C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Advice on C Class Purchase!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2009 | 11:56 PM

C280
Advice on C Class Purchase!!

For the past several years I have been driving Toyota product (Camry) and have had no problems at all with Toyota product. However I want to upgrade to the next best (better) thing which I personally feel for the value would be a C class MB. Does anybody have any advice on whether a C230, 280 or 300 is better and if so besides engine size how is the maintenance and repairs of the C Class MB? Are they maintenance free as long as you change the oil and fluids? You can email your repsonse to James@koolDocs.com

Thanks,
James Egidio
Old 10-15-2009 | 12:07 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Upgrade

Originally Posted by JimEgid
For the past several years I have been driving Toyota product (Camry) and have had no problems at all with Toyota product. However I want to upgrade to the next best (better) thing which I personally feel for the value would be a C class MB. Does anybody have any advice on whether a C230, 280 or 300 is better and if so besides engine size how is the maintenance and repairs of the C Class MB? Are they maintenance free as long as you change the oil and fluids? You can email your response to James@koolDocs.com

Thanks,
James Egidio
In the progression of cars, the W204 C Class is not the next one in line but is well beyond the "rolling appliance" type that most Toyotas are considered to be. Mercedes-Benzes are certainly not maintenance free and running expenses will be higher than a Camry and it's ilk. But, the W204 (and the W221) are the most reliable models in MB history

But, they are worth it and are a car you can actually become enthusiastic about. To the point that they become an important part of your leisure life, believe it or not.

You need to post at least what country you live in. Canada?
Old 10-17-2009 | 12:34 PM

2013 E350 4MATIC
C300 vs. Camry

I just helped my GF move from a Camry to a C300 with P2 package. She is now an MB customer for life. Toyota has seriously gone down hill in the quality and especially the longevity department. I have family still in the car biz (parts suppliers, not sales), and it's apparently well known that Toyota decided to trade-off much higher volume for quality in longevity. 3 Toyota's in our family and they all had $4K to $8K in major service after 100K miles. Toyota used to be bullet proof to 250K miles.

Bottom line, the C300 is SUBSTANTIALLY more luxurious and quality of feel then any Toyota. My personal opinion, this extends to Lexus as well.

Consider the C300 Luxury version rather than the Sport platform. We have the Luxury version. The ride is very firm and taught, the car corners better than must peoples driving ability, and it's about 15% more forgiving on rough roads.

Most people here buy the Sport version, but the Luxury version is just slightly more comfortable as a daily driver, specially if you are coming from a Camry.

-David
Old 10-19-2009 | 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Jim,

If you're moving from a Camry to a C300, 1st thing you will notice is that the C300 is significantly smaller inside and out than your Camry. Be sure you test drive it and sit inside it before you buy it, because I know people who do not like the compact nature of the C300. 2nd, the maintenance is quite expensive. A oil change can easily cost 150 dollars and that does not include the Service A. Even if you decide to change the oil yourself, the cost can be quite high as it requires 9 bottles of synthetic mobil 1 oil + the cost of the filter + the one time initial cost of the oil extractor.

As for the luxury factor of the C300, I own a C350 and IMHO, the car isn't all that luxurious due to the abundant hard plastic and seats that aren't bad but also aren't the best out there. With that being said, I bought my car knowing all these caveats because I was really captivated by the styling and the way it drives. Plus I can't stand forced induction engines.

Word of advice for you is to think first about what you want, when you think you've made up your mind, sleep on it and if you still really want it even after knowing all the minuses, then this is the right car for you. :-D Happy Shopping
Old 10-19-2009 | 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by dw8083
I just helped my GF move from a Camry to a C300 with P2 package. She is now an MB customer for life. Toyota has seriously gone down hill in the quality and especially the longevity department. I have family still in the car biz (parts suppliers, not sales), and it's apparently well known that Toyota decided to trade-off much higher volume for quality in longevity. 3 Toyota's in our family and they all had $4K to $8K in major service after 100K miles. Toyota used to be bullet proof to 250K miles.

Bottom line, the C300 is SUBSTANTIALLY more luxurious and quality of feel then any Toyota. My personal opinion, this extends to Lexus as well.

Consider the C300 Luxury version rather than the Sport platform. We have the Luxury version. The ride is very firm and taught, the car corners better than must peoples driving ability, and it's about 15% more forgiving on rough roads.

Most people here buy the Sport version, but the Luxury version is just slightly more comfortable as a daily driver, specially if you are coming from a Camry.

-David
David,

This is a perfect example of perspective!! For anyone who comes from a Camry to a MB, I would first offer a slightly tongue-in-cheek welcome to caring more about driving a car than just riding behind the steering wheel! The Luxury model may be the best transitional vehicle, but one might also outgrow that first step quickly. In my extended family, I have a Sport and a cousin has a Luxury and I was surprised how squishy and isolated hers felt, but that's why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors! Before MB, I had a couple of BMWs, so coming at this from the diametrical position, I would suggest to any newcomer to drive both and see how much fun you really want to have. There is no "correct" answer...but a newbie might like a "flavor" they never tried before!
Old 10-19-2009 | 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by dw8083
I just helped my GF move from a Camry to a C300 with P2 package.
The P2 package was worth it for me. I've carried surfboards, desks, bookcases, and cut plywood with it so far. I've even lined my trunk with a large blanket to sleep with the rear seats down on a camping trip!

To the OP: Maintenance is not free, and expect to shell at least ~$250 on Service A once a year. I can tell you this though, the corporate headquarters treat their customers very well in terms of getting things done when the dealer does not do it. The C Class is a bit heavier than a Camry too so you may want to consider a bigger engine like the C300 and up.