Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Leather seats or no?

 
Old 09-30-2008, 01:58 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
phranksmbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 924
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c300 4matic
Arrow Leather seats or no?

who here has the leather option and which one do you prefer ?

I thought i had leather this whole time untill my friend just bought a 335xi with dakota leather and made my interior just feel ruff. Mercedes say that its more durable than leather?

what do you think?
phranksmbz is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:07 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 373
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
I have leather and like it. No choice here. Only leather available. Maybe the Avantgarde S only comes with leather seats. I think they have a bit more side bolster on 'em than regular C 300. Not sure, tho'.
whkento is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 AM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: California
Posts: 1,093
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 sport
I have MB-tex, it holds up great. All you need to do is take a wet cloth, and the material cleans up very easily. In order to keep leather feeling soft, you have to maintain it by using conditioners, etc. If not, over time itll turn rough and tough. To me, the only benefit of leather is when the car is brand new, it smells great and feels soft. MB-Tex looks good, feels soft enough and most importantly holds up very well over time.
akbro93704 is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:23 AM
  #4  
Almost a Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by akbro93704 View Post
I have MB-tex, it holds up great. All you need to do is take a wet cloth, and the material cleans up very easily. In order to keep leather feeling soft, you have to maintain it by using conditioners, etc. If not, over time itll turn rough and tough. To me, the only benefit of leather is when the car is brand new, it smells great and feels soft. MB-Tex looks good, feels soft enough and most importantly holds up very well over time.
I'll second that
akuma84 is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:32 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Yep, MB-Tex is very durable and still looks and feels nice.

Plus, since it saves money and holds up so much better, why not save an animal?
mac911 is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 AM
  #6  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
phranksmbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 924
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c300 4matic
So what do you clean MB TEX with?
phranksmbz is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 03:23 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Azn_C300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chino Hills, CA
Posts: 3,808
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
MB-Tex will generally hold up better over time compared to leather.
Azn_C300 is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 AM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Derspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,423
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
With only 1200 miles on it, I hadn't really done a complete interior detail to my C until yesterday. I wasn't sure if MB-tex was the right choice when I ordered the car, but it was. It is really tough.

I use Lexol products on my cars with leather interiors, so their vinyl care on the MB-tex was an easy choice. Most of it just rests on top of the MB-tex and you have to remove the excess it instead of working it in. It makes the MB-tex feel softer and way less grippy (I hate the MB-tex grip).

Anyway, I like how you can just wipe the entire interior down with a damp towel. You have to brush the fabric on the bottom of the doors to remove debris.

My experience last night put to rest any lingering thoughts that the C interior is cheap. On the contrary, it seems bomb-proof.
Derspeed is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 10:33 AM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Ron Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,824
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Leather in mine. I'm not worried about wear I won't have it long enough. as mentioned Lexol is great for leather I never tried their vinyl product.
Ron Jr is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 12:38 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
tanktube67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SFV CA
Posts: 4,434
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
I have leather and I would not go any other way, durability it will depends how you'll take care of it.
tanktube67 is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:59 PM
  #11  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
phranksmbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 924
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c300 4matic
Originally Posted by Derspeed View Post
With only 1200 miles on it, I hadn't really done a complete interior detail to my C until yesterday. I wasn't sure if MB-tex was the right choice when I ordered the car, but it was. It is really tough.

I use Lexol products on my cars with leather interiors, so their vinyl care on the MB-tex was an easy choice. Most of it just rests on top of the MB-tex and you have to remove the excess it instead of working it in. It makes the MB-tex feel softer and way less grippy (I hate the MB-tex grip).

Anyway, I like how you can just wipe the entire interior down with a damp towel. You have to brush the fabric on the bottom of the doors to remove debris.

