C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Remus Exhaust for W204 C350 4MATIC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2010 | 02:51 AM

C350 4Matic
i see that you have taken out the middle resonator (the x part of the 2 pipe). So does this exhaust actually connect right to the cat?? or does it goes back to an x-pipe or the original mid-resonator.
Old 02-07-2010 | 03:02 AM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by kit0515
i see that you have taken out the middle resonator (the x part of the 2 pipe). So does this exhaust actually connect right to the cat?? or does it goes back to an x-pipe or the original mid-resonator.
The middle resonator pictured is still on the car. The Remus exhaust connects after the resonator when the pipes straighten out right near the hangers. The drivers side muffler is like an axle back exhaust. There is a clamp that connects the muffler to the pipe coming from the resonator. The passenger side on the other hand does not have a connection between the resonator and the muffler. I took it off as a single piece and had to measure and cut off the rear section and replace it with the Remus exhaust. You can see what I mean in the 3rd picture of the stock exhaust on the driveway. The green tape is where we had to cut to remove the stock muffler. The Remus exhaust slips over top of the remaining resonator pipe up to the hanger and allows the length to be adjusted to match the drivers side.

Whew, I hope that made sense...I have a feeling it didn't lol...if not, I'll try and get some pics of what it looks like underneath tomorrow. I left my camera in the car when I took it to the muffler shop so I couldn't get a picture from the bottom. I'm considering getting a custom x-pipe made for $300.
Old 02-07-2010 | 04:17 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Some updated pictures and a new sound clip:

And the new sound clip (first rev is 2k, second 3k, third 4k):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXP2TytzK0E

Any questions, post them up!

Last edited by Illusive; 02-07-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2010 | 10:59 PM

C350 4Matic
hey illusive you mind sending me a pm on where u got it and how much it was + shipping? thanks!!
Old 02-07-2010 | 11:29 PM

2012 C63 AMG
PM'ed you with information!
Old 02-08-2010 | 12:37 AM

c300
I'm considering getting a custom x-pipe made for $300.[/QUOTE]

im interesting in the custom x-pipe too. when are you getting it?
Old 02-08-2010 | 12:02 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by clover168
Originally Posted by Illusive
I'm considering getting a custom x-pipe made for $300.
im interesting in the custom x-pipe too. when are you getting it?
Well after my debacle with the drivers side exhaust not fitting with the clamp, I took my car to get that section welded. Went to the closest muffler shop to my buddy's place and had a chance to speak with him while we waited for the lift to come down after he was done welding my ehxaust together. Got around to asking him about the X-Pipe and he said that he does all of his own custom work for his cars and for other hot rods. He's not busy right now, but I know I won't have funds to do this until after Chinese New Years or into the first week of March after my pay day. You looking at getting one too? If so, we might be able to get a deal since he is making two of the same thing. When did you plan on getting one done? Let's work something out!
Old 02-08-2010 | 07:47 PM

C350 4Matic
Why dont you guys just get the x-pipe from ebay?? is aorund $80-120 shipped. and puttin it on wont be more then $100
Old 02-08-2010 | 08:18 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Why dont you guys just get the x-pipe from ebay?? is aorund $80-120 shipped. and puttin it on wont be more then $100

I've heard mixed things about the x-pipe from eBay or the Magnaflow one. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of cheaper items on eBay, I'm never sure of the quality I will be getting. For a bit more, I know exactly what I'm getting and it will be custom fitted to my car.
Old 02-08-2010 | 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C350
Sounds great dude! I love the deep tone. I think it'll get a bit more grown once you get that xpipe on it!
Old 02-09-2010 | 12:00 AM

c300
custom made is always priceless....
Old 02-09-2010 | 12:02 AM

c300
Well after my debacle with the drivers side exhaust not fitting with the clamp, I took my car to get that section welded. Went to the closest muffler shop to my buddy's place and had a chance to speak with him while we waited for the lift to come down after he was done welding my ehxaust together. Got around to asking him about the X-Pipe and he said that he does all of his own custom work for his cars and for other hot rods. He's not busy right now, but I know I won't have funds to do this until after Chinese New Years or into the first week of March after my pay day. You looking at getting one too? If so, we might be able to get a deal since he is making two of the same thing. When did you plan on getting one done? Let's work something out!

after chinese new years= red pocket money LOL

well im ready anytime but im leaving town from feb 25 till march 5. so let me know whenever you are ready.you can text or call me if you still have my number
Old 02-09-2010 | 12:11 AM

