C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Question about watches for W204 members

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 MB C300
Rolex Submariner with black dial, stainless body....classy and never goes out of style.

Omega Seamaster is not bad either, currently on my wrist
Old 10-25-2009, 10:32 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Looks like?

Originally Posted by Peabody
ugh, a Rolex.. really? What are you, 50?

Try a Glashutte

How many look-alikes of the Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch are there, anyway??
Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C350
You would also want to look at brands that make their own movement in-house, most "swiss" watches actually farm out their movements to other companies..........

I like the AMG version of the IWC also, nothing will get closer to the Benz marquee.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Airforce 1
Does my fake Rolex Submariner count... I am 32 and have had a life long dream of owning a benz. I am going to get the C class in March next year on a 10 plate (UK). I dont wear it now cos I drive an old peugeot and I dont think any of my friends would believe I drive a £3000 car but wear a £5000+ watch. Do you guys think anyone will know if it is a fake rolex if I wear it when I drive my benz?
Attached Thumbnails Question about watches for W204 members-imag0004.jpg  
Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
If it has the correct time.....yes
Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
I might be wrong about this, but I think the submariner doesn't have the date magnification but the Yacht Master does. If so that's one glaring mistake. Also, one look at the movement will show the replica lacks the quality of movement that the Rolex should possess. Regardless, I would ditch the knock off. You're paying for their ability to mimic a look, and sacrificing entirely on the quality of movement.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by pappilo
Does my fake Rolex Submariner count... I am 32 and have had a life long dream of owning a benz. I am going to get the C class in March next year on a 10 plate (UK). I dont wear it now cos I drive an old peugeot and I dont think any of my friends would believe I drive a £3000 car but wear a £5000+ watch. Do you guys think anyone will know if it is a fake rolex if I wear it when I drive my benz?
If you are seriously concerned, anyone who knows Rolex will immediately look at the second hand. Rolex is known for the continuous sweeping movement, which is costly to fake. If the second hand moves in halting steps from second to second, that is a very obvious clue that it is not real.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 AM

Airforce 1
I,ll be in my car or walking short distances between my car and wherever I need to go.... surely no idiot will be asking to have a closer look at my watch? I am driving a £30,000 for Christs sake!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 AM

Airforce 1
I might be wrong about this, but I think the submariner doesn't have the date magnification but the Yacht Master does.
The Submariner definitly has the date magnification. This a 'quality' Knock off I imported from China (LOL) and have comapred it to the real thing at Harrods.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by pappilo
I,ll be in my car or walking short distances between my car and wherever I need to go.... surely no idiot will be asking to have a closer look at my watch? I am driving a £30,000 for Christs sake!
Not strangers on the street, but why would you ask or care about that? A front seat passenger in your car who sees your wrist while you are driving could certainly make an observation.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
Here my Tag.
Aquaracer Chrono Automatic.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by RLE
How many look-alikes of the Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch are there, anyway??
The GO looks nothing like the Speedy Pro.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:57 PM

[QUOTE=wanchu83;3778237]I didn't know where to find and want to hear follew w204 drivers opinion

I am in the market of buying new underwear to match with my car.
It's going to be fruit of the loom or calvin klein
But not boxers since can't even get it and when I asked if they have it in the back or storage room, they looked at me wierd(geez I know fruit of the loom boxers are rare).
Anyhow, here are the choice.
1. Calvin kelin white
2. Fruit of the loom black.

I bet you guys know more about underwear than I do.
Which one would you pick if you are in my shoes?
I am 28 years old, btw.

Let me know your thoughts

And one more thing, How much discount you think I could get? (they told me these underwear are not for negotiate, but with cash payment they are willing to try).

Who cares? Really, come on.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:21 AM

2009 C350
Well said, now lets see, watches, underwear, MB belts, handcuffs, whips, the list is endless...............

maybe we can talk about MB piercings..................
Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Comparo

Originally Posted by Ron Jr
The GO looks nothing like the Speedy Pro.
Nothing like it? Au contraire. The three sub-dials, the black dial, the bracelet, the general appearance. Even Porsche Design has a similar arrangement albeit at at stratospheric price.

Yes, I have a Moon watch. Pre-moon, actually.

Last edited by RLE; 10-28-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:36 AM

2010 c300 4matic white
You have GOT to be kidding me!?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:43 AM

\
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Sportstick
If you are seriously concerned, anyone who knows Rolex will immediately look at the second hand. Rolex is known for the continuous sweeping movement, which is costly to fake. If the second hand moves in halting steps from second to second, that is a very obvious clue that it is not real.
The replicas they sell in NYC all use a sweeping movement, it's not THAT expensive to fake.

1. Right now, the EASIEST way to detect a fake without taking the watch apart, is by the CRYSTAL:

The crystal on the authentic date-model has a date bubble with a 2.5 times magnification and thus the date looks very big in the bubble. The fakes often have only a 1.5 times magnification and the date looks MUCH smaller.

2. Winding Crown: Many fakes do not screw in precisely and get stuck and do not have a rubber gasket. Authentic Rolex watches screw in smoothly and have a visible seal (tiny rubber piece) that seals the watch watertight.

3. Watertight case: The rubber seal inside the winding crown allows the authentic Rolex watch to maintain a watertight seal on the case. Fakes cannot usually handle total submersion in water.

4. Bezel: Fakes often have notches that are too large and bezel is too loose. Authentic have 60 tight clicks.

5. Markings: Especially look for detail on the face of the watch. But, many good fakes have mastered the proper markings.6. Illumination: Authentic watches illuminate in the dark on the hands and some also with the hour markers.

7. Sweeping second hand: The authentic do have a small tic to them but appear to sweep. Many good fakes do a great job at sweeping.

