C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Has anyone "Rolled" their Fenders??

Old 12-24-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes SLS and 2014 Mercedes S63
Has anyone "Rolled" their Fenders??

I'm waiting on my new 20" wheels and H&R supersport springs to come in the next week. I told my rim shop that I read about people having to roll the fenders in order to have a better fit. He's done this many times but asked me to post a thread to people that have had it done on the C350, he wants to know if you had a body shop do it or not. The reason is because the paint will crack on some cars when rolled and on some cars you won't have that problem. So.....My long winded question is: Did the paint crack when you rolled the fenders? Should I have the rim shop do it or a body shop?

thanx
Old 12-24-2008, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Avoid it.

Here is the tool you need (see link), but I wouldn't do it. And yes, it is likely that the paint will crack. I have seen done many times with good and bad results. With the tool and with baseball bats. To me, the paint on the W204 seems too fragile to risk it. After fitting 10mm spacers, I can say you will not need to go completely around the fender. Just a little at the top.

I think rolling fenders makes cars look unsorted; like there was a mistake during the planning phase. I like a wide profile, but sometimes it just looks hacked. I would look at some cars that have had it done before you make your final decision.

One last thing. What kind of a wheel shop is selling you wheels that don't fit properly?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...ender%2Croller

Last edited by Derspeed; 12-24-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:17 AM

2012 Mercedes SLS and 2014 Mercedes S63
We spoke to the wheel maker and they assured us that the offset was designed specifically for this car. The wheel shop is "Coast to Coast customs" they've done thousands of wheels. The unknown factor is the lowering springs, especially the H&R SUPERSPORTS which are even lower than typical. I guess we will play it by ear. If it is absolutely necessary to roll them we will make sure to plan it correctly to minimize the paint and body damage.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
It really doesn't matter how low you go if everything fits properly rolled fenders or not. However, if the car sits high enough to drive on smooth roads without tire rubbing you still have another issue. They will still rub, if your springs compress enough, via big bumps or hard cornering.

Be careful and good luck.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:37 PM

w211 e500
I rolled mine. Took some time and patience, but well worth it to get my look.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:02 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Rolling

Originally Posted by popejp41
I'm waiting on my new 20" wheels and H&R supersport springs to come in the next week. I told my rim shop that I read about people having to roll the fenders in order to have a better fit. He's done this many times but asked me to post a thread to people that have had it done on the C350, he wants to know if you had a body shop do it or not. The reason is because the paint will crack on some cars when rolled and on some cars you won't have that problem. So.....My long winded question is: Did the paint crack when you rolled the fenders? Should I have the rim shop do it or a body shop?

thanx
I rolled the front fenders on my '01 C320 to provide clearance for 17" wheels which turned out to be unnecessary.

Actually, it was done by a friend who owns a body shop (Porsche & Mercedes only as a rule) using a plastic hammer. I heated the wheel arch with a heat gun (sparingly) to soften the paint a bit in the areas he was tapping with the hammer. When we were finished the paint was uncracked. Took about five minutes per side.

There is a Mercedes TSB which shows how to do this but it really isn't needed. You just flatten the fender lip from about the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock positions.