C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Configuring a C350 - please comment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Configuring a C350 - please comment

Hey guys,

I am configuring a 2010 C350 and would like some of you to comment and criticize. Here is my configuration.

Palladium Silver
Grey/Black MB Tex
Black Maple Wood Trim
Premium 2 Package
Multimedia Package
Dynamic Handling Package (Not sure about this)
Rear View Camera
MBrace (Not sure about this)
Keyless Go (Not sure about this)

Here are some of my questions/dilemma:
1) I realize the Dynamic Handling Package is newly available for 2010, so not many people may have it. But I want to ask what is the difference between using driver adjustable suspension and using the Sport/Comfort Mode without the driver adjustable suspension? Also, are there any history of the driver adjustable suspension malfunctioning which may cost a lot to repair if something goes wrong?

2) Is the MBrace option worth it? I don't really care for the Search and Send feature. But what I want to know is if you don't get the MBrace option, do you still get some sort of Automatic Crash Notification in the event of an accident?

3) Does the Keyless Go work well? I like how most Japanese Cars/Audi that have the Keyless entry system use the button on the door to lock the car, because it reacts faster when you lock the car. On the Benz, it seems as if the Keyless Go does not use a button on the door handle, but more like a sensor that you have to place your finger over the pad to lock the car. So, does it take long to unlock/lock the car? For e.g., I don't like how for BMW you have to hold the door handle for a second before the door unlocks. I also don't like how BMW uses the ridges on the door handle to lock the car because it is slow to react. Is the Benz's Keyless Go system similar to the BMW's Comfort Access system?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:25 PM

2009 C350, 2008 X5 4.8i
Originally Posted by Cclassfan
Hey guys,

I am configuring a 2010 C350 and would like some of you to comment and criticize. Here is my configuration.

Palladium Silver
Grey/Black MB Tex
Black Maple Wood Trim
Premium 2 Package
Multimedia Package
Rear View Camera

Here are some of my questions/dilemma:
1) I realize the Dynamic Handling Package is newly available for 2010, so not many people may have it. But I want to ask what is the difference between using driver adjustable suspension and using the Sport/Comfort Mode without the driver adjustable suspension? Also, are there any history of the driver adjustable suspension malfunctioning which may cost a lot to repair if something goes wrong?

2) Is the MBrace option worth it? I don't really care for the Search and Send feature. But what I want to know is if you don't get the MBrace option, do you still get some sort of Automatic Crash Notification in the event of an accident?

3) Does the Keyless Go work well? I like how most Japanese Cars/Audi that have the Keyless entry system use the button on the door to lock the car, because it reacts faster when you lock the car. On the Benz, it seems as if the Keyless Go does not use a button on the door handle, but more like a sensor that you have to place your finger over the pad to lock the car. So, does it take long to unlock/lock the car? For e.g., I don't like how for BMW you have to hold the door handle for a second before the door unlocks. I also don't like how BMW uses the ridges on the door handle to lock the car because it is slow to react. Is the Benz's Keyless Go system similar to the BMW's Comfort Access system?

Thanks in advance!
supposedly the dynamic handling package will firm up the steering response as you travel at higher speeds. . If it does, I wish I had it on mine because the steering feel lacks IMO.

Rear view camera, I don't know how good its on the C350 but my X5 is very average. I find the parking assist MUCH more useful.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by aekara27
supposedly the dynamic handling package will firm up the steering response as you travel at higher speeds. . If it does, I wish I had it on mine because the steering feel lacks IMO.

Rear view camera, I don't know how good its on the C350 but my X5 is very average. I find the parking assist MUCH more useful.
+1 on the steering feeling a bit dead on the highway, while I don't expect it to handle like my old g37 coupe, I felt that the c300 sport steering feel on the highway was a bit loose and left a bit to desire...

Also, I would agree that a rear camera is not worth it, the car is very small, also, I am not 100% sure, but I would rather park assist as well if it offers not only rear sensors, but front sensors. Secondly, you can always add the rear view camera after the fact by yourself for much cheaper and still have it appear OEM.

I don't know what MBrace is, maybe you could elaborate?

