C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C-300 In an Accident! Totaled?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
C-300 In an Accident! Totaled?

So last night my 2008 c-300, with only 7,000 miles, was rear ended on the freeway.

I was driving on the freeway last night and a lane had been closed for construcion. One of the cars infront of me got confused and came to almost a complete stop in the middle of the freeway. I see it and start slowing down with no problem then about two seconds later I get rear ended (hard!) by an SUV.

The guy hit me so hard that the airbags, above the back seat, went off and my seat belt broke, it won't recoil its self back in any more. My whole trunk is bent inward, taillights, bumper, and exhaust, damaged! It was still drivable though.

The guy who hit me had insurance and the cops gave him the ticket.

OK, so does anyone know if my car is totaled? I remember reading that if the airbags go off they total it. I love my car but it won't be the same. I would rather get a new one.

The other driver has progressive insurance. I talked to them today and they want to see my car to determine an estimate. If they want to fix it should I leave it with them or take it to the dealer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just got it a year ago and I’m thinking I'm going to take a big loss here.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
E63S || C63 || E550 Coupe || Cayenne ||
That seems like alot of damage.. even if you do get it fixed, like you said it would be differnt. But having the whole trunk bent outta place... I'd want to write it off too..
Old 08-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Nobody can tell you 100% from a post without pics.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Totalling is a combination of an economic calculation and an engineering recommendation. If the floorpan is deformed, that may create a manufacturer's recommendation not to repair. Other than that, its a matter of cost of repair versus value of the vehicle. Photos won't get you an reliable answer here...you need to get the adjuster to do an estimate. Glad you're OK. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 PM

'86 190E, '93 CAMRY V6 XLE, '94 626-LXV6, '96 328is, '09 C350
were you hurt? have a check yup.. you probably wont feel it now but youre neck and spine might hurt in the future,,
Old 08-30-2009, 11:31 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Another crunched 204

Originally Posted by Tazwell3
So last night my 2008 c-300, with only 7,000 miles, was rear ended on the freeway.

I was driving on the freeway last night and a lane had been closed for construcion. One of the cars infront of me got confused and came to almost a complete stop in the middle of the freeway. I see it and start slowing down with no problem then about two seconds later I get rear ended (hard!) by an SUV.

The guy hit me so hard that the airbags, above the back seat, went off and my seat belt broke, it won't recoil its self back in any more. My whole trunk is bent inward, taillights, bumper, and exhaust, damaged! It was still drivable though.

The guy who hit me had insurance and the cops gave him the ticket.

OK, so does anyone know if my car is totaled? I remember reading that if the airbags go off they total it. I love my car but it won't be the same. I would rather get a new one.

The other driver has progressive insurance. I talked to them today and they want to see my car to determine an estimate. If they want to fix it should I leave it with them or take it to the dealer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just got it a year ago and I’m thinking I'm going to take a big loss here.
You don't leave it with anyone. Taking it to a dealer is waste of time unless they have their own in house body shop. Notify your own insurance carrier as your contract requires but do not make a claim. The other guy is paying and his company is the one you will be dealing with. Tell them your car is now off the road and you will require them to provide a rental car until it is either written off or repaired. If it is repaired you are entitled to diminished value in addition to the repair costs because any damage history will reduce the value of the car later on when it's time to trade or sell it. You may use any body shop you choose and not one that the insurance company presses you to use. Be very sure that any shop used understands exactly what kind of repair you require which will of course be an undetectable one.

Since this sounds like a pretty big hit, you may expect some back or neck pain so you should see your doctor for his opinion and to start a paper trail.
Do not sign any releases from anybody until the entire situation is concluded including your injuries, if any.

This is just the start.

Last edited by RLE; 08-30-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:41 AM

2008 C300 Sport
Thanks guys. I'm fine my lower back felt a little tight today. I think it's nothing. It was a hard impact but the other guys SUV looked way worse than my car. The Benz handled the impact great, I was very impressed. I just miss my car.

I really appreciate the responses. It's good to know what to expect.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 W210 E55
flicks?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
It sounds like you are physically OK; your seat belt broke that’s real bad, get yourself an attorney.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C 350 Obsidian Black
Seat belt did not "Break" The seat belt pretensioner activated which no only tightens the belts upon impact to keep you in the seat, but ultimately lock the belt in it's current position.

No one can tell you if your car is totaled other than the insurance company. They only thing I would recommend if they are going to repair the car is to only go with a very good very highly recommended body shop, or with one that is MB Certified to repair Mercedes. At least then you know that they understand they are working with various differnt steel components. i.e. high strength steel does not like to be drilled and I believe you have to be careful with welding to keep it's strength.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:12 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Paint

Originally Posted by Star & Laurel
Seat belt did not "Break" The seat belt pretensioner activated which no only tightens the belts upon impact to keep you in the seat, but ultimately lock the belt in it's current position.

No one can tell you if your car is totaled other than the insurance company. They only thing I would recommend if they are going to repair the car is to only go with a very good very highly recommended body shop, or with one that is MB Certified to repair Mercedes. At least then you know that they understand they are working with various differnt steel components. i.e. high strength steel does not like to be drilled and I believe you have to be careful with welding to keep it's strength.
Good points and also keep in mind that the car uses nano-particle clear coat which is not the same paint as the other German cars use.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:24 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Speaking of accidents. Or are they?

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Totalling is a combination of an economic calculation and an engineering recommendation. If the floorpan is deformed, that may create a manufacturer's recommendation not to repair. Other than that, its a matter of cost of repair versus value of the vehicle. Photos won't get you an reliable answer here...you need to get the adjuster to do an estimate. Glad you're OK. Good luck.
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newpho...otics2009aug31
Old 08-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
I used to have a Mazda RX-7 back in the 90s, and the insurance company totaled it when a van ran me off the road and I slid across the wet grass into a double poled speed limit sign. The extent of damage wasn't huge, but I remember them saying they decided to total it and cut me a fat check because of the percentage of body panels damaged. The bumper, hood, both fenders, windshield and roof were damaged. It seems like over 50% damage by section, not degree, is a "total". If you're trying to get it totaled, make sure to point out as much damage in as many places as possible.

EDIT: Also many states state that you can require the insurance company to replace your car with a car of equal or greater value. So if you don't mind a color change, you might be able to press them to find a 2008 C300 with equal options and similar mileage that is free and clear of an accident. The best advice of all is to ask your lawyer, not an internet forum. If you don't have a lawyer watch daytime television for about 12 minutes until you find an advertisement that starts "Been in an accident?..." or open your yellow pages to "attorney" and look at the first 20 pages of full page ads.

Last edited by Peabody; 08-31-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:04 AM

C300, 330i, MDX
Originally Posted by Tazwell3
Thanks guys. I'm fine my lower back felt a little tight today. I think it's nothing. It was a hard impact but the other guys SUV looked way worse than my car. The Benz handled the impact great, I was very impressed. I just miss my car.

I really appreciate the responses. It's good to know what to expect.
You're lower back is a little tight as you said, I highly recommend that you see a physical therapist.

If "they" don't total the car, you may want to get it fix, take the loss and just get another one. Totalled or not, if you were hit that hard, you may have frame damage and your car will never drive the same again.

My two cents...
Old 09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Peabody
If you don't have a lawyer watch daytime television for about 12 minutes until you find an advertisement that starts "Been in an accident?..."
LMAO!!!

That is hilarious - so true

Best response I've seen in a long time...