C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

CEL at 4500 miles feels like misfire.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 4matic
CEL at 4500 miles feels like misfire.

Last night I started up the car to take it to be washed.

I cranked the engine, it litterally sputtered to life and a CEL was being thrown. The idle was at a steady 700 rpm but there was mild vibration in the cabin.

I then engaged D and slowly rolled off. The vibrations increased and there was very little power. I immediately thought that maybe it's misfiring or that some cylinders were not getting fuel.

I drove it for 2 miles and let the engine fully warm up. I then pulled over, shut down the engine, pulled out the key, pumped the brake 10 times (IDK why I did it but it's something I remember from my Jap Import days to clear the ECU) and then started it back up again.

Upon the restart, there was no CEL, no vibration, the engine idle was normal and power was restored. My question is; have any of you had a similar occurance? My car had been sitting for 2 weeks, but it's never had anything like this before. What the heck was up with my Merc last night?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
I had something similar the other day, but didn't try the pumping of the brake (which I doubt did anything).

Thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...s-failure.html

The ECS was replaced, no charge.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:05 AM

2009 C300 4matic
Update:

Ever since the CEL disappeared that night after the Restart it has not come back on and the car has returned to normal and I will not be going to the dealership. I think it was just some moisture on the ECS sensor that was causing bad timing.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
I'm sure that the brake-pumping had no effect, but a restart will often clear computer malfunctions, which is what I suspect in your case. Whether you've seen the end of it is the question, of course...

On our W203 C240, an intermittent electrical connection problem would periodically come up in the form of a ABS/ESC message. Again, stopping by the side of the road and restarting would clear it. Eventually, they issued a TSB for some corroded connectors, and applying this fix made it go away completely.

At 13k miles an 18 months, I've seen nothing like this on our W204.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:38 AM

2007 Avalanche LT, 2009 C300
Originally Posted by 416to212

I cranked the engine, it litterally sputtered to life and a CEL was being thrown. The idle was at a steady 700 rpm but there was mild vibration in the cabin.

I then engaged D and slowly rolled off. The vibrations increased and there was very little power. I immediately thought that maybe it's misfiring or that some cylinders were not getting fuel.

I drove it for 2 miles and let the engine fully warm up. I then pulled over, shut down the engine, pulled out the key, pumped the brake 10 times (IDK why I did it but it's something I remember from my Jap Import days to clear the ECU) and then started it back up again.

Upon the restart, there was no CEL, no vibration, the engine idle was normal and power was restored. My question is; have any of you had a similar occurance? My car had been sitting for 2 weeks, but it's never had anything like this before. What the heck was up with my Merc last night?
My cel just came up at like 1050miles at first car wouldn't start and after finally starting after like 3 tries cel comes up anyway drove home read your thread after half an hour tried car started still showing cel shut off pumped brakes 10 times restart and no cel thanks for the tip.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:56 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Codes

Originally Posted by 416to212

I cranked the engine, it literally sputtered to life and a CEL was being thrown. The idle was at a steady 700 rpm but there was mild vibration in the cabin.

I then engaged D and slowly rolled off. The vibrations increased and there was very little power.
The code has been stored and your dealer will know what caused the problem and it will happen again. You should at least call them.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 AM

1992 Jeep Wrangler
Originally Posted by jamaicakevkev
My cel just came up at like 1050miles at first car wouldn't start and after finally starting after like 3 tries cel comes up anyway drove home read your thread after half an hour tried car started still showing cel shut off pumped brakes 10 times restart and no cel thanks for the tip.
Pumping your brakes had absolutely nothing to do with any of it.