C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

left dipped headlight warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
left dipped headlight warning

I was driving my W204 and suddenly i saw this message. So when I came back hom I looked at the headlights and the left one was off.

Question: I cant work out where the fuse box is to see if its the fuse problem. So whats the fuse number and where to look for it.

P.S My manual is in dutch so I cant understand a word

If i dont get an answer today, i have to make a dealer trip
Old 02-24-2010, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
It isn't a fuse. Do you have Xenons or halogens? Download the English user manual from MBUSA if you prefer English over Dutch, or use the European on-line manual. You should find out how to change a halogen bulb.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by lx Raven xl
I was driving my W204 and suddenly i saw this message. So when I came back hom I looked at the headlights and the left one was off.

Question: I cant work out where the fuse box is to see if its the fuse problem. So whats the fuse number and where to look for it.

P.S My manual is in dutch so I cant understand a word

If i dont get an answer today, i have to make a dealer trip
This occurs intermittently in cold weather on my 2006 A4 as well.
According to my Audi dealership, there is a level sensor located on the suspension in the left wheel well that detects the inclination of the car and controls the self-leveling headlights. If the connections to this sensor are corroded or exposed, or if the level sensor itself is malfunctioning then the "left (or right) dipped headlight" message will appear.
In order to fix this, check all connections to this sensor or replace the sensor.

Or you could do the following test:

This is easiest to test at night. Turn on the vehicle, manually turn the lights to the 12 0'clock position (off). Then turn it back to the "on" position (about 2 0'clock). Does the light turn on? If so, does it stay on, or does the light go out and then display the error message again? If it turns on and goes out again its a manufacturer defect or something wrong with wiring/sensor -- see dealer. If it doesn't turn on, it is possible the bulb blew. You can either try to replace it yourself, or just bring it straight to the dealer. If you replace it yourself, and it still doesn't work, then contact dealer.

Pretty much you see all roads end with the dealer. Bring it in and ask them to diagnose, but I hope I helped you out.

Last edited by jctevere; 02-24-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
Originally Posted by jctevere
This occurs intermittently in cold weather on my 2006 A4 as well.
According to my Audi dealership, there is a level sensor located on the suspension in the left wheel well that detects the inclination of the car and controls the self-leveling headlights. If the connections to this sensor are corroded or exposed, or if the level sensor itself is malfunctioning then the "left (or right) dipped headlight" message will appear.
In order to fix this, check all connections to this sensor or replace the sensor.

Or you could do the following test:

This is easiest to test at night. Turn on the vehicle, manually turn the lights to the 12 0'clock position (off). Then turn it back to the "on" position (about 2 0'clock). Does the light turn on? If so, does it stay on, or does the light go out and then display the error message again? If it turns on and goes out again its a manufacturer defect or something wrong with wiring/sensor -- see dealer. If it doesn't turn on, it is possible the bulb blew. You can either try to replace it yourself, or just bring it straight to the dealer. If you replace it yourself, and it still doesn't work, then contact dealer.

Pretty much you see all roads end with the dealer. Bring it in and ask them to diagnose, but I hope I helped you out.
Yup .. tried that already with switching to o 12'o-clock and then to "beam on" on 2'o-clock. but that did not help. So my guess was the bulb is blown. But wanted to make sure if its not just the fuse . Anyway got the bulb changed at the dealer and now its all good. Was very cheap as well. (10 Euros )