Lastly, regarding the keyless go. I don't have it on my vehicle, but my g37 had push-button and keyless go, and I miss it! Its a bit of a pain to have to take out the key to get going, and twice I have locked my key in my trunk and had to have someone drop off the spare, once when I was 30 mins away - stinks! Keyless go prevents this by sensing the key in the trunk and not allowing it to lock. I would say its a very good option. I am not sure if it is like the BMW keyless entry and go, but if it is, it mightbe a sham. I don't see the point of having keyless go if you have to take out the key and stick it in a socket anyway? At least that is my opinion, but I don't have a BMW, but from what I heard, that is what you have to do.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:02 PM

2009 C350, 2008 X5 4.8i
Originally Posted by jctevere
+1 on the steering feeling a bit dead on the highway, while I don't expect it to handle like my old g37 coupe, I felt that the c300 sport steering feel on the highway was a bit loose and left a bit to desire...

Also, I would agree that a rear camera is not worth it, the car is very small, also, I am not 100% sure, but I would rather park assist as well if it offers not only rear sensors, but front sensors. Secondly, you can always add the rear view camera after the fact by yourself for much cheaper and still have it appear OEM.

Lastly, regarding the keyless go. I don't have it on my vehicle, but my g37 had push-button and keyless go, and I miss it! Its a bit of a pain to have to take out the key to get going, and twice I have locked my key in my trunk and had to have someone drop off the spare, once when I was 30 mins away - stinks! Keyless go prevents this by sensing the key in the trunk and not allowing it to lock. I would say its a very good option. I am not sure if it is like the BMW keyless entry and go, but if it is, it mightbe a sham. I don't see the point of having keyless go if you have to take out the key and stick it in a socket anyway? At least that is my opinion, but I don't have a BMW, but from what I heard, that is what you have to do.
+1 on the BMW keyless. For the life of me I don't understand why you have to incert the key and then press the button to start.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Palladium Silver
Grey/Black MB Tex
Black Maple Wood Trim
Premium 2 Package
Multimedia Package
Rear View Camera

+1 for the C350
+1 for Steel Grey Metallic (I get many compliments on this color)
+1 for P2 (I love how the lights start up and adjust itself)
Dynamic Handling Package (I don't have it, but I probably would have bought it if it were available).
You should definitely get the Pano roof as it is beautiful inside with the additional roof in the back.

I wouldn't get keyless go nor MBrace. Ask yourself this, Is it really all that hard to stick a key in the car and turn the key? My personal belief is, it's just another thing to go wrong. (Yes, I have had keyless go in my G35 Sport)

If you are a careless and wreckless driver who is inattentive...than the MBrace might before you. Otherwise, the benz is a car that is built like a tank and is plenty safe.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Interior/exterior colors are clearly the best choice! But, I prefer the modern look of aluminum to the more traditional wood interior trim. I would take both Dynamic Handling and Mbrace. The automatic notification in event of a collision and stolen vehicle locators are like homeowners insurance...you may never need them, but if you do, they are "priceless"!
Old 04-09-2010, 03:50 PM

None
Originally Posted by jctevere

I was also thinking about getting aftermarket park assist instead of the rear view camera, but Mercedes Benz does not offer Park Assist as a factory option in the US, so I am not sure how much it is going to cost to install it aftermarket. The rear view camera seems like a cool option, but I was worried it is not going to be too accurate and it might distort the view a little bit.

All I know about MBrace is that it is a Telematics service. It allows you to send destinations to your car from your computer if you have the NAV option. You can also press the SOS button and talk to a live person if you need help in an accident, or if you want to ask for directions, etc. I am sure there is more to it.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Hey guys,

Palladium Silver
Grey/Black MB Tex
Black Maple Wood Trim
Premium 2 Package
Multimedia Package
Rear View Camera
Great setup. MBrace is the new name for their tele-aid service. If you ever need it, you'll be glad to bought it.

