C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 back from service/warranty claims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:07 AM

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts
325Ci, 325Cic, C300
C300 back from service/warranty claims

I took my C300 for service/warranty claims last weekend. I'm hoping to hear your opinions, and to share for what it's worth.

I took it in for 5 items :

Steering wheel ratcheting noise when turning lock-to-lock, while slightly moving in reverse. This has been discussed here a few times. I never thought it was serious, but I thought I'd have it looked at anyway. Service techs claim "the noise is normal". Three other cars in the service bay produced the same noise, under the same circumstances. Either it really IS normal, or all the cars tested (including mine) were broken. I didn't push because this issue is mostly just an annoyance, really. It doesn't sound like something will break soon or has there been any change in handling, but even my past Acura (and Honda for that matter) had a silent steering column operation throughout it's service life.

Rear differential noise at load change, Service Bulletin PB-35-31-05. Car was returned with "cannot verify at this time" comment. I could easily duplicate the clunking noise, but apparently they could not. I'm planning to get back there to ride with the tech.

Moisture/water in turn signal lamp in side mirror. They also claimed this was normal, but somehow I don't buy it.

Rear hat shelf noise. Unresolved because the tech could not replicate noise.

Engine / Tranny update. They found one for the engine, but not the tranny. It may just be in my head, but the car has a (slightly) more responsive pedal now. I never really had a problem with the way it was before, but I am detecting a subtle change. You can feel more of a response from the engine with less pedal movement.

This is at the Walnut Creek dealership in Northern California. My relationship with them has been pretty good, which is why I decided to get my facts together first before I decided to stomp my feet, and lightly at that. This is a small town of sorts and more stuff gets done with conversations, not orders.

All in all pleased with the brand so far. Minor issues in 20k miles of happy motoring. Just trying to get a better feel for, generally speaking, this dealership's technical know-how. Nothing worse than pretend mechanics to be working on today's complicated cars.

Regards,
Paolo
Old 12-22-2008, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
i also had the ANNOYING rear hat shelf snap crackle pop noise...

the dealer finally was able to replicate it, and fixed it with adding felt tape and reinstalling it
Old 12-22-2008, 03:22 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
you have one ****ty dealership that's all i have to say.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
For your steering problem, tell them to check/replace the torque arm bearings. Mine were both found to be shifting laterally which is what is causing the popping/crunching feel in reverse and parked. I know this is a widespread problem (3 of the 5 Cs I have driven have this issue) so I expect a TSB soon.
The lights are designed to vent off moisture efficeintly so any visible moisture is a sign of a vent tube blockage or a crack in the light housing.
If you car is a late production 08, it would have the updated tranny software...sorry but no idea on the build date switchover.
As far as the rest, you are correct in planning on doing the ride along with the tech...sometimes it seems like the techs themselves get numbed by all the stuff they see coming in and just are not as sensitive to issues as the guy making the payment....
Good luck!!
Old 12-22-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts
325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Originally Posted by C300Sport
For your steering problem, tell them to check/replace the torque arm bearings. Mine were both found to be shifting laterally which is what is causing the popping/crunching feel in reverse and parked. I know this is a widespread problem (3 of the 5 Cs I have driven have this issue) so I expect a TSB soon.
The lights are designed to vent off moisture efficeintly so any visible moisture is a sign of a vent tube blockage or a crack in the light housing.
If you car is a late production 08, it would have the updated tranny software...sorry but no idea on the build date switchover.
As far as the rest, you are correct in planning on doing the ride along with the tech...sometimes it seems like the techs themselves get numbed by all the stuff they see coming in and just are not as sensitive to issues as the guy making the payment....
Good luck!!
Very informed response - thanks. I'll definitely be seeing them soon about the steering and turn signal issue.

Always better to walk into a dealership with a concrete description rather than just "a sound".

Regards,
Paolo