C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

'Device not available'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350 Elegance
'Device not available'

Haven't seen this error before in the forum, and just want to post my experience.

Last Sunday I started my car and an error message appeared in the radio screen: 'Device not available'. I have a C350 with Audio 20 and CD Changer.

At first I tought it was my iphone not available in bluetooth, but then I saw the signal meter on the screen and made a call error free.

Then I try to use the CD Changer and bingo. The error message appeared again, and the cd changer screen appears blank with the only option available was to use the Aux input. Everything else work perfectly (radio, settings, etc)

I turn off the car, and restarted it to see if the message disappears but was not succesful. The message keep appearing and could no use the cd changer. I started to freak and think I would have to send the car to the dealership ($$$).
Then I pressed the Load/Eject button on the radio to see what happened and at that time I had only 3 cds in the drive. But the screen showed no cds at all. So I then selected CD1 wich was inside the unit but not recognize by it and finally the unit reload it and start to play it. So I did the same for cds 2 and 3.

So if you encounter this error in the future, try pressing the Load/Eject button on the radio a select your cds one by one to see if the error goes away and avoid a visit to the dealer.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 PM

2010 C300, 1971 911E Targa
Awesome! I wanted to DAFS before I posted this issue that I had. Thanks for solving it, I had to remove the battery (and update the Blackberry 9650 just in case).

My 9330 BB worked fine but my wife's phone would cut out the radio.

Thanks again for having this problem before I did...
Old 04-06-2013, 12:42 AM

2009 C200
Originally Posted by rgmartell
Haven't seen this error before in the forum, and just want to post my experience.

Last Sunday I started my car and an error message appeared in the radio screen: 'Device not available'. I have a C350 with Audio 20 and CD Changer.

At first I tought it was my iphone not available in bluetooth, but then I saw the signal meter on the screen and made a call error free.

Then I try to use the CD Changer and bingo. The error message appeared again, and the cd changer screen appears blank with the only option available was to use the Aux input. Everything else work perfectly (radio, settings, etc)

I turn off the car, and restarted it to see if the message disappears but was not succesful. The message keep appearing and could no use the cd changer. I started to freak and think I would have to send the car to the dealership ($$$).
Then I pressed the Load/Eject button on the radio to see what happened and at that time I had only 3 cds in the drive. But the screen showed no cds at all. So I then selected CD1 wich was inside the unit but not recognize by it and finally the unit reload it and start to play it. So I did the same for cds 2 and 3.

So if you encounter this error in the future, try pressing the Load/Eject button on the radio a select your cds one by one to see if the error goes away and avoid a visit to the dealer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had similar problem in my 2009 C 200. While I was trying to eject CDs from the changer, only 1 ejected then "drive unavailable" message appeared. No other CD's were visible and couldn't play them. All other functions were fine.

When I started the car next day the message started to flash on the display panel at the same time, I heared the beep sound from the speaker. I had to drive more than 7 hours with this beep sound to come home.

With the help of above experience I followed the same steps. Turned on the system and then radio and inserted a CD. Straight away the CD was inserted and started to play. The beep sound stopped and whole system started to work fine.

Otherwise I have to pay top dollars to dealership.

Thank you so much
Old 06-01-2013, 01:28 PM

2009 C300 4Matic
I had the same problem with my 2009 C300 yesterday morning. Everything was fine when I pulled in to the garage Thursday night, and then Friday morning, I'm greeted with an annoying beep and no access to my CDs. I've tried the approach posted above without success; selecting the CDs on the load/eject menu just yields another "Device unavailable" message.

Is this a problem with the COMAND unit? I see that's covered by extended warranty, which is kind of what I'm hoping for as I don't have the spare cash for a big (multi-thousand dollar) repair bill right now...
Old 09-12-2015, 10:35 AM

Glk350
Device unavailable

I have this issue as well n did the abode steps without success,
I presumed by now, you got yours resolve, care to share what was done?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2018, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
2015 C300 multimedia 20 device not available

just happened this wknd and dealer says many cars just starting to have this issue and navigation activating error also.
Dealer says MB says no sfwr fix and need to replace hardware, but need to bring car in first.
Anyone else with issues?
ps eject didn’t work.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:42 PM

Glk350
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
just happened this wknd and dealer says many cars just starting to have this issue and navigation activating error also.
Dealer says MB says no sfwr fix and need to replace hardware, but need to bring car in first.
Anyone else with issues?
ps eject didn’t work.
i don’t believed it’s a software issue, device not available is likely the CD player. Did you try the steps in the above posts?
I did way back but was not successful.

i went to a used car dealer that has his own garage n they are good at swapping out radio/CD unit n this was what he did

He used a small long knife n swiped in left right motion n same time kept pressing the unload button,that somehow
cleared the jammed or stuck CD

Thsts how mine was resolved.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:32 AM

MERVWDES BENZ C CLASS 2009
Drive unavailabe issue on audio system of mercexes benz c300

Thank younfor this post. It resolved the issue with my benz.the audio system stoped accessing disc and displayed drive unavailable error. I stopped the car , on the engine and put the audio in radio mode. Then pressed the eject button and the system ejected all the disc which i have not been able to eject for 24 hours. I reloaded the discs and everything was back to normal.
please if you ever have this issue dont go to service for this. Just follow this step and resolve it yourself.
Thank you
Old 11-23-2020, 01:00 PM

W204 C200K
Many thanks guys

I also had the "Device Unavailable" error and the extremely annoying beeping in my 2009 W204 C200K a few days ago. After seeing your posts I managed to get it to stop by inserting a CD into the CD changer. It went in and out many times before finally loading - I guess the mechanism needs some lubrication after 11 years and having hardly ever played a CD.

Many thanks for the help.