C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

A/C Odor??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 SPORT
A/C Odor??

A ran into another issue, Lately when the A/C button is switched on, I've noticed this really bad wet dog type odor coming from the vents. If i were to turn off the a/c button it would eventually go away....What the hell is this annoying smell...Dam thing catches me by suprise sometimes, if i hit the Auto button the A/C button would come on also and especially if i have people in the car their like wtf is that!!
If anyone knows what could cause this, or an idea whats going on...So this way i wont show upto MB with just "hey my car smells like wet dog!"
Old 11-09-2009, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
i don't know but i have the same problem...never had any issues on my 07 e...

my mom's c63 also did the same thing yesterday...made me want to throw up when i was driving the car...

beauty of the situation is that I use my A/C as INFREQUENTLY as possible..
Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM

2008 Mercedes C 300 Sport
I have the same issue. What it is is that condesation builds up in the air tubes that lead to the vents. When you turn the A/C off, the condesation begins to mold. So the next time you turn on your air, you will have that smell. They say you are suppose to turn your AC of and allow the vent to run on high air circulation in order to dry up some of the condesation. But I find this to be a time consuming task that doesnt help much. Now I have a smell when the AC and heater turns on. When the vent is on the smell is gone. If anyone knows how to get rid of it, please post.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:30 PM

2009 C300 SPORT
I see, but here's another question my vents are never off. There always running on auto I would adjust the temp here and there but that’s about it...Now if there always one and say after I shut off the a/c shouldn't the constant air circulation created by the system without the ac on clear up the condensation? Unless this mold as grown to a point where it just wont blown away anymore just like that. Another point is, why does it only come up when the a/c is on, if there's mold build up in the vents it should always be there since all the air circulates through one vent system? Idk just my two cents
Old 11-09-2009, 05:14 PM

2009 C350
I had the same problem earlier and i looked up some old threads and there were a few things that people suggested

the dealer has some sort of spray that they can spray the tubes to kill the mold or bacteria or whatever they are

there are also sprays that you can buy and DIY

to prevent further growing of the smell, whenever you use the AC, switch it to heater or air only and let it blow for a while before turning off the car to dry the moisture in the tubes
Old 11-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Audi A4 1.9 TDI 2002, MB C200 CDI 2004, MB C220 CDI 2009
There are some odor killer sprays I usually find at petrol stations.
I used few on my other older cars with great results.
In the MB C220 CDI I have inside the mesh bag at foot of the passenger side one battery operated small perfume spray(10,20,30 minutes adjustable) Airwick Freshmatic Mini.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Have you guys looked at whether or not your cabin filter is time for a replacement? NYC does have some nasty air when compared to the rest of the US. It wouldn't hurt to pop the cabin filter out to take a look and see if it smells like that "wet dog" of yours.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:04 PM

'08 c300 sport
You might have ran over a wet dog...

But in all seriousness, you might have ran an animal over lol -_-
Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 PM

08 C350
I used to have that happen when I'd turn off the a/c and then later turn it back on.

My dealer told me to never turn off the a/c manually, period. He said leave it on auto, adjust the temperature as required. The system senses humidity and temperature and will avoid moisture build-up in the car and vent system.

I've had it on auto ever since (over a year) and no more smell. (One exception is right after I go through a car wash, it takes a couple of minutes to dry out the vent system)
Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 PM

C 300
Had this problem, took it to the dealer who did the antifungal spray thing for free, odor went away, eventually came back much, much less noticeable, ran the A/C as directed, and now there is no odor even when I don't run the A/C.

Thing is, though, Winter rains are soon to come, so I expect the odor to return; hoping for the "much, much less" thing when it returns.

The other thing to consider is that this car will fog up inside during raining if you don't run the A/C, so running it is needed no matter what.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
i just turn on the heater full blast for a few minutes and it fixes it. Like everyone said, you just need to dry out the vents and kill the mold spores.