C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C-Class gone for Lexus ISF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Originally Posted by WWMIndy
To reiterate, just like BMW vs Mercedes - is BMW's rear-view mirror designed to break off during a collision to avoid any extraneous impact to the occupants head? No

Does BMW run digital wheels slip sensors that detect any variance in wheel speed @ 100x's / second? No, they run analog sensors that only detect wheel slip 20-30x's / second depending on the model.

Does that make a big difference? I don't know, I haven't been in the situation yet, but I'd be willing to bet that at 70mph, that extra accuracy and sensitivity will help me be able to marginally better-avoid an obstacle, while maintaining control

It's those little things that make a big difference in a crash above government standards.

I never said that Lexus was a horrible car, I said it wasn't as safe.
I would have to agree with you on this. Yes Lexus is a very safe car, and Im sure they may have beet MB on a few test's. However, I agree with you because MB's have put major focus on preventing an accident in the first place.

So what if a Lexus is slightly safer, I would rather be in the car that has a better chance to avoid the accident in the first place. You gota give it to MB there!

Oh and I do like the Lexus, very soft and smooth cars! Congrats on the new ride bro!

Last edited by 451/443=EW; 04-27-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
I would rather be in the car that has a better chance to avoid the accident in the first place.
oh right, thats why the lexus LS was aclaimed by many as the more technological advanced vehicle, equipped with a facial recognition to see if a person is paying attention on the road. that seems pretty safe to me. plus, at least their pre collision system is available on EVERY model, not just the higher end ones
Old 04-27-2009, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
Originally Posted by joshg1001
oh right, thats why the lexus LS was aclaimed by many as the more technological advanced vehicle, equipped with a facial recognition to see if a person is paying attention on the road. that seems pretty safe to me. plus, at least their pre collision system is available on EVERY model, not just the higher end ones

Dude, this isnt a personal attack on you, dont really know why you seem to take this so personal. Thats great they have the Facial recognition system. Why dont you make a list of the safety items for both cars and see if you can convince everyone your right! Im big enought to agree with you IF you can show me what I dont know.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Lexus makes a fine cars so does MB and BMW to each it's own.
Just enjoy the ride.
My two cents.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
im not taking it personally. im a fan of both brands but it just bothers me when others say that MB is "safer" than a lexus when that just isnt true

------------
sorry just had to add this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp2N0gce0-k

Last edited by joshg1001; 04-27-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Alright guys, I'm going to be the first to say that we need to cut this **** out...

We sound like a bunch of 4 yr olds...let's just congratulate the man on his recent purchase, which is what this thread was about in the first place.

Let's leave this discussion where it stands, which is where we all decide to acknowledge that we all have our own views, and some of us will differ with other's opinions, but this shouldn't have turned into personal attacks on anyone.

We are all in this forum because we love our cars, so I say we get back to that!

Chris
Old 04-27-2009, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
Good, its settled, we are all still friends! lol
Lets promise we will never let a car get between us again!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
lol. seriously though, the ISF is a great car. though i always wondered why lexus spent so much r&d into a car that is past mid cycle
Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Oh my gosh, the arguing! Ok, first of all, congrats on the new car. Wishing you may many happy years of driving enjoyment.

Here's the thing -- people seem to always put up a thick skin in terms of their vehicles, particularly when the vehicles tend to be in the $50k pricerange... and yes, its true that MB has this incredibly long standing history of safety innovation, etc, and many of those technologies were open patents so that other vehicle manufacturers could use them to provide the amazing safety that we've come to know and love from the MB brand name.

Is the Lexus rated as safe as the MB, or safer? Thats for the crash tests to decide etc. But do keep in mind that these crash tests and safety reviews only take into account specific conditions. To what extent each manufacturer goes above and beyond to try to reduce fatalities in above and beyond/extreme conditions, speeds, etc... here's hoping none of us ever has to find out for sure. Just drive on happy, people.

That being said, nice car, congrats, and safe driving to all!

- Eric
Old 04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
No - quite the opposite. It's accurate. You're the audience, and clearly you are deaf. I was willing to concede on some points you/others made, but unfortunately the reality of the situation is that you aren't willing to admit that on any day of the week, a Mercedes is safer than a Lexus.

BTW, since you feel it necessary to be childish, nice teddy bear in your window...Must look real cute with all your manly mods - I guess we must find equilibrium somewhere.

And I don't know why you typed you're welcome - I never said thank you.
you are in way over your head bro. childish? so far you are the only one that's doing the name calling and making ridiculous comments after the facts of how both car performs in a frontal and side impact crash are already shown to you which already proved you wrong about Lexus being not as safe as MB.

nice comment on my teddy bear/dust cloth. very mature.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
To reiterate, just like BMW vs Mercedes - is BMW's rear-view mirror designed to break off during a collision to avoid any extraneous impact to the occupants head? No

Does BMW run digital wheels slip sensors that detect any variance in wheel speed @ 100x's / second? No, they run analog sensors that only detect wheel slip 20-30x's / second depending on the model.

