C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

where to pour transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c230 sc
Exclamation where to pour transmission fluid?

okay guys, i did a radiator change on my car, but alot of transmission fluid leaked out, im pretty sure i know where to pour the transmission fluid, but i want to be 100% sure

is it the plug that says " MB workshop only"? i have a 02 c230 kompressor so here is what im trying to figure out

1) where to pour the transmission fluid
2) is the drain plug a hex key located right behind the drain plug for the oil?
3) how much transmission fluid do i pour in?

p.s i already did a search and i couldent find anything, thanks for reading, please help!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:01 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Trans fluid

Originally Posted by 02c230562
okay guys, i did a radiator change on my car, but alot of transmission fluid leaked out, im pretty sure i know where to pour the transmission fluid, but i want to be 100% sure

is it the plug that says " MB workshop only"? i have a 02 c230 kompressor so here is what im trying to figure out

p.s i already did a search and i couldent find anything, thanks for reading, please help!
STOP!!

You must determine which type of trans fluid your car requires which is shown in your owners manual. Add nothing until you have this information.

Since you do not know how much fluid was lost, you should drain the trans and start over. The trans drain is on the side of the transmission's pan. If the trans fluid has not been changed in 38000 miles, you should also change the filter which is accessed by removing the pan which must then be reinstalled carefully, torqueing the bolts down properly.

BTW, there is no such thing as lifetime trans fluid which was a bright idea MB had about ten years ago. In 2005 they changed their thinking and made it every 38K miles because there had been too many trans failures due to old fluid.

Fluid is added through the transmission dipstick tube at the rear of the engine which has a cap that must be replaced after each removal since it breaks.

When refilling, add less than the total amount, then drive the car so the fluid is hot since it expands when hot. Check the level with the factory tool (your car doesn't have a dipstick, I suspect and you likely don't have the tool) which requires referring to the sheet (not available to owners) showing levels for your particular engine.

By now you have realized that you cannot check the level without the tool and reference sheet so you will have to approximate and then head to a dealer for a final level check. Driving the car with too little or too much fluid can be costly.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is there a 38K miles change interval even for the W204? I did 160K miles on lifetime fluid in a VW Tiptronic box. 38K seems very short, I usually change it every 75K.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 SPORT (white)
Originally Posted by 02c230562

hey ur in the wrong MB class this is W204
Old 09-16-2008, 11:55 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Fluid change

Originally Posted by nyca
Is there a 38K miles change interval even for the W204? I did 160K miles on lifetime fluid in a VW Tiptronic box. 38K seems very short, I usually change it every 75K.
I have not checked to see if MB has changed it's mind again but I think the service schedules for the W204 are in the service book that you have. As to driving 160K miles on the same fluid, you might check with your dealer for the cost of replacing the trans out of warranty and then decide for yourself.