C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

any experience purchasing a MSO car??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
any experience purchasing a MSO car??

Just purchased an used 2008 C350. The sales manager said it was a MSO car. Not sure what the acronym stands for. Anyway, I inquired if the car was Certified and the sales manager and the salesman said no due to the additional $$. I did not think too much about it since the car is less than a year old..no big deal. I did an inspection of the car prior to delivery and just found a door ding and some curb rash on the front spoiler. Again no big deal. The sales manager cut me a smoking deal...let me have it for "trade in value" per KBB. When I detailed the car yesterday I noticed some odd colors on the hood. Well, it turns out that these were actually long scratches (5" or longer) that have been filled and buffed down. Basically, I am pissed!!! I would have picked up on these at the dealer if it was not for all the damn glaze or polish left on the car. Contacted the SM but he said he has no knowledge of the problem. Just said "Good Luck". My concern is that the problem will affect trade in value or perhaps will not be covered by MB paint warranty. I truly feel that the car was misrepresented based on the fact that the Saleman stated the car was "cosmetically" sound. That is my rant for the day. Any suggestions regarding this problem I have?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
MSO is not relevant to this....the acronym stands for Manufacturer's Statement of Origin and is an accompanying document when a new car is titled. Review all your paperwork carefully for any warranties from the dealer...if the documents refer to "as is", you are likely without further recourse. However, it would be unusual to buy a car from an MB dealer "as is"...so check the warranty language carefully as it would apply to a subsequently discovered cosmetic defect. Did your signature indicate acceptance of the cosmetic condition? Talk to the General Manager of the dealership in person with the car. If you've only had it a couple of days, it should be evident the attempted poor repair was done prior to sale. Decide what your goal is and negotiate....would you be satisfied with a repaint? That might be the place where you both can meet, as that likely costs him the least to make the problem go away. There's always Judge Judy!
Old 05-02-2009, 01:29 PM

C350
Do you have Judge Judy's cell #?

The dealer may have meant another acronym??? The car was used by company officials but was never titled. The sales manager said it was purchased through MB by one of their auctions. Judge Judy..yeah that is the ticket to the remedy. LOL. I will try to contact the GM of the dealership but I have the feeling that I am out of luck. Six working days has elapsed since I purchased the car. The car, however, was parked in my garage and not driven since purchase. Perhaps the BBB could help?
Old 05-02-2009, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
6 days is not much....be sure to point out that almost no miles have been added...the point is reinforce that this was how you got the car...did not happen afterward. The GM wants the problem to go away, so asking him to reshoot the area affected in his own bodyshop may be his simplest solution for a reasonable compromise and best resolution for all. Take photos of the problem and the odometer and have them printed with dates.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 AM

2013 GMC Acadia
MSO Explanation

Every auto has to be TRACABLE by authorities. Where it came from, how you got it, and who owns it.

The MSO: Manufactucturer Statement Of Origin is issued by the Car Company to the dealer who buys the car, so the dealer has PROOF of where he got the car and that he has a legal right to possess it.

Since the vehicle has never been titled and therefore cannot be traced by the state. The MSO makes it possible to trace where the vehicle came from and who the previous owner was, just like a title does.

The MSO is the Dealers proof that the vehicle is not a stolen vehicle.

It varifies where it came from, how the dealer got it, and that he legally has a right to possess and own it.

It's like a more detailed receipt you get when you make a retail purchase at a store, which provides proof of purchase, place of purchase, right to ownership and legally possess what you have.

The purchase receipt is your proof the item is not a stolen item.