C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

A snow ride in the mountains

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
A snow ride in the mountains

I checked the weather before heading over the pass on Saturday morning, and it was calling for cold, partly cloudy, and maybe some slight snow showers ... typically good weather for the pass and for Central Washington. So I drove the C.

Going over there was frost on the highway, and at 28F that's a bit slick, but no big deal.

I had meetings Saturday afternoon reaching into dusk and when I came out there was a solid dusting of snow. NBD, I just drove carefully.

This morning that light dusting was about 3 inches. My house over there is over a mile from the nearest plowed road (sometimes my road gets plowed, but not today). So I carefully drove out heading back to Seattle. The first hill is about 200 ft from the driveway, and after getting to the top I pressed "C" so as to avoid 1st gear.

I drove carefully to I-90, then at usual speeds to Hyak where the sign read SNOW TIRES REQUIRED. That means, to ROW: you either have certified traction tires, or chains.

Over the pass at 25 mph in about 20 F on one tire strip of bare and mostly slush. Then downhill. The first 5 miles down were the worst, and the car did start to "slide" slightly when it was angled so gravity could have it's way with the car. But no real loss of control.

There was snow on the road until 2 miles before North Bend, then it was bare and wet or just bare as temps rose to a "high" of 37 F in the city.

What's the big deal, you ask? Um. Summer tires, the stock Michelins, with 33K miles on them. C300, 7 speed. ESP on, as usual. Very calm at the wheel, barely touching the wheel. See, I've been driving that pass for 30 years in weather like this. I am impressed with the C's handling this weekend.

In previous cars I've had 4 snow tires and chains at the ready. That describes my Volvo and my Jeep. I'd been parking the C in the garage whenever there was a chance of snow. For whatever reason this weekend I trusted the weather report and drove the C into a snow storm. Oh well, great car!

For those concerned about driving the C in snow, don't be. The pass is at 3000 ft, I started at 2000 ft and ended at about sea level. Lots of up and lots of down on mountain roads, plenty of twisties. Just drive slow and careful and this car will do the rest!

And, oh! My Barolo Red car is now mostly white from all that stuff they spray on the roads to make slush! I can sense a car wash coming soon!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
Last night I had my car in 3-4 inches of snow in NJ and the car stopped on a dime, and never slipped once (on the highway I was passing people and the car was 100% fine), and that was with all-season pirellis (tire rack gives them a good rating). My car is 4matic.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 C300S 4M
Pictures!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 PM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Originally Posted by BenTrovato
Pictures!!!
Sorry, too busy watching the road .... I must say that the wipers are a disappointment, in freezing weather when spray reaches the glass, they tend to spread it around and "freeze" it to the glass. I used a lot of washer fluid today.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:27 PM

W203-4M W163
Thanks for relating this story. Gives me even more confidence in my Primacy Michelins on my 4Matic!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
We had about 8 inches of snow here in Denver and a windchill of -5.
My 4matic with Hankook Icebear tires drove confidently.

Here they spray magnesium chloride on the roads instead of salt, which creates a slimey black film on everything. I have to rinse my brakes to keep them performing well -- you can tell the difference when the car hasn't been washed for a while.
Unfortunately mag chloride is known for wearing down wire insulation and certain rubber parts, so keeping your car clean is fairly important.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:47 PM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
So, here's the aftermath. Note all the white stuff. Don't know what it is exactly, but ....

The spray pattern is interesting. Because the speed was so low (below 25 mph) it didn't build up that usual streaming pattern. The sides and lights are oddly patterned, and the hood is clearer than usual. I left some of the plate visible, but it's hard to see the numbers because they're now all the same color.

Even with the washers working so hard, and pressing the spray as much as I did, the right front headlight is really caked with this stuff while the left side isn't so bad. I think that's because there was more of an open track on the left side.

And yeah, I still feel a wash coming on .....
Attached Thumbnails A snow ride in the mountains-snowwash.jpg  
Old 12-07-2009, 05:56 PM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
It occurs to me some want to actually see snow .... so ....

Note that the car was quite clean before I started out ....
Attached Thumbnails A snow ride in the mountains-readytogo.jpg  
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 PM

2012 US Edition C300 Luxury 4-Matic
Originally Posted by jstaneff
I checked the weather before heading over the pass on Saturday morning, and it was calling for cold, partly cloudy, and maybe some slight snow showers ... typically good weather for the pass and for Central Washington. So I drove the C.

Going over there was frost on the highway, and at 28F that's a bit slick, but no big deal.

I had meetings Saturday afternoon reaching into dusk and when I came out there was a solid dusting of snow. NBD, I just drove carefully.

This morning that light dusting was about 3 inches. My house over there is over a mile from the nearest plowed road (sometimes my road gets plowed, but not today). So I carefully drove out heading back to Seattle. The first hill is about 200 ft from the driveway, and after getting to the top I pressed "C" so as to avoid 1st gear.

I drove carefully to I-90, then at usual speeds to Hyak where the sign read SNOW TIRES REQUIRED. That means, to ROW: you either have certified traction tires, or chains.

