C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Ways to get out of Photo Enforced tickets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by envyxc350
Paying double or triple the amounts of everyone else because of "safety" is a joke.
An old topic that somehow never goes away...............

No, not a joke...a strategy. I think California officials are trying to figure out how high fines have to be to get the attention of violators. Apparently, with the irritation you are showing, they may be getting close in your case. When the fines are high enough that most folks realize yellow means stop if you can because red is coming, and is not a challenge to beat the imminent red, or roll through a right during a red, they will likely level off. Safety and financial managers will agree that when there is a "high demand" for red light traffic tickets, the proper answer is to raise the price!!

Bottom line, how much financial penalty has to be threatened for California drivers (and doesn't it seem the complaints are mostly Southern Calfornia?) to change their behavior? Here's one interesting solution that tries to make it "fair" for people with different incomes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10960230
Old 09-05-2010, 05:15 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by akit
I just got the same ticket in the mail yesterday -- for making a right turn on "red" without stopping. The fine is $466. That is the same fine as going straight through red, which is very dangerous.

According to the ticket, the light was red for .25 seconds when I turned.

From my perspective, which is low to the ground, I absolutely turned right on yellow. I am not a bird or giraffe or omniscient being. I cannot see the line of demarcation the same way that such a being (or overhead camera) can.

There were no signs posted.

It didn't even occur to me that I was turning right on “red.”

I have lived in LA for six years and have never been pulled over here. I have a clean record. I have never had any points on my record.

I don't typically look for cameras. They rarely enter my consciousness. I only notice them if there is a sign. There was no sign in this situation. There are some at random spots in the city, but not at every place where there is a camera.

Even if there had been a sign, I doubt I would have done anything different because to me, the light was yellow. But I will never know, because there was (and is) no sign.

If they are going to use such means to raise money for the city (the motivation is not safety; accidents are actually up at a majority of the 32 photo-enforced intersections in LA) they should raise it more equitably. They should not purposefully target and trap people. What they have implemented is a regressive tax. When you raise money in a way that disproportionately impacts low income people, you have implemented a regressive tax.

After reading several comments on this thread, I am surprised at how judgmental and shaming people are, saying things like 'be a man' and 'take responsibility.' Instead of judging and shaming, perhaps you might instead think more critically and have compassion. Things are not that simple.

A right turn on a light that has been deemed red for one fourth of a second is not 'irresponsible.' Especially when there is no one else on the road and no pedestrians in sight.

These cameras target neighborhoods that have high concentrations of certain demographics that are less likely to fight.

There should be a sliding scale for fees. Going STRAIGHT through a light that has been red for 2 seconds, which is VERY dangerous, should be a lot more expensive than turning right on a light that been red for .25 seconds.

I will fight my ticket. I have several bona fide arguments. I won't be one who just shuts up and pays a fine for fear of retribution. This country was not founded on that principle. It was not founded on entrapment and extortion.
You do realize that this thread is over a year old?
Old 09-05-2010, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
That def is not in the council members thoughts when raising traffic fine violations...it's all about profit and city debt. They are trying to maximize profits without causing civil unrest otherwise every violation will be 500-1000$ with their excuse being safety #1 (yea sure....).

When they raised the carpool from 271 to 356, I doubt the majority of people using the carpool lane illegally were thinking well 271 isn't that bad, but now since its 354 I better think about it and I guarantee officials weren't thinking well maybe an 80$ increase will lower the amount of violators because it's not about safety in the case. Raising parking violations from 30 to 50+ in the last 5-10 years isn't supposed to dissuade people from parking illegally its about profit. One more example is changing .25 cents at parking meters in LAC from 30 mins to 15mins (1 dollar per hour) 2 years ago. It's all about money.

If they just raised fees on safety violations (speeding, running reds, DWI, etc.) I might agree, but it's 2010 who really trusts their city council, mayor, etc.

Originally Posted by Sportstick

No, not a joke...a strategy. I think California officials are trying to figure out how high fines have to be to get the attention of violators. Apparently, with the irritation you are showing, they may be getting close in your case. When the fines are high enough that most folks realize yellow means stop if you can because red is coming, and is not a challenge to beat the imminent red, or roll through a right during a red, they will likely level off. Safety and financial managers will agree that when there is a "high demand" for red light traffic tickets, the proper answer is to raise the price!!

Bottom line, how much financial penalty has to be threatened for California drivers (and doesn't it seem the complaints are mostly Southern Calfornia?) to change their behavior? Here's one interesting solution that tries to make it "fair" for people with different incomes:

Last edited by BerBer63; 09-05-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350
Originally Posted by Sportstick

Only irritation to me is the high penalties, I guess speeders in other states can learn their lesson by paying 50$ but we have to learn by paying 400$. When I get a ticket I pay and move on(It's also nice to have an uncle in CHP in my town ), it's just ridiculous that the fees are only going up to compensate for bad gov spending.