Dynamic Handling - I would of jumped on it if it had been available when I bought mine in '08. The C/S switch next to your gear selector only adjusts the TCU (transmission control unit) so it either shifts at higher rpm's or lower rpm's for a smoother ride. Plus in 'S' the car starts out in 1st, in 'C' the car starts on in 2nd. (unless you punch it)

Rear view camera - how much is it? I just added it to my car for under $200. Really easy, looks OEM. The car is programmed for it so all you have to do it hook up the camera. If your not a DIY person then just order it installed.

Keyless go would be nice but it's a 'cool' thing more than anything else. If you're working within a budget it would be below the other things on my list such as P2, MM, Dynamic Handling, etc..

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 AM

None
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Palladium Silver
Grey/Black MB Tex
Black Maple Wood Trim
Premium 2 Package
Multimedia Package
Rear View Camera

+1 for the C350
+1 for Steel Grey Metallic (I get many compliments on this color)
+1 for P2 (I love how the lights start up and adjust itself)
Dynamic Handling Package (I don't have it, but I probably would have bought it if it were available).
You should definitely get the Pano roof as it is beautiful inside with the additional roof in the back.

I wouldn't get keyless go nor MBrace. Ask yourself this, Is it really all that hard to stick a key in the car and turn the key? My personal belief is, it's just another thing to go wrong. (Yes, I have had keyless go in my G35 Sport)

If you are a careless and wreckless driver who is inattentive...than the MBrace might before you. Otherwise, the benz is a car that is built like a tank and is plenty safe.
The Pano roof seems cool but not worth it to me, since the rear portion does not move at all. IMO, the Pano roof looks best with White, not too sure if it will look out of place for Palladium Silver.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 C350 4M
I just picked up a 2010 350 4M last week. Not sure about the differences in package options between Canada and the US, but basically the only "package option" up here for the 350 is the "premium" pakage which costs a whopping $4,500 and consists of the following:

PARKTRONIC
LINGUATRONIC voice control
Panoramic sunroof
COMAND APS with HDD navgiation, LINGUATRONIC voice control, DVD changer and SD memory slot
KEYLESS-GO

I chose NOT to get the package for the following reasons...

Parktronic - really? This is not a big SUV...turn around and open your eyes.
Linguatronic - if this works anything like my blackberry...I say "Call Home"...I hear..."Calling Office"...garbage. No thanks.
Panramic Sunroof - I had this option in the 2007 Audi I just returned, since 95% of the time I am in the car by myself, the only one that ever enjoyed the extra sunroof (that doesn't open BTW) is my dog! Plus it adds weight to the car, and I agree it only looks good on a black or white car. I got Tenorite(Canada)/Steel(US) grey.
Keyless go - Gimmick. Have we really become that lazy? Put the key in and turn it, it won't kill you.
I saved the Command/NAv for last, becasue this was the only portion of this "premium" option that I really "thought" I wanted...until I actually saw it. What a piece of junk. The Nav is the slowest I have ever seen in terms of input and calculating the route, the unit is horribly ugly with the Volvo-like Robocop "pop-up", that I'm sure will break-down and cost a ridiculous amount to fix when it does, no touch screen, blah, blah, blah. 90% of my time in the car is spent driving from home to work and vise versa...and I already know where both those places are!! Bottom line is I'll use my Garmin Nuvi 265W (which is a much better unit in terms of Nav function than the MB) that only cost me $150 the two times a year I actually need Navigation assistance and use the $4,500 to get a propper suspension set up which is what I think this car really needs.

Basically what I am saying is that everyone has their own set of specific wants and needs. You need to decide for yourself what is important to you.

My two cents. Probably about all it's worth too!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by 2010Tenorite350
Bottom line is I'll use my Garmin Nuvi 265W (which is a much better unit in terms of Nav function than the MB) that only cost me $150 the two times a year I actually need Navigation assistance and use the $4,500 to get a propper suspension set up which is what I think this car really needs.
I reached the same conclusion, and it's been a while since we last discussed this, but for under $10 on Amazon, this is extremely handy and works very well to mount the Garmin.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GN047-Re...0905137&sr=1-1
Old 04-10-2010, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Once you've had KEYLESS-GO in a Benz, you will never buy another car without it.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:20 PM

2013 E350
Sounds like you are making nice choices.

In regards to Keyless Go, I would definitely get it. It is a big convenience...even more so for women. Have you ever waited for a women to find her keys in her purse? It is really a crime that MBZ does not have this as a standard feature. Almost every other car, other than econo boxes, has it as standard these days. The only people I know who don'thave keyless are most MBZ owners. We almost did not buy a C class because it was hard to find one with Keyless go on it and we are use to having it as it has been on every other recent model car we have had. We did find one though, however it does not have dynamic handling pkg (which I would have preferred).