Over the pass at 25 mph in about 20 F on one tire strip of bare and mostly slush. Then downhill. The first 5 miles down were the worst, and the car did start to "slide" slightly when it was angled so gravity could have it's way with the car. But no real loss of control.

There was snow on the road until 2 miles before North Bend, then it was bare and wet or just bare as temps rose to a "high" of 37 F in the city.

What's the big deal, you ask? Um. Summer tires, the stock Michelins, with 33K miles on them. C300, 7 speed. ESP on, as usual. Very calm at the wheel, barely touching the wheel. See, I've been driving that pass for 30 years in weather like this. I am impressed with the C's handling this weekend.

In previous cars I've had 4 snow tires and chains at the ready. That describes my Volvo and my Jeep. I'd been parking the C in the garage whenever there was a chance of snow. For whatever reason this weekend I trusted the weather report and drove the C into a snow storm. Oh well, great car!

For those concerned about driving the C in snow, don't be. The pass is at 3000 ft, I started at 2000 ft and ended at about sea level. Lots of up and lots of down on mountain roads, plenty of twisties. Just drive slow and careful and this car will do the rest!

And, oh! My Barolo Red car is now mostly white from all that stuff they spray on the roads to make slush! I can sense a car wash coming soon!
I am so glad you had such a great experience with your car and its tires while driving "carefully".
Mine was a totally different experience, the stock continental sports on the AMG wheels that came with the car. Horrible tires..... I was driving with about 3 inches of snow on the ground and was very careful as well. This was the worst driving experience of any car I have ever owned, terrible, I wasn't even sure I could make it home less than 5 miles away? Sure enough came up on a known stop sign, as I started to slow down way before I had to, as I knew about the stop sign, and I swear, if the car in front of me had not pulled out, I would have hit him, I could absolutely not stop my car, sliding big time, no matter jamming on the breaks or slight pumps. I was traveling about 10 to 15 mph.
Now to put this in perspective, I am originally from Connecticut, having a lot of experience driving on snow as well as black ice and other terrible driving conditions, being retired military, I drove as far north as you can go in the state of Maine as well some treacherous black ice conditions that were oh so frequent during the winters of Scotland!
I do not speed especially driving carefully to suit the weather conditions!

A month ago I contacted Tire Rack and with the opinions of a lot of people on this forum, I purchased all season radials for my car and got rid of the junk continental tires that came with the car, yeah they are summer type tires, and definitely not meant to be driven in snow.... so lesson learned..... get better tires for the upcoming winter season this year and other driving conditions, and as an added plus, the handling is much improved and the road noise reduction has to be heard to be believed.

Happy trails with your continued use of the stock continentals tires, my recommendation to you, is get new all season tires, they are much safer, for you as well as everyone driving around you on the very same road.

regards,
Nuke
Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM

ML 350-Black=Sold. New 08 C300 4Matic, Black/Black, P1, Ipod, Auto7speed, 10/10 hit 100,000 miles
I have the stock michelins Pilot tires with 4 matic and in VT last winter was the only vehicle to make it up a steep twisting drive when a Land Roner and a Saab SUV could not. These 4 matics could climb a tree...LOL
Old 12-07-2009, 07:23 PM

2012 US Edition C300 Luxury 4-Matic
Originally Posted by ShoremNJ
I have the stock michelins Pilot tires with 4 matic and in VT last winter was the only vehicle to make it up a steep twisting drive when a Land Roner and a Saab SUV could not. These 4 matics could climb a tree...LOL
The difference being...... all wheel drive and stock Michelin tires, not summer type continentals!
Michelin makes the BEST ire bar none, but alas, my opinion is not necessarily the opinions of others.

Apples and oranges......

Nuke
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
To reiterate:
- RWD, not 4-Matic
- Stock Michelins, summer tires

Driving carefully is always defined differently for each person. For example, I avoid the brakes, using the gear shift to have the car slow using back pressure, then tapping the brakes at the end. I avoid tracks where others have driven, preferring fresh snow whenever possible.

I had a terrible experience on black ice in St. Louis a decade ago. I was in a rental and on those red rock oiled streets, could not tell that there was black ice. Hit the brakes and slid on through, nearly half a block past the stop sign. Very good thing there was no one else around!

And yes, my plan now is to
(a) listen better to the weather reports
(b) put the car in the garage when it snows, and keep it there (I have a perfectly good Jeep for that stuff)
(c) consider 4-wheel Blizzaks on "front' wheels (e.g., get rid of the staggered rears)

thanks
Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 AM

'08 c300 sport
Yeah 4-matic is pretty good in snow. It actually is better in the snow than the Infiniti fx... which isn't that much of a surprise actually.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
Originally Posted by jstaneff
(b) put the car in the garage when it snows, and keep it there (I have a perfectly good Jeep for that stuff)
No, don't do that!

Cars are meant to be driven... hahaha

Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by benyl
No, don't do that!

Cars are meant to be driven... hahaha

I love to see this kind of attitude. Drive the damn things like they were intended!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
I like the look of those wheels on the 63
Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by hutch300
I like the look of those wheels on the 63
I was thinking the same thing.