Does that make a big difference? I don't know, I haven't been in the situation yet, but I'd be willing to bet that at 70mph, that extra accuracy and sensitivity will help me be able to marginally better-avoid an obstacle, while maintaining control

It's those little things that make a big difference in a crash above government standards.

I never said that Lexus was a horrible car, I said it wasn't as safe.
and MB doesn't have the feature that keeps the brake pads and rotors dry during wet conditions before BMW. MB doesn't have a heads-up display on the windshield that keeps the driver's eye on the road. MB still doesn't have a bi-xenon that turns according to the degree of the steering wheel to aid the driver to see better around the corner. MB's self stopping system on the S-class failed to stop the car from hitting the car in front in their own press demo. The Volvo on the other hand perfected it. The list goes on on what this manufacturer has and other doesn't. It applies to everyone.

Last edited by FrankW; 04-27-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
actually frank, while i am on your side, i think our rotors/pads do stay dry when the wipers are turned on. also i tink the S class and higher end models get the adapative headlights
Old 04-27-2009, 07:17 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
actually frank, while i am on your side, i think our rotors/pads do stay dry when the wipers are turned on. also i tink the S class and higher end models get the adapative headlights
I stand corrected. thanks

edit: the adaptive headlight's only on the S/CL right now I believe. The rest only gets the corner assist feature where the foglight comes on which doesn't do much good while BMW has it on all cars and now Lexus is following.

Last edited by FrankW; 04-27-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by FrankW
and MB doesn't have the feature that keeps the brake pads and rotors dry during wet conditions before BMW. MB still doesn't have a bi-xenon that turns according to the degree of the steering wheel to aid the driver to see better around the corner.
Where did you read this? A mickey mouse magazine?

That stuff was introduced in 2000 or 2001 if my memory serves me correctly on the cars with brake-by wire and is now replaced with the pre-safe system

I guess that the bi-xenon headlamps with active curve illumination that I had on my E weren't there, nor are they on the ML, GL, G, S, SL, SLK, CLK, E or CL as equipped w/P2...woops

All the above also have cornering foglamps, which is what our C's are equipped with with the P2 Pack, but they don't have active curve illuminating bi-xenons.

Nice English btw.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
And as to press demo's, if my memory serves me correctly, didn't Lexus do the same thing on more than one occasion with their asinine self-parking system?

Last edited by AMGTTV8; 04-27-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Congrats on the car. I was going to get it till one of my friends got it.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
lol actually the advanced parking guidance system that failed wasnt done by lexus. wasnt it done by a group of overly sarcastic people? i think i remember seeing that video. and this thread has reached new heights...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Where did you read this? A mickey mouse magazine?

That stuff was introduced in 2000 or 2001 if my memory serves me correctly on the cars with brake-by wire and is now replaced with the pre-safe system

I guess that the bi-xenon headlamps with active curve illumination that I had on my E weren't there, nor are they on the ML, GL, G, S, SL, SLK, CLK, E or CL as equipped w/P2...woops

All the above also have cornering foglamps, which is what our C's are equipped with with the P2 Pack, but they don't have active curve illuminating bi-xenons.

Nice English btw.
read the above post responded to joshg. I already stated I stand corrected. thanks for the correction again. did not know they made it's way into the other models already. the SLK and CLK however i know for sure they don't have the active bi-xenons.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:50 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
lol actually the advanced parking guidance system that failed wasnt done by lexus. wasnt it done by a group of overly sarcastic people? i think i remember seeing that video. and this thread has reached new heights...
TOP GEAR tried it on their show, but they didn't bother reading the instructions. lol makes it a funny segment tho.

been to the Lexus test drive events and personally tested out the parking guidance they were letting ppl demo. it's pretty good and certainly didn't hit anything on it's way backing into the space.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
i thought he was talking about this video:

http://www.automobilemag.com/multime...deo/index.html
Old 04-27-2009, 09:15 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
i thought he was talking about this video:

http://www.automobilemag.com/multime...deo/index.html
never seen that one, but it's pretty funny. people doesn't seem to get the limitation of this system which you have to put the car in a reasonable postion, so that the system can actually guide the car in while you are applying the brakes (it doesn't brake for you).
Old 04-27-2009, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
All in all, everyone has their own opinions and preferences. There is no "wrong" choice when buying your own car. (Unless it's a *******g smartcar haha)
Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
On a side note, I was completely stunned that Top Gear didn't succeed here in the States.

Quite a shame as it is so incredibly entertaining. I'm sorry, but MotorTrend tv does not compare, even when they are racing the cars around..
Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Out of curiosity, just checked MBUSA on Active Curve Illumination and stand somewhat corrected.

The only cars that don't have it are the R, SLK, and C...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C-Class gone for Lexus ISF