2012 C63 AMG
after chinese new years= red pocket money LOL

well im ready anytime but im leaving town from feb 25 till march 5. so let me know whenever you are ready.you can text or call me if you still have my number

After March 5 would be ideal. I will contact the guy ahead of time and see if he can work out a deal for us.
Old 02-09-2010 | 12:12 AM

c300
thanks!! cant wait till the x-pipe and quad mod.
Old 02-09-2010 | 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X3 and 2012 C coming soon
It sounds just right. True Remus. It is strange that there is cutting and welding involved as I was also told that it could be bolted on. I like the size of the tips, but I can't believe they don't follow the curvature of the bumper. That's a disappointment. It's hard to see that in the manufacturer's photos.
Old 02-09-2010 | 12:43 PM

2012 C63 AMG
thanks!! cant wait till the x-pipe and quad mod.
I'm sure he can build and install the quad tips for you as well. If you are going to reuse your existing tips and buy two extra, he can do the rest. I think all he really needs is the tips himself and he can fab it up for you. Let me know if you want to do this through him as well, he could probably give you some savings for getting both done.

Originally Posted by Derspeed
It sounds just right. True Remus. It is strange that there is cutting and welding involved as I was also told that it could be bolted on. I like the size of the tips, but I can't believe they don't follow the curvature of the bumper. That's a disappointment. It's hard to see that in the manufacturer's photos.
Yeah I was definitely surprised that I need to cut and weld this exhaust in place. I fully expected this to be a simple bolt on. Once I took out the stock exhaust, I could see the necessity for cutting as the muffler is attached to the resonator. The welding I was very disappointed. The exhaust I got did have the ball flange, but it was way too small to go over the stock connector and to have a good seal with the clamp. To give you an idea, the new section only covered about 1-2mm of the stock flange. When we first put the clamp back on, it barely covered it. Once my buddy tapped it when he tried to get out, the end of the exhaust fell off and hit him in the head. Once we got it on the lift, you could see how it wasn't going to work, but luckily we were able to maneuvre the clamp to hold it on for the 5 minute drive to the muffler shop. It wasn't expensive to weld on, cost me $30 and I discovered a great shop owner who could do custom work for me. Things happen for a reason!

My suggestion to anyone who buys this exhaust is to try and put it on yourself. An extra set of hands will go a long way. The most painful part is removing and installing the hangers. Cutting is straight forward, you'll definitely need a rotary tool. Aside from that, its only a few clamps and some more hangers down the middle. Oh, you'll also need a Torx 12 female end I believe. We didn't have those on hand, but a 10mm hex did the job, just be careful that you don't strip them. Hopefully that ball flange is more substantial on other kits and the clamp will hold it in place. That will eliminate any welding. if not, it's a 5 minute job at your nearest muffler shop and shouldn't cost you too much as everything is setup and ready to go once installed.

Last edited by Illusive; 02-09-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2010 | 08:47 PM

C350 4Matic
Nice... i will be getting this set of exhaust probably end of march as i am ALSO waiting for chinese new years =P
Old 02-10-2010 | 01:00 AM

c300
[QUOTE=Illusive;3931453]I'm sure he can build and install the quad tips for you as well. If you are going to reuse your existing tips and buy two extra, he can do the rest. I think all he really needs is the tips himself and he can fab it up for you. Let me know if you want to do this through him as well, he could probably give you some savings for getting both done.

yea let him know i will do the quad mod as soon as im back from punta cana
Old 02-10-2010 | 03:00 PM

2008 c300 [] 1969 Chevelle SS [] 2010 Camaro
I'm not surprised about the cutting and welding at all. Borla is the same way, and to tell you the truth I have never seen a true "bolt on" exhaust that didn't require some cutting, welding, or bending.

Also, since you're probably going to take this to a muffler shop to get it installed ($300 maybe), i would ask to see if they could angle the tips slightly to make them go with the curve of the bumper. If it doesn't look good they can straighten them out again.
Old 02-10-2010 | 03:19 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by f8al
I'm not surprised about the cutting and welding at all. Borla is the same way, and to tell you the truth I have never seen a true "bolt on" exhaust that didn't require some cutting, welding, or bending.