My experience last night put to rest any lingering thoughts that the C interior is cheap. On the contrary, it seems bomb-proof.
Im going to try out this Lexol .... so our seats (mb tex) is vinyl?
Dont get me wrong, i love leather but i guess i just have to work with what i got. I cant believe i didnt notice this when i bought the car. Guess its just ment to be, atleast i dont have to worry about those creases.
phranksmbz is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:05 PM
  #12  
hmc
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 6MT
Keep in mind Lexol is glossy.
hmc is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:07 PM
  #13  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 568
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1963 220Sb
I like the the leather for one reason.

The door pulls and door panels are leather also and they look a lot better than the standard trim. The standard trim looks too plasticky.
PHYBENZ is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:07 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 374
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
Leather I made the mistake of not ordering mine so I got MB Texture. IMO its so rough and garbage doesn't feel nothing close to leather. By the time the leather craps out the car will be pretty old so what does it matter. People buy a car for looks options etc why cheap out.
UR2SLO is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 05:39 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mission Viejo, California
Posts: 392
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
My only regret with my C350 is not getting Leather!

I wish I could have it installed. Maybe someone offers a kit?
wblynch is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 05:55 PM
  #16  
Super Member
 
sleewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Haslett, Mi
Posts: 736
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
is it bad to clean MB tex with a leather cleaner?
sleewell is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 06:32 PM
  #17  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
phranksmbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 924
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c300 4matic
yeah ... i can really say that i want leather but what can i do?
Im just going to accept it and make sure i have it on my next ride.

But back to cleaning products?
phranksmbz is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 06:58 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Azn_C300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chino Hills, CA
Posts: 3,808
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Zaino Z-9 followed up with Zaino Z-10 for leather and mb-tex alike.
Azn_C300 is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 08:22 PM
  #19  
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Leather

Originally Posted by phranksmbz View Post
who here has the leather option and which one do you prefer ?

I thought i had leather this whole time untill my friend just bought a 335xi with dakota leather and made my interior just feel ruff. Mercedes say that its more durable than leather?

what do you think?
My C300 is my third MB with leather and I ordered it that way.

Yes, leather requires more care than Tex (had that, too) but so what? I have compared my beige leather interior side-by-side with another C300 with beige Tex and there certainly is a difference in the seats and of course the door panels. I will say that if children or dogs are involved, then a strong case for Tex can be made.

And if it's really just the $1550 cost, then say so.

I have lightly cleaned the driver's seat twice in the eleven months I've had the car and five minutes work restores it to new appearance. I use Leatherique which is favored by many experienced MB owners.

Lexol, once the only product available, is old hat now.
RLE is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 PM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aowhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,044
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
MB-Tex is a plus if you have dogs or kids. Very durable, easy to clean and requires little maintanence. Take a look at any 10 year old Mercedes with MB-Tex and it still looks good -- you can't say about that with leather.
Mercedes makes the best leatherette in the market.
aowhaus is offline  
Old 10-01-2008, 06:58 AM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,408
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do not get plastic, unless you like that cheap rental car feel.

There is no substitute for the real thing.
Untertürkheim is offline  
Old 10-01-2008, 10:00 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Carsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 1 hours drive north of Sydney Australia
Posts: 3,714
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim View Post
Do not get plastic, unless you like that cheap rental car feel.

There is no substitute for the real thing.
I keep my cars for 15 years , carry pets, tow cow manure & drive in soiled clothes so M-TX suits me. The "cheap rental car feel" is overdoing it . In other words in my opinion elitist
Carsy is offline  
Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 PM
  #23  
Member
 
jorantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by PHYBENZ View Post
The door pulls and door panels are leather also and they look a lot better than the standard trim. The standard trim looks too plasticky.
+++++1
jorantes is offline  
Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 PM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Spec_Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,439
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
MB Tex all the way easy to clean and feels awesome.
Spec_Davis is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 AM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 245
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350, 2005 C230k Coupe
Originally Posted by aowhaus View Post
MB-Tex is a plus if you have dogs or kids. Very durable, easy to clean and requires little maintanence. Take a look at any 10 year old Mercedes with MB-Tex and it still looks good -- you can't say about that with leather.
+1.
ayilar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leather seats or no?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: