C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Engine won't start (sometimes)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w213 E200 Amg-Line
What did u guys do. To fix it
im to having the same proplem
on a 2014 e200 and cant finde a solution..
me or the dealer..
and its a daily issue.

it so f....ing annoying
no faulty codes or registered
Old 09-13-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w213 E200 Amg-Line
me or the dealer..
and its a daily issue.

it so f....ing annoying
Old 08-13-2020, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B class
Help please

Originally Posted by shadow-merc
me or the dealer..
and its a daily issue.

it so f....ing annoying
Hi, I hope the solution has been found! I’m having the same problem. Driving w245, love it and hate it when it gives me this issue. It happens daily - insert the key/all lights on/turn the key - it cranks - no start. Second time it starts perfectly. When it cranks (first time) , however, and I press the gas pedal - it starts. No codes are displayed, Star diagnostic shows nothing. But I noticed that my front fan runs constantly (no AC), as soon as I start the car.
Have anyone solved the crank issue - that’s what is making really angry? Thanks!!
Old 08-13-2020, 03:22 AM

B class
Same problem here

Hi, I hope the solution has been found! I’m having the same problem. Driving w245, love it and hate it when it gives me this issue. It happens daily - insert the key/all lights on/turn the key - it cranks - no start. Second time it starts perfectly. When it cranks (first time), however, and I press the gas pedal - it starts. No codes are displayed, Star diagnostic shows nothing. But I noticed that my front fan runs constantly (no AC), as soon as I start the car.
Have anyone solved the crank issue - that’s what is making really angry? Thanks!!
Old 08-14-2020, 12:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Hi, just for info, I experienced this problem, the problem where everything is ok, it cranks but does not start, if you restart, it cranks and starts.
-In my case this happens rarely, never in my garage, usually after I driven more than 20 km's and parked, sometimes only 10 minutes.
-I noticed this since the agent replaced the crankshaft positioning sensor due to a recall/bullitin 2009 around, thats what I was told.
-Since then they found no fault with current replacement CPS.
--Since than I had the EIS & Lock replaced,car dead after parked no start, no recognise of key.
-I thought replacing the EIS+Lock would solve this problem too.
-Also the battery replaced in the mean time, not solved this problem.
--It still happens rarely, so I usually completely forget about it, then suddenly....
---Some other problem along these lines I experienced twice so far, once out of a parking lot, start, crank steering full left, engine dies.
------About holding the key longer:
-all my previous vehicles=Started within 3-5 turnes, unless fault somewhere.
-Mazda pickup 300 000Km=Start 3-5 turns mostly quick-Predictable.
-Izuzu diesel=Starts 4-7 turns...Predictable
-W204 V6=The 1st car in my life I owned with unpredictable turns around starting.....??
---------For 6 years under guarantee the dealer could never solve this hickup.
Note:The car gives me less problems so far out og guarantee.

Last edited by Moto_Guzzi; 08-14-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:49 PM

B class
Originally Posted by Moto_Guzzi
Hi, just for info, I experienced this problem, the problem where everything is ok, it cranks but does not start, if you restart, it cranks and starts.
-In my case this happens rarely, never in my garage, usually after I driven more than 20 km's and parked, sometimes only 10 minutes.
-I noticed this since the agent replaced the crankshaft positioning sensor due to a recall/bullitin 2009 around, thats what I was told.
-Since then they found no fault with current replacement CPS.
--Since than I had the EIS & Lock replaced,car dead after parked no start, no recognise of key.
-I thought replacing the EIS+Lock would solve this problem too.
-Also the battery replaced in the mean time, not solved this problem.
--It still happens rarely, so I usually completely forget about it, then suddenly....
---Some other problem along these lines I experienced twice so far, once out of a parking lot, start, crank steering full left, engine dies.
------About holding the key longer:
-all my previous vehicles=Started within 3-5 turnes, unless fault somewhere.
-Mazda pickup 300 000Km=Start 3-5 turns mostly quick-Predictable.
-Izuzu diesel=Starts 4-7 turns...Predictable
-W204 V6=The 1st car in my life I owned with unpredictable turns around starting.....??
---------For 6 years under guarantee the dealer could never solve this hickup.
Note:The car gives me less problems so far out og guarantee.
Thanks a lot for the reply. I have this problem for a few months now, tried and replaced an X number of things - still the same. I did discover smth new tho - when it cranks I press the gas pedal and it starts! (If no gas pedal it will just shut down and second start works). I have replaced the throttle, but ppl suggest it’s the throttle problem again due to the crank - gas -> starts!! Not sure tho. Will have it checked again. Aside from that stupid issue, my car is in a top condition and I really love it - will keep looking for the problem. I don’t know if an ECU replace would help - but it still seems not to be a source of the problem - I did however find on some other forums ECU replacement recommended. What amazes me (and pisses me off) is a plain diagnostic test - not a single error code. I got actually really shocked with finding out how many Mercedes models have this problem. I hope to solve this issue and will surely post if I manage it. Looking forward to have that post soon.

Kind regards!