8. Weight: is often heavier on authentic because of the 18k gold case. But, many high quality fakes are now doing a good job with the weight.

9. Bracelets: Authentic use screws instead of pins that look like screws. Many good fakes use screws as well.

10. Gold: No 24k gold is used on authentic, as it is too yellowish and brassy. Only 18K gold is used on authentic watches.

11. Divers Extension: Authentic Submariner models have the extra fold out to go over a wetsuit.

12. Backs: Only fakes have clear backs so that the inner workings of the watch can be seen. Fake backs are also often engraved with serial or model #'s or the Rolex crown. Authentic backs are plain, smooth and sometimes have the green sticker.

REPOSTED FROM http://www.fakereviews.com/watch.htm
Old 10-28-2009, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE
Nothing like it? Au contraire. The three sub-dials, the bracelet, the general appearance. Even Porsche Design has a similar arrangement albeit at at stratospheric price.

Yes, I have a Moon watch. Pre-moon, actually.
Case shape is totaly different as are the pushers and the whole look of the dial not just the sub dials. The 3, 6, 9 subdials is only one of two choices the other is 6, 9 and 12 (if you want full functions on your chrono). Also the Speedy Pro is a classic but it is far from the first to have that dial layout. The functions of the subdial are also flipped between the two

Last edited by Ron Jr; 10-28-2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Added Images
Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
The replicas they sell in NYC all use a sweeping movement, it's not THAT expensive to fake.

1. Right now, the EASIEST way to detect a fake without taking the watch apart, is by the CRYSTAL:

The crystal on the authentic date-model has a date bubble with a 2.5 times magnification and thus the date looks very big in the bubble. The fakes often have only a 1.5 times magnification and the date looks MUCH smaller.

2. Winding Crown: Many fakes do not screw in precisely and get stuck and do not have a rubber gasket. Authentic Rolex watches screw in smoothly and have a visible seal (tiny rubber piece) that seals the watch watertight.

3. Watertight case: The rubber seal inside the winding crown allows the authentic Rolex watch to maintain a watertight seal on the case. Fakes cannot usually handle total submersion in water.

4. Bezel: Fakes often have notches that are too large and bezel is too loose. Authentic have 60 tight clicks.

5. Markings: Especially look for detail on the face of the watch. But, many good fakes have mastered the proper markings.6. Illumination: Authentic watches illuminate in the dark on the hands and some also with the hour markers.

7. Sweeping second hand: The authentic do have a small tic to them but appear to sweep. Many good fakes do a great job at sweeping.

8. Weight: is often heavier on authentic because of the 18k gold case. But, many high quality fakes are now doing a good job with the weight.

9. Bracelets: Authentic use screws instead of pins that look like screws. Many good fakes use screws as well.

10. Gold: No 24k gold is used on authentic, as it is too yellowish and brassy. Only 18K gold is used on authentic watches.

11. Divers Extension: Authentic Submariner models have the extra fold out to go over a wetsuit.

12. Backs: Only fakes have clear backs so that the inner workings of the watch can be seen. Fake backs are also often engraved with serial or model #'s or the Rolex crown. Authentic backs are plain, smooth and sometimes have the green sticker.

REPOSTED FROM http://www.fakereviews.com/watch.htm

WOW...that's a lot of good info. My knowledge of the fake results from what a jeweler told me decades ago when we had a fake which was passed off to us as real. (Although he also pointed out the substantial weight difference, as well.) I guess technology has improved over the years for everyone. The funniest part was that we kept that fake for a couple of years and looking back at it versus the two real ones I bought more recently, the fake kept better time....as that quartz movement second hand ticked...ticked...ticked away...second to second. The best our real ones ever did, despite "official" Rolex care at their Fifth Avenue store in NYC, was within a couple of minutes a week...supposedly "normal" they said. For me, no amount of style justified that, but then again, I never bought a Jag either! Hope all your Rolexes are doing better...maybe their time keeping technology has improved as well.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Peabody's post is good but not 100% accurate. There are fake Rolex's out there that would fool even a rolex expert as long as the case isn't opened. The reason is they use real Rolex parts other than the movement which is usually a Chineses copy of an ETA 2824-2. I have seen and handled a fake SD made this way and it fooled me even with my SD on my wrist. They are not cheap though around $1500.00 USD a couple of years ago.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

More info pls

Originally Posted by YANKYFN
You have GOT to be kidding me!?
About?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fakes and such

Originally Posted by Sportstick
WOW...that's a lot of good info. My knowledge of the fake results from what a jeweler told me decades ago when we had a fake which was passed off to us as real.
Well, hell, fakes are not all that shameful. I wore a fake President to work for years because it kept accurate time and if I damaged it, my world would not come to an end. Then one day it committed horological seppuku and it's retired now. BTW, it cost 40 bucks in the International Market Place in Honolulu.

Try that with a $75K Gold Daytona, for example. Of course, if one had one of those, a person's "people" would take care of any work that surfaced anyway.

My everyday watch is an Omega Constellation but I have a restored 18K Seamaster Chronograph plus the Speedmaster (both purchased on the same day) and an Omega stopwatch. Plus several $10 replicas from Canal Street in NYC. All expired.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300
Old 10-28-2009, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 4matic
flashy expensive watches are pretty tacky these days, as with any other excessive displays of wealth.

I love my Link Chronograph Automatic because it is modern, well crafted and understated.
My only problem is the amount of maintanence required for the automatic and it is not as accurate at times.

I'm actually thinking of getting a nice vintage watch. The look is classic and sophisticated and not as flashy as a new one.

Last edited by aowhaus; 10-28-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
My fake rolex has the green sticker on the back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about watches for W204 members