Also, since you're probably going to take this to a muffler shop to get it installed ($300 maybe), i would ask to see if they could angle the tips slightly to make them go with the curve of the bumper. If it doesn't look good they can straighten them out again.
that really surprises me that a "bolt on" system should require these types of modifications. I can understand little changes to the hangers due to the angle and such, but as for the mounting points, there should be no problems with that. I came from a Honda Fit and I had a Spoon + Fujitsubo exhaust, both of which bolted right into place with no modifications at all. They fit perfectly and I paid half of what I paid for this exhaust. You shouldn't need to take this to a muffler shop to install assuming the flange is large enough (maybe mine was abnormally small), but it shouldn't cost you $300. At most, they should charge you an hours worth of time so $100-$200.

I don't agree with angling the tips outwards for a few reasons. #1 - the mufflers themselves inside of the hole set aside for them is already a tight squeeze. I doubt you can adjust it that much without hitting the walls. I chipped off some of the black paint when I was putting it in because it was so tight in there. #2 - the mufflers will look awkward because the tips and the muffler will be angled outward, not like the stock tip where it is cut on an angle. IMO, I think that looks kind of cheap like a Ractive muffler welded on and bent in the direction you wanted it to point. Reminds me of Nissan 240SX's with the mufflers tilted up and out.
Old 02-10-2010 | 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by f8al

My Neuspeed exhaust was a direct bolt-on with a perfect fit.
Also, it does not look as if those tips can be removed without cutting them to the resonator and installing a different style. That would likely mess up the sound.

Illusive, I listened to it again. It sounds great.
Old 02-10-2010 | 06:40 PM

that really surprises me that a "bolt on" system should require these types of modifications. I can understand little changes to the hangers due to the angle and such, but as for the mounting points, there should be no problems with that. I came from a Honda Fit and I had a Spoon + Fujitsubo exhaust, both of which bolted right into place with no modifications at all. They fit perfectly and I paid half of what I paid for this exhaust.
This has just been my experience and my other friends'. None were honda's though, just camaro's, trans-am's, and your c now.

You shouldn't need to take this to a muffler shop to install assuming the flange is large enough (maybe mine was abnormally small), but it shouldn't cost you $300. At most, they should charge you an hours worth of time so $100-$200.
The $300 was what i figured it would cost for someone to just take the box up there and say "install this". Not $300 to just weld a flange...

I don't agree with angling the tips outwards for a few reasons. #1 - the mufflers themselves inside of the hole set aside for them is already a tight squeeze. I doubt you can adjust it that much without hitting the walls. I chipped off some of the black paint when I was putting it in because it was so tight in there. #2 - the mufflers will look awkward because the tips and the muffler will be angled outward, not like the stock tip where it is cut on an angle. IMO, I think that looks kind of cheap like a Ractive muffler welded on and bent in the direction you wanted it to point. Reminds me of Nissan 240SX's with the mufflers tilted up and out.
I agree with you, if it could be done, it would probably look like crap, but that's why I said If it doesn't look good they can straighten them out again. You never know until you try, it could be subtle enough to not look that bad. Again, if it "could" be done - without messing anything up. Just my 0.02
Old 02-10-2010 | 08:31 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Yeah I don't think a muffler shop should charge $300 to do the full install. The weld should be no more than $30-$40, but the install is super easy. Only difficult part is cutting off the stock passenger side and getting it off the hangers, but as most of these are relatively new cars, they shouldn't be a problem for a reputable mechanic. If anyone does get this and gets a quote for installation, I wouldn't pay more than $200-$250 depending on what the hourly rate is at the shop (1-1.5 hrs max!).

Yeah, these tips were not meant to be adjusted, they are mounted straight to the muffler itself. No way of adding an extra outlet for the quad tips unless you want it just for show and not functional.

Usually when you buy an exhaust, if it's from a reputable company that makes model specific exhausts, they should fit without any issues (especially at this price point)!
Old 02-11-2010 | 04:59 PM

C350
Usually when you buy an exhaust, if it's from a reputable company that makes model specific exhausts, they should fit without any issues (especially at this price point)!
I agree, I have had many bolt on systems (remus on one occasion) and they were all installed as bolt on, no modifications required.
Old 02-11-2010 | 06:18 PM

I wish I could agree, I consider Borla to be reputable, and the price point is the same or maybe even higher than Remus but there were still fitment issues. I guess I am alone in thinking this happens often. I've personally seen it happen a lot, so it didn't surprise me when you had to finish the install at a shop because I had been there before. I'm encouraged to hear that this isn't always the case.

As for the install charge, a lot of people on here were getting charged $100 - $200 just to get an x-pipe installed, based on that I would think $300 would be reasonable for an entire exhaust system.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remus Exhaust for W204 C350 4MATIC