C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Weak paint on C Class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 GLE 350
The paint sucks on the C300... my hood and front bumper probably have 10 nicks after less than 6 months. Quality was better on my C230.

Next time I'll get a white or silver exterior. My black looks beautiful but shows the paint imperfections to easily.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 AM

2009 C300 SPORT 1999 CLK320
All of our Mercedes have been Black 040 . I have used brushes , pens, matchsticks, etc. All, no matter how careful ,left to much paint. I was helping my daughter with her car and tried a new trick for me. I mask the chip or scratch on all sides leaving just a small are of the imperfection. Then use factory spray paint to lightly mist for a tack coat , then hit it one more time with anohter light coat. Lift the masking and after a few minutes a light clear coat. A light polish and looks better than any other method tried. After a couple spots , I seemed to have just the right amount to hide the scratch or chip with out leaving to much paint (glob).
Try it in an area that won't be noticed first to get the hang of it. I am much happier than the previous methods.
Didn't seem to help my wife's totaled C300 though
Old 10-08-2009, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I thought it was just me, but I have been saying this for a long time. I think the paint is fragile compared to my other cars. It sucks. I have clear bra on the front, hood, headlights, fogs , door cups , and the area of the bumper behind the rear wheels and right behind the front wheels. So, I am good to go, right? No. One day I found a tiny chip in the door and the hood right behind the clear bra. It happened in September 2008 when most of the Eastern US got nailed by residual hurricane wind. This summer I found another little chip on the side of the car . I think it's sad when debris picked up by the wind can cause a chip in the car's paint. I have touched up the spots and now I can't even find them, but it still frustrates me when it happens.

To properly use the brush-type touch-up paint, you have to get very small artist brushes and dip a toothpick (or some similar object) into the paint. The toothpick, being mades of wood, holds the paint best. Then, tap the brush onto the paint that is on the toothpick. Dab the chip and walk away. Let the paint settle for at least an hour. If it has sunk into the chip, put another drop on. Do this until the chip is level. It shouldn't take more than two drops. Let it dry overnight. Then, polish the spot with cleaner wax until it is undetectable. Don't use rubbing compound or scratch out unless you really know what you are doing.

I have used Benz Lifer's method on bigger chips. It works very well.

I have found that silver hides chips the best. It's just a PITA to match the metal flake pattern if you ever have to get a panel repainted.

Last edited by Derspeed; 10-08-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C204
When it comes to touch up paint I fill in the entire scratch plus more. After everything dries up I wet sand the spot to an even level and then polish.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
What do you guys recommend that I do.

THe first thing i did to my C class was put a clear bra on the hood at one of the most expensive and highly recommended custom clear bra shops here in Nor Cal. It costs me $500 just for the hood. THey said another $500 for the front bumper. I didnt want to shell out the money so now im starting to get rock chips on the bumper.

Should i wait to get it repainted/replaced after a year or two and then get the clear bra too, or should i go cheap now and get it clear bra-ed for $200s at a normal place and keep it from getting worse?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Paint

Originally Posted by Azn_C300
I believe the paint MB switched to now are more scratch resistant, but easier to chip. Guess it's a pick your poison type of deal.
That was in 2006.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:29 AM

'08 c300 sport
Yeah, my front bumper is chipped in a few spots too. But mostly from driving on the highway where there are big trucks kicking up giant rocks.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
I guess I am lucky, i would actually say that the paint on my car is impeccable. Mind you that most of my driving is 80% city driving.

But my car is about 17mo old and it looks like "new" cant complain about the paint in my case. Does color have anything to do with chip resistance??
Old 10-10-2009, 06:14 PM

c220 cdi sport
Originally Posted by 2nice4me
I guess I am lucky, i would actually say that the paint on my car is impeccable. Mind you that most of my driving is 80% city driving.

But my car is about 17mo old and it looks like "new" cant complain about the paint in my case. Does color have anything to do with chip resistance??
I was going to say the same! got one or two chips on the MB grille (front) and 1 small hairline scratch on the side. But nothing to complain about, given the amount of hedges, protuding from the road, that my local highway authority seems to ignore..

In fact, my car got hit from the rear and the paint was barely scratched from the other car's registration plate.

been behind gritter trucks too. nothing chipped.

I think car paint chips is one of those things that is annoying when it happens and i'm not sure if it anything to do with a particular manufacturers' paint. especially as Mercedes have that nano paint stuff. not sure if it helps, but does sound cool...!