The Dynamic Handling is good if you like sport suspension type feel while driving your car. If that is important to you, it is a must. If you won't use it and just want a smooth ride, skip it.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:38 PM

None
Originally Posted by GMBZ
Sounds like you are making nice choices.

In regards to Keyless Go, I would definitely get it. It is a big convenience...even more so for women. Have you ever waited for a women to find her keys in her purse? It is really a crime that MBZ does not have this as a standard feature. Almost every other car, other than econo boxes, has it as standard these days. The only people I know who don'thave keyless are most MBZ owners. We almost did not buy a C class because it was hard to find one with Keyless go on it and we are use to having it as it has been on every other recent model car we have had. We did find one though, however it does not have dynamic handling pkg (which I would have preferred).

The Dynamic Handling is good if you like sport suspension type feel while driving your car. If that is important to you, it is a must. If you won't use it and just want a smooth ride, skip it.
Is the Keyless Go on the C class different from the older models in the sense that the older models have a button on the door handle to lock the door? The C class seems to use a square pad that you have to place your finger on for a second for it to lock, and not a button that you push for it to lock the door. Also do you have to hold the door handle for about a second before the car unlocks or can you just walk up to the car and pull the door handle immediately and unlock? Thanks!
Old 04-10-2010, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by aekara27

You get a better speed sensitive steering, electronically continuously variable suspension, paddle shifters, and 18" wheels with the dynamic handling package.

Keyless go is a must for a modern car for me. I will always use the key fob, but something about that push start making me feel like I'm in a cockpit...well push start and the easy entry feature.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:08 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Buttons buttons....

Originally Posted by mr inkredibul
Keyless go is a must for a modern car for me. I will always use the key fob, but something about that push start making me feel like I'm in a cockpit...well push start and the easy entry feature.
Neither of which are found in airplane cockpits.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by RLE
Neither of which are found in airplane cockpits.
I was referrng to the cockpit of a futuristic machine not a plane. Its the same effect I get from motorcycle type gauges in cars....I feel like I'm in the cockpit of my own advanced machine!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
Is the Keyless Go on the C class different from the older models in the sense that the older models have a button on the door handle to lock the door? The C class seems to use a square pad that you have to place your finger on for a second for it to lock, and not a button that you push for it to lock the door. Also do you have to hold the door handle for about a second before the car unlocks or can you just walk up to the car and pull the door handle immediately and unlock? Thanks!
I dont see the buttons on the door handle, but that black square on the driver's side is the sensor for the remote and I dont think has anything to do with keyless go as cars with just the smart key have that square there too. I dont know how the C class locks.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 PM

None
Originally Posted by joshg1001
I dont see the buttons on the door handle, but that black square on the driver's side is the sensor for the remote and I dont think has anything to do with keyless go as cars with just the smart key have that square there too. I dont know how the C class locks.
I have actually seen several 2010 C class with the Keyless Go and know how it looks like. They have this square thing on the door handle that is body color which does not appear to be a button, but rather a pad that looks like it is pushed in a little on the door handle. So I am not too sure how it locks the car. Maybe you just have to place your finger over the pad to lock the car?
Old 04-10-2010, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
15 E200CGI SPORT
I have actually seen several 2010 C class with the Keyless Go and know how it looks like. They have this square thing on the door handle that is body color which does not appear to be a button, but rather a pad that looks like it is pushed in a little on the door handle. So I am not too sure how it locks the car. Maybe you just have to place your finger over the pad to lock the car?
That should be how it works. At least that is how it works on a w212.