C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Brake fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:18 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Brake fluid

Since my C300 will have it's second birthday in ten days, I had it's brake fluid changed today. 16371 miles.

$85 plus tax and well worth it.

And since the wheels are removed for this operation, I didn't have to rotate the wheels myself which it was due for.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
RLE and

I have found a subject upon which we can at last agree. :)

Suspect that it may have been more of a thorough bleeding procedure rather than a complete fluid replenishment. Nonetheless, such inexpensive dealership-performed service is indeed a delegated task every non-DIY MB owner should regularly specify. WIS tangentially includes interior wheel pad dust and road grime cleaning concurrently. A true bargain for only ~$85 plus applicable taxes and hazardous waste disposal fees.

Ideally, it's to be replaced every biennial springtime or immediately prior to any spirited (off-highway) operation. Brake fluid is highly hygroscopic. The deleterious effects of its moisture absorption properties have been well documented among enthusiasts here and elsewhere. Boiled fluid or corroded brake components best be avoided if one intends to insist upon properly exploiting all the performance or longevity for which he’s already paid.

reference
Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Change, not "bleed."

Originally Posted by splinter
I have found a subject upon which we can at last agree.

Suspect that it may have been more of a thorough bleeding procedure rather than a complete fluid replenishment. ........
You are too suspicious.

What they do is empty the brake fluid reservoir completely (suck it out) and refill it before beginning the fluid change. And even as a heavy DIY owner, I say there are some things that are worth paying someone else to do and this is one of them.

And while I'm at it, those with 6-speeds should see to it that their clutch slave cylinders are also bled when this operation is performed.

Shop time is .6 hour.

Last edited by RLE; 10-08-2009 at 11:44 PM.