair State of Northern California

I did find a dealer about half an hour away who sounds a little more straightforward (she actually told me what area the promised car is right now. If I can believe that). Owned by the same group but at least these guys sound like they might supply a little vaseline with the experience.
i don't know why u guys didn't try carsdirect.com. At least use it as a reference for pricing.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:46 AM
hmc

2009 C300 Sport 6MT
I specifically pick 2009 base model over loaded 2008 automatics:

1. Discount may not justify 1-year depreciation and possible 1st year model issues
2. Manual transmission will be more reliable and durable
Old 09-15-2008, 10:25 AM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Originally Posted by 2nice4me
Its my first MB, is the resale value for MB always awful? and why is that?
I didn't think so when I bought mine in November ... but the world has changed since then. Gas/petrol fueled cars aren't in so much demand unless they are also a hybrid. I'm sure that has accelerated the value loss.

Looking at used cars, when you can find a 2008 C as a 'used' vehicle, the retail price isn't nearly as bad as the trade-in value. I'd guess that's normal.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:44 AM

C 300
Originally Posted by chilledbenz

...On another note...the six speed transmission isn't the best transmission in the world, you might be better off taking a left over that has many more options for less than what you would pay to order a 2009 model. Not that this should be a priority, but keep in mind this cars resale is awful and having a manual transmission would make it even worse. So as I mentioned above, get a left over and get P1 and MM for the price of a 2009 base model.
Well, needless to say, we've all heard the manual vs auto argument, with each side listing the faults of the other, and in my case I've heard of more problems with the automatic trans in the 08 model, to include the kind of stuff that autos do all the time ie, response that lags which I'm sure continues in the 09. Be that as it may, it's easier to find and fix problem parts in a manual, they get better gas mileage if that's a concern, and in my opinion they're a lot more fun.

And back to your opening comments, I understand that you find fault with this dealership as well, but I would have to add that "customer service" shouldn't really mean passing the business burden, as in moving a car they can't sell, off onto the customer. That may be an explanation but it isn't an excuse.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Mercedes Benz has always had a decent resale value, not as high as BMW or Lexus, but its been reasonable. My dealership always gives me the high number when it comes to trade in's due to how many cars I've bought from them, but thats not the case with other dealerships. For some reason Kelly Blue Book as the 2008 C class listed at below average for resale prices, could be they figured on a lot of these cars being on the market because it was the first year of a model change and many people would be buying it. The idea being if your selling something you have a whole lot of your willing to sell it cheaper than if you only had one or two of what ever your selling.

The comments on manual vs auto's has been gone over here before so I can't really add anything new to it, if you want a manual then thats what you should get(yes I agree they are more fun to drive). I was just making the statement that if he was concerned about resale that going with a left over auto car with more options for the same price as a base model manual would be a better choice. I found the manual in the C to be awful, so that sways my point I guess, just my thought on it though.

MB makes one car..the smallest hp car in their lineup as a manual...the rest are all autos, so reliability can't be that big of an issue with the autos..and I've never had any major issues with any of mine mind you I get rid of them after 50k miles though. Saddly even the exotic super car arena is switching to dual clutch autos as they can get a faster reaction time out of them and hold up to the hp better. Soon it will be rare to find manual equipped cars, I've driven both dual clutch and manual cars and both have their fun factor, but raking the gears yourself is always more fun..even if is slower.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:35 AM

2008 Steel Grey C300 Sport 6MT
i love the manual transmission and would not settle for an automatic if that is what you are looking for....it's why i chose the c300 instead of the c350
Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 AM

2013 C63 Coupe BS Conversion
Same here...my dealer couldn't find a manual anywhere so I decided to order one. Didn't want to settle for an automatic when I knew I'd be kicking myself afterwards for not waiting for what I really wanted. Now, I'm only about a month away from taking delivery of my new C stick!!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
When I went shopping for mine the salesman nearly laughed when I asked if they had any manuals on the lot. I was told it would be about a six month wait and I needed to replace my old car at that time.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Yeah, I understand your feelings, believe me, but I thought it was grounds for the thread to be censored if I did name names
You don't have to name names, where the dealer is located? streets and city?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 PM

C 300
I already gave a big clue. Street? Drive up and down Howe and you'll see it. Here's the thing: I have a more or less formal complaint out on this recent "adventure", so I don't want to compromise myself in it, in some way I'm not aware of.

I've had the time to ask around about this dealership and I'm told that MB wants this dealership to be bought out by one of the others in the surrounding area, based on the number and type of complaints, but who knows if that's true. I heard that from a car salesman, his mouth was moving, so I guess it can't be true