By your statement "how much financial penalty has to be threatened for California drivers (and doesn't it seem the complaints are mostly Southern Calfornia?) to change their behavior?" I guess only california has violators that never learn there lesson? Fees in other states are pretty low and I'm sure they get just as many violators. If you were a resident of California you would know CHP in nor-cal is a joke compared to So-cal. On top of So-cal having most of the people traffic.

If it were based off income that would be a good start. But I can see a few flaws in that.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by RLE
You do realize that this thread is over a year old?
We can't blame newbs for reviving old threads with pertinent experience and slam them for not STFF at the same time...I don't see the issue. It's better than starting a new thread. At least it wasn't a "**** pigs" comment or a
Old 09-05-2010, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Everyone who said man up and pay needs to live in California and then say that. Paying double or triple the amounts of everyone else because of "safety" is a joke. Every year in the LA times there is an article about raising parking meter cost, ticket cost, violation cost, taxes, fees and everything else under the sun so they can make revenue for the city. 50$ for a ticket? pssh thats not even the price for tinted windows here.
We have a ton of red light cameras in Atlanta. While many of the people that run red lights should "man up" and pay the ticket, many of the camera's are not set properly and are truly just a revenue "enhancing" measure. My girlfriend got a ticket at one of the camera's set up downtown at a light coming off I-85. The ticket actually stated she entered the intersection .03 seconds after the light had turned red. I told her to send the notice back with a note that she would like to set up a trial date to contest the ticket...never heard anything back....and that was at least three years ago.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by chubbs032
We can't blame newbs for reviving old threads with pertinent experience and slam them for not STFF at the same time...I don't see the issue. It's better than starting a new thread. At least it wasn't a "**** pigs" comment or a
+1...I guess it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. It's nice to see some newbs do a search.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Only irritation to me is the high penalties, I guess speeders in other states can learn their lesson by paying 50$ but we have to learn by paying 400$.
And yet there are states where certain speeding violations carry lower fines than in California, yet they are filed as "criminal misdemeanors" (as in they stay on your criminal record for your entire life ) whereas in California, they are considered "infractions" and those drop off your record in 3 years...

Anyone who has an issue with fines being too expensive, should contact their state's legislature and voice their opinion. But to claim "I'm not guilty because the fine is too high"... That is not a viable defense!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
All of these tickets are getting out of hand. Just last year NYC raised roughly $800 million in just parking and red light tickets (non-moving violations).

Nassau county is getting terrible also, I was driving on Old Country Road from Hofstra, and in the last year, they put up red light cameras on many of the intersections of old country road. I probably got like 2 tickets already from one day, and to be honest, its not like I was practicing unsafe driving. It was rush hour, and everyone is moving like 40mph, and all of a sudden this guy slows down to 5-10mph to make a turn into a parking lot and everyone slows/stops and I get stuck in the intersection, knowing it was a red light camera intersection, I quickly tried to pass and get out of the intersection in time. Keep in mind that I entered the intersection when it was green, not yellow... If I get a ticket for that I will be furious and dismantle all the red light cameras on Long Island. I wouldn't even be mad if I wasn't 100% sure I got a prior red light ticket on that same road about 5 minutes earlier due to an emergency vehicle, again, me getting stuck in the intersection.

This is all just so crazy and retarded, it would be one thing if they gave you one or two strikes first or something. I wouldn't even be that pissed about these things if I was actually in the wrong. I have gotten a pretty big speeding ticket before for a 78 in a 55, and I didn't fight it and just paid the fine because I was being foolish and really was in the wrong, $500 later I learned my lesson. But this did not teach me any lesson besides not to drive on that road anymore... The world is all going down the drain...

There are too many variables to allow red light cameras to give fines. What if my car broke down or I got in an accident and my car was un-movable from the intersection. Would I get a red-light ticket every time the light turned red from a cop? I don't think so, but I bet you a red light camera would...

Last edited by jctevere; 09-07-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by jctevere
All of these tickets are getting out of hand. Just last year NYC raised roughly $800 million in just parking and red light tickets (non-moving violations).
How are red light tickets "non moving violations"?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:25 AM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Th's is the reason why I stop and do not make a turn until it is green. Some people honk but I don't care they won't pay my fine for me. Plus I don't trust those cameras even if I make a full stop. Of course in my plateless Benz I'm more relaxed.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by IGB
How are red light tickets "non moving violations"?
I referred to them as non-moving violations because they are treated as non moving violations -- at least in new york. They can't prove who is driving the vehicle, thus, you get no points on your license, only pay a fine, just like non-moving violations.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBS LM's 18's + Kics
this will be a tough one to fight, i got a ticket exactly like this once, nothing i could really do about it