C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Have you changed your shift knob?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300S 6mt
Have you changed your shift knob?

if so, how?

i have a manual transmission and thought it was the same procedure for an AT, but I seem to be stuck =I

i've followed the instructions below (thanks BL!), but am stuck on step 2. i've turned the black collar a quarter turn but now can't seem to managed to get remove and/or see the second collar underneath.

is this second collar inside the first collar, or is the second color above the first collar?

somebody please help!

Originally Posted by BENZ LIFER
Here are instructions and a couple videos we made for shift knob replacement on automatic:

1. The leather boot is stapled to a rectangular plastic frame that slides into the console’s rectangular trim. Remove the boot at the console by slightly pushing in on the leather on the driver’s side approximately 1 inch from the top and bottom. The leather boot will easily slip out of the console. (See You Tube video below.)

2. Turn the leather boot inside out. Loosen the first collar by turning counter-clockwise ¼ turn. (Looking at the shift knob from the top with your hand under the boot) Underneath is a second plastic collar which secures four flanges against a groove around the shift rod. These four flanges form the base of the shift knob.

3. This second collar has to be pushed up against the shift knob, away from the flanges in order to loosen the flanges from the groove around the rod. By now you should be able to pull the shift knob, second collar and the shift boot from the shift rod.

4. You still have the shift boot between the base of the shift knob with the four flanges and the second collar. By pushing the 4 flanges in, you disengage the collar from the base of the shift knob, and free the boot.

5. To install the Schaetz shift knob. Unscrew the chrome dome shaped fitting from the base of the shift knob. Place five parts onto the shaft in this order: First put the knurled ring on the shaft, then the nylon ring flat side down, then the leather boot, then the chrome domed fitting, then install the shift knob itself onto the shaft.

Make sure the shift knob is fully seated on the shaft and facing the right direction. Next screw on the chrome dome shaped fitting to the base of the shift knob, which holds the shift knob firmly in place. Next, push the leather boot against the underside of the chrome dome shaped fitting. Bring up the nylon ring against the leather boot. Make sure that the boot is straight and not twisted. Hold boot into position by screwing the knurled ring against the nylon ring. Lastly, re-insert the base of the leather boot into the console’s rectangular trim.

Please take a look at the videos linked below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKxcmY8knrs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTHyk...eature=related

Last edited by kaku; 06-27-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:30 PM

2009 C300S 6mt
Talking

gah, finally got it removed. the key? you gotta pull this sucker really hard.

for others that may have a hard time pulling on the collar, might wanna try using a string..

also, this video helped also :: http://www.mercedestechstore.com/w20...ps_consola.wmv
Attached Thumbnails Have you changed your shift knob?-shiftknobremovalstring-1-3b.jpg   Have you changed your shift knob?-shiftknobremovalstring-2-3b.jpg  
Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 PM

2009 C300S 6mt
finally .. .

the product of sweat and tears for a job that should've been <5 mins. =]

a simple joystick-type shift knob. no razzle, no dazzle. i like it cuz i'm the type of driver that keeps my hand on the shifter the entire time, and it keeps perfectly in my palm ( no doubt a habit i've developed since i was young, jiggling the javelin=b ).
Attached Thumbnails Have you changed your shift knob?-1.jpg   Have you changed your shift knob?-2.jpg   Have you changed your shift knob?-3.jpg   Have you changed your shift knob?-4.jpg   Have you changed your shift knob?-5.jpg  

Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Almost a Member!

C350 Sport
Should make this part of the sticky how to section. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Well done.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:34 PM

C300, 330i, MDX
I'll get around this one of these days. Thanks for the excellent DIY post...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 PM

C350 Sport 4M
Which do you guys think is the best feeling/looking shift knob? I'm looking at the brabus one. any ideas?