C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Forward looking camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2009 | 12:41 AM

C350
Forward looking camera

Hi all,
I would like to have a front facing camera mounted somewhere and it will record to a Sandisk dvr at all times when I'm driving:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-vide....html?tag=rnav

The front looking camera will be something like the Kenwood CCD 2000 backup camera a few people installed in their DIYs... i.e. something small I don't want a video camera sized camera, something small and not intrusive.

Now my question to you is: Where do you think will be the best place to mount it? in terms of running the wires? I'm thinking of putting the camera somewhere near the rear view mirror and the DVR in the glove compartment connected to the 12V DC. (Do you also know if the power to the 12V is OFF when the car is turned off?)
Alternatively I can mount it somewhere high on the passenger side, or even on the dash..
What do you guys think? Looking for some ideas
Thanks all
Old 09-21-2009 | 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by nickm
Hi all,
I would like to have a front facing camera mounted somewhere and it will record to a Sandisk dvr at all times when I'm driving:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-vide....html?tag=rnav

The front looking camera will be something like the Kenwood CCD 2000 backup camera a few people installed in their DIYs... i.e. something small I don't want a video camera sized camera, something small and not intrusive.

Now my question to you is: Where do you think will be the best place to mount it? in terms of running the wires? I'm thinking of putting the camera somewhere near the rear view mirror and the DVR in the glove compartment connected to the 12V DC. (Do you also know if the power to the 12V is OFF when the car is turned off?)
Alternatively I can mount it somewhere high on the passenger side, or even on the dash..
What do you guys think? Looking for some ideas
Thanks all
why???? security reasons? or are u an undercover cop and need to equip your vehicle with a police cruiser style cam?
Old 09-21-2009 | 11:42 AM

C350
if I had a $ for every time an accident happened in front of me I would be a millionaire. Seriously though, when an ambulance blew a red light speeding and hit me, I had to result in witness satements etc.. A fish eye cam would have caught the whole thing on tape and I wouldn't have to run around trying to prove my case.
Old 09-21-2009 | 11:49 AM

C204
Originally Posted by rb23lb
why???? security reasons? or are u an undercover cop and need to equip your vehicle with a police cruiser style cam?
I know guys who have installed forward looking cameras just to record the stupid **** they pull on highways . . The camera isn't constantly recording and it isn't hidden either. They sell a special stand that attaches behind the drivers and passengers headrest and you can place a regular video camera on it.
Old 09-21-2009 | 12:43 PM

\
I wouldn't mount a backup camera, especially if you want to use it for evidence.

There are forward looking cameras that are specifically designed for that use that record at much higher resolutions..

http://www.protectallsecurity.com/products.html
Old 09-21-2009 | 02:10 PM

2008 c300
It'd be good if you auto crossed too. I made one of those headrest mounts for my GTI, worked out great. If it was a night vision or some sort of infared camera it could also help with night time driving on dark roads. That'd be neat.
Old 09-21-2009 | 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
lots of people who take their cars around the track do this. Good for reviewing afterward to improve driving skills and techniques.
Old 09-21-2009 | 03:29 PM

2009 c300 sport
hi,
jst a thought, how bout up on the rear view mirror?.....inside the unit.