C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

What is the handle color of your black W204?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
All 040 blacks have obsidian door handles. It has been that way for awhile across the whole MB line. Th eCEO of the company I work for has an S550 in black and his door handles are obsidian.
Another proof that this is intentional. I have not seen other explanations than the obsidian metal paint being more durable. Is that a likely reason, I thought these days "basic colours" get an equal coating making them just about equally durable?
Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I agree to the point that they find alternative options to keep production rolling but if they did not have the correct handle colour, I would assume the solution would be to paint those available with the correct colour.

I've seen datacards explaining that the correct engine was not available and another one was used. But this means that it is an almost correct engine where the differing parts will be changed to make it exactly right for the car.

In this particular case we can see from EPC that it is intentional. Also the comment that cars have been coming like this from two factories supports this being intentional.

Tyres are anyway recorded to the datacard, you don't typically order certain tyre brand which gives the factory full freedom to adapt tyres according to their stock (as long as the type is correct for the intended market).

Is your experience from an MB factory? Can you give some datacard examples showing what kind of adaptation has been done?
The following is all opinion, personal observation, and/or speculation!

I agree that the evidence suggests this is intentional. So then, we might ask, "why?". Again, without having been there, this is speculation at best, but here are some things which may have been at play just for your interest and entertainment.

Usually, these issues are governed by some aspect of cost. It is unlikely that the variable cost of the painted handle is the issue. (Handle almost definitely painted by supplier...I have never seen a door handle painted at an assembly plant). Possibly, with the variety of color choices available, the plant may have identified a cost savings associated with fewer handles (by color) in the plant. For example, reducing the species color variety may have allowed them to go from "in-sequence" (where supplier is paid to ship the handles in color sequence to match up with the color build plan, car-by-car, as they come down the line) to a less costly line display, where the line operator selects the proper colored part from bins, but which has line spacing limitations for that one station. While considering this, they may have proposed to design studio that of all the colors which could be eliminated to get one out of the plant, having two blacks may be the optimum opportunity for a reduction. They might have done the same if they had a metallic white and a closely matching straight shade white, for another example. If they could persuade themselves that this was the least "painful" take-away (fewest people would notice or care), and the cost reduction was meaningful, this could be a "reasonable" way to manage costs without customer dissatisfaction. The fact that this has been noticed across vehicle lines, coming from different plants, suggests that this proposal, having been accepted within the company, may have become a cross-carline common practice, with likely savings at all affected plants. AGAIN, I DO NOT KNOW THAT ANY OF THIS HAPPENED IN THIS SITUATION, but offer this up only for the interest of forum readers as to what kind of discussion sometimes goes on "behind the scenes" in car companies.

I had no contact with MB plants, but while at another major company which employed me (prefer not to mention, but not a likely guess! ), and having the chance to talk with others from other companies, it seems a reasonable to conclude that many "best practices" and processes are shared.

I have actually seen substitutions applied to wheels, tires, seat trim, radios, among others. I know of one case where a metallic black vehicle model was approved with some non-metallic black exterior trim to reduce the costs associated with plant complexity for a low-volume application. Last minute "swat" teams get together when the underlying problem is known which causes the shortage. Monroney labels are modified, pricing is reviewed, all affected vehicles are documented by VIN. I best recall that wheels and tires are the most frequent issues, as the cost of tooling wheel molds tends to cause running lean on capacity, and when one breaks, a shortage can occur rapidly. Last-minute wheel sharing from even different platform vehicles can occur rather than shutting down a plant. I do agree with one earlier comment that whatever substitution is made on the line is "official", the engineers have signed-off, and that the final quality control does audit and sign off on the final assembled vehicles as they roll out the door......NOTHING is random and they do notice changes!! Car companies are amazingly meticulous and scrutinize very small details!! Even the most cynical of you would be highly impressed by the processes involved if you had the chance to really spend some time knowing how this all works!

Again, as we're without first hand facts, I reach no final conclusions about why/how/what happened in this case and share the above only for interesting reading...hope you found it such.