C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2000 C 280 will not start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 mercedes c280
Question 2000 C 280 will not start

After the key is inserted then I am able with no problem to turn it all the way to the position that should start the engine. Battery is fully charged, I can play radio, open or close the car with central lock. Everything is functional; this is where I have suspected Faulty Crank Position Sensor. After replacing the sensor problem has not been solved, engine will still not engage, car will not start. When I was replacing crank position sensor, I have observed interesting think, that the old sensor was covered with oil; is that normal? Or something else is happening here. Now, I would like to replace spark plugs, and perhaps some of relays that are responsible for system startup in my car, can you please advice how to proceed? i don’t have the diagnostic scan tool available however, I don’t think it will help much since the car engine is not running, or maybe I am wrong. All this happen gradually, sometimes car would not start and then would engage with no problem. Two days ago, I came back home and since then I am dealing with the problem. Please advice, thanks.

Last edited by rbhre; 09-26-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: missing words
Old 09-26-2009, 11:30 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Clarify

Originally Posted by rbhre
After the key is inserted then I am able with no problem to turn it all the way to the position that should start the engine. Battery is fully charged, I can play radio, open or close the car with central lock. Everything is functional; this is where I have suspected Faulty Crank Position Sensor. After replacing the sensor problem has not been solved, engine will still not engage, car will not start. When I was replacing crank position sensor, I have observed interesting think, that the old sensor was covered with oil; is that normal? Or something else is happening here. Now, I would like to replace spark plugs, and perhaps some of relays that are responsible for system startup in my car, can you please advice how to proceed? i don’t have the diagnostic scan tool available however, I don’t think it will help much since the car engine is not running, or maybe I am wrong. All this happen gradually, sometimes car would not start and then would engage with no problem. Two days ago, I came back home and since then I am dealing with the problem. Please advice, thanks.
"Will not start" is not enough info. Does the starter operate or not does it crank but not fire?

When my W202 would not operate the starter, it was caused by the driver's door lock electrical contact for the starter lockout feature of the alarm system. Even if your car does not have the factory alarm, it has a starter interlock. When it fails to crank, get out and lock and unlock the door with the key. If it the starter then operates, you have located the trouble and the part in the door must be replaced.

BTW, you should be asking this on the W202 list, not W204.