C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Increasing light output from taillights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 SPORT
Increasing light output from taillights?

Hello all, I recently swapped taillights with a friend to gain the led style taillights which are very nice. But he decided on painting the brake light lenses black, they do look great especially on a white car. But I’ve recently been getting the high beams from drivers in the back and even some telling me my tails are out. Although there working fine it seems there very very dim from the paint over the lenses. I know with a little sanding I can be able to remove the pain but it’s a pain, I want to know if I can get a larger wattage bulb instead to increase the amount of light, do you think it would melt anything if I do? and what size is the rear brake light bulbs? I need to do something fast before I see police car behind me instead. Thanks all!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Andystyle
Hello all, I recently swapped taillights with a friend to gain the led style taillights which are very nice. But he decided on painting the brake light lenses black, they do look great especially on a white car. But I’ve recently been getting the high beams from drivers in the back and even some telling me my tails are out. Although there working fine it seems there very very dim from the paint over the lenses. I know with a little sanding I can be able to remove the pain but it’s a pain, I want to know if I can get a larger wattage bulb instead to increase the amount of light, do you think it would melt anything if I do? and what size is the rear brake light bulbs? I need to do something fast before I see police car behind me instead. Thanks all!
lose the tinted taillights - you are just asking for trouble...
Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
It looks nice but dark painted tails are no good. If someone rear ends you your insurance won't be worth anything.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Painted lenses, a DUMB idea

Originally Posted by Andystyle
Lacquer thinner on a cloth? Forget sanding. There are no higher wattage bulbs available.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:12 AM

'10 W204 4matic
Drive around with the reverse fogs on???
Old 04-24-2010, 08:01 PM

08 w204
i used to have that same problem with my previous car, i had them painted through a body shop (clear coat and black mix) i then got rid of them and got a new pair and used the vht tint spray, never had an issue again.