MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   Leather seats or no? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/263066-leather-seats-no.html)

phranksmbz 09-30-2008 01:58 AM

Leather seats or no?

who here has the leather option and which one do you prefer ?

I thought i had leather this whole time untill my friend just bought a 335xi with dakota leather and made my interior just feel ruff. Mercedes say that its more durable than leather?

what do you think?

whkento 09-30-2008 02:07 AM

I have leather and like it. No choice here. Only leather available. Maybe the Avantgarde S only comes with leather seats. I think they have a bit more side bolster on 'em than regular C 300. Not sure, tho'.

akbro93704 09-30-2008 02:14 AM

I have MB-tex, it holds up great. All you need to do is take a wet cloth, and the material cleans up very easily. In order to keep leather feeling soft, you have to maintain it by using conditioners, etc. If not, over time itll turn rough and tough. To me, the only benefit of leather is when the car is brand new, it smells great and feels soft. MB-Tex looks good, feels soft enough and most importantly holds up very well over time.

akuma84 09-30-2008 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by akbro93704 (Post 3079504)
I have MB-tex, it holds up great. All you need to do is take a wet cloth, and the material cleans up very easily. In order to keep leather feeling soft, you have to maintain it by using conditioners, etc. If not, over time itll turn rough and tough. To me, the only benefit of leather is when the car is brand new, it smells great and feels soft. MB-Tex looks good, feels soft enough and most importantly holds up very well over time.

I'll second that :y

mac911 09-30-2008 02:32 AM

Yep, MB-Tex is very durable and still looks and feels nice.

Plus, since it saves money and holds up so much better, why not save an animal? :)

phranksmbz 09-30-2008 02:46 AM

So what do you clean MB TEX with?

Azn_C300 09-30-2008 03:23 AM

MB-Tex will generally hold up better over time compared to leather.

Derspeed 09-30-2008 09:42 AM

With only 1200 miles on it, I hadn't really done a complete interior detail to my C until yesterday. I wasn't sure if MB-tex was the right choice when I ordered the car, but it was. It is really tough.

I use Lexol products on my cars with leather interiors, so their vinyl care on the MB-tex was an easy choice. Most of it just rests on top of the MB-tex and you have to remove the excess it instead of working it in. It makes the MB-tex feel softer and way less grippy (I hate the MB-tex grip).

Anyway, I like how you can just wipe the entire interior down with a damp towel. You have to brush the fabric on the bottom of the doors to remove debris.

My experience last night put to rest any lingering thoughts that the C interior is cheap. On the contrary, it seems bomb-proof.

Ron Jr 09-30-2008 10:33 AM

Leather in mine. I'm not worried about wear I won't have it long enough. as mentioned Lexol is great for leather I never tried their vinyl product.

tanktube67 09-30-2008 12:38 PM

I have leather and I would not go any other way, durability it will depends how you'll take care of it.

phranksmbz 09-30-2008 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Derspeed (Post 3079927)
With only 1200 miles on it, I hadn't really done a complete interior detail to my C until yesterday. I wasn't sure if MB-tex was the right choice when I ordered the car, but it was. It is really tough.

I use Lexol products on my cars with leather interiors, so their vinyl care on the MB-tex was an easy choice. Most of it just rests on top of the MB-tex and you have to remove the excess it instead of working it in. It makes the MB-tex feel softer and way less grippy (I hate the MB-tex grip).

Anyway, I like how you can just wipe the entire interior down with a damp towel. You have to brush the fabric on the bottom of the doors to remove debris.

My experience last night put to rest any lingering thoughts that the C interior is cheap. On the contrary, it seems bomb-proof.

Im going to try out this Lexol .... so our seats (mb tex) is vinyl?
Dont get me wrong, i love leather but i guess i just have to work with what i got. I cant believe i didnt notice this when i bought the car. Guess its just ment to be, atleast i dont have to worry about those creases.

hmc 09-30-2008 02:05 PM

Keep in mind Lexol is glossy.

PHYBENZ 09-30-2008 02:07 PM

I like the the leather for one reason.

The door pulls and door panels are leather also and they look a lot better than the standard trim. The standard trim looks too plasticky.

UR2SLO 09-30-2008 02:07 PM

Leather I made the mistake of not ordering mine so I got MB Texture. IMO its so rough and garbage doesn't feel nothing close to leather. By the time the leather craps out the car will be pretty old so what does it matter. People buy a car for looks options etc why cheap out.

wblynch 09-30-2008 05:39 PM

My only regret with my C350 is not getting Leather!

I wish I could have it installed. Maybe someone offers a kit?

sleewell 09-30-2008 05:55 PM

is it bad to clean MB tex with a leather cleaner?

phranksmbz 09-30-2008 06:32 PM

yeah ... i can really say that i want leather but what can i do?
Im just going to accept it and make sure i have it on my next ride.

But back to cleaning products?

Azn_C300 09-30-2008 06:58 PM

Zaino Z-9 followed up with Zaino Z-10 for leather and mb-tex alike.

RLE 09-30-2008 08:22 PM

Leather

Originally Posted by phranksmbz (Post 3079477)
who here has the leather option and which one do you prefer ?

I thought i had leather this whole time untill my friend just bought a 335xi with dakota leather and made my interior just feel ruff. Mercedes say that its more durable than leather?

what do you think?

My C300 is my third MB with leather and I ordered it that way.

Yes, leather requires more care than Tex (had that, too) but so what? I have compared my beige leather interior side-by-side with another C300 with beige Tex and there certainly is a difference in the seats and of course the door panels. I will say that if children or dogs are involved, then a strong case for Tex can be made.

And if it's really just the $1550 cost, then say so.

I have lightly cleaned the driver's seat twice in the eleven months I've had the car and five minutes work restores it to new appearance. I use Leatherique which is favored by many experienced MB owners.

Lexol, once the only product available, is old hat now.

aowhaus 09-30-2008 08:38 PM

MB-Tex is a plus if you have dogs or kids. Very durable, easy to clean and requires little maintanence. Take a look at any 10 year old Mercedes with MB-Tex and it still looks good -- you can't say about that with leather.
Mercedes makes the best leatherette in the market.

Untertürkheim 10-01-2008 06:58 AM

Do not get plastic, unless you like that cheap rental car feel.

There is no substitute for the real thing.

Carsy 10-01-2008 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim (Post 3081671)
Do not get plastic, unless you like that cheap rental car feel.

There is no substitute for the real thing.

I keep my cars for 15 years , carry pets, tow cow manure & drive in soiled clothes so M-TX suits me. The "cheap rental car feel" is overdoing it . In other words in my opinion elitist :bs:

jorantes 10-01-2008 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by PHYBENZ (Post 3080293)
The door pulls and door panels are leather also and they look a lot better than the standard trim. The standard trim looks too plasticky.

+++++1 :y

Spec_Davis 10-01-2008 11:12 PM

MB Tex all the way easy to clean and feels awesome.

ayilar 10-02-2008 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by aowhaus (Post 3080981)
MB-Tex is a plus if you have dogs or kids. Very durable, easy to clean and requires little maintanence. Take a look at any 10 year old Mercedes with MB-Tex and it still looks good -- you can't say about that with leather.

+1.