C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Suspension differences on the sports package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 2009
Suspension differences on the sports package?

Can anyone tell what the differences are between the sport package and the standard suspension? I talked my wife int getting the sports package, and now realize she really would desire a less bumpy ride. The car has the 18" rims and low profile tires. At this writing, all I know is that the tires are different sizes from front to rear. My first inclination would be to soften up her ride by going to a less radical tire and possibly 17" rims. I'm wondering if the suspension is tuned for these tires. The car is a C300 (2009).
Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
We have the same car, but I turned down the 18" tires and took 17" for what you are experiencing, plus concern about the first hint of the winter roads before I swap to Blizzaks. My cousin bought a C300 Luxury and it does feel quite different, moreso than just tires, so the model differences likely include spring rates and shock valving changes.

I don't know if the OE suspension spec changes within C300 Sport depending on which tire is specified at the plant. But, you should certainly realize some noticeable ride improvement with 17" wheels/tires. Mine rides very comfortably, only getting some complaints from my wife who prefers her E350....that's a difference I would expect. For what sounds like your wife's preferences, I would look at the Michelin Primacy MXV4...a "grand touring" tire at TireRack.com. I run higher-performance Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, which I find to be excellent, although not as comforting as the Primacies would be.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Advanced Agility Package

Also called Active Agility Control. You have to order this separsately if not included in a package in your country. When I ordered this, no dealer could tell me exactly how the ride would be, I hoped it would be soft.

When I got it the dealer was surprised as me at the soft ride. In my car I can hardy feel the ripples, sometimes nothing on a good road, on the tar in Comfort mode. In sportmode it stiffens up and the road can be felt clearly.

I driven twice in a C180 with normal suspension and could clearly felt the ripples in road.

Everybody I took for a spin has two initial remarks:Very beautiful car, and super smooth on the road.

Now after 20 00Km I cannot imagine another suspension in a C-class.

The C63 should have had such an type of option with reduced power in comfort mode..?, and Dr Jeckyl in Sport mode.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by pmaru77
Can anyone tell what the differences are between the sport package and the standard suspension? I talked my wife int getting the sports package, and now realize she really would desire a less bumpy ride. The car has the 18" rims and low profile tires. At this writing, all I know is that the tires are different sizes from front to rear. My first inclination would be to soften up her ride by going to a less radical tire and possibly 17" rims. I'm wondering if the suspension is tuned for these tires. The car is a C300 (2009).
In the US, the sport has lower firmer springs. We do not have the Advanced Agility Control, which allows for suspension setting by the driver. I am glad my car does not have it. The 18" wheels are not helping the ride either. You should test drive a sport with the 17" wheels to see if you can feel the difference. If you like the ride better switch to 17" wheels with good all-season tires that have a softer sidewall. Not the best for handling, but your ride will soften. I put General Altimax HPs (grand touring) on my Volvo because most of the reviews discussed the soft sidewall. They are really inexpensive, very comfortable and they last. The tread rating is 440. Again, not bad, but not great if you want really sharp handling.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:32 PM

2004 C240
Sports or regular suspension????

I have a button on my car, next to the transmission shifter that says C and S. I don't know if that's for the "sports" or the "cruising" but I need new struts and there is a difference between what you can purchase. They sell monroe struts for the "sports edition shocks" and the "regular shocks". Does that button that reads C and S mean I need to purchase the "sports struts"?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic; 2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
No. The C and S stands for Comfort or Sport, which is a setting that adjusts the shifting points and response to throttle input for the transmission.

I have the advanced agility package on my 2010 C300, option code 315 which has a sport button on the dash panel next to where the heated seat button is. That button activates S for the transmission, changes the e-gas input, plus stiffens the shocks which are Monroe, and have active valving.

The C/S button is then replaced with just an M button.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 AM

2004 C240
Originally Posted by kjb55
No. The C and S stands for Comfort or Sport, which is a setting that adjusts the shifting points and response to throttle input for the transmission.

I have the advanced agility package on my 2010 C300, option code 315 which has a sport button on the dash panel next to where the heated seat button is. That button activates S for the transmission, changes the e-gas input, plus stiffens the shocks which are Monroe, and have active valving.

The C/S button is then replaced with just an M button.
Thank you. So I guess I need the regular set of struts.