C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

police dont like my tails

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
I got pulled over for the same thing a few nights ago (my lights are black in the rear). Same thing, when no headlights are shining on them they emit light, but with headlights directly behind you can't see them. The police officer commented that he could see the lights when I braked, just not when I was driving, and let me off with a warning.

My solution? Turn on the rear fog lights when you drive and it brightens it up enough that you can now see the lights without braking even at night with taillights directly on them. Hope that helps.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:35 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by scoonie089
this makes the most sense out of anything anyone on here has said....even during the day when the brakes are applied you can still see the light.....my ONLY problem is at night with a car directly on my a**. other than that its fine.
You've definitely refined the problem, but from your original post, you said this is the second time you've been pulled over and that you "had them tinted so dark that only a little light shines through", so you recevied some pretty harsh responses because of it. Even if people weren't right on your ****, it sounds like what light does come through would be considered too dim to most people (including you?), not just the police.

Solution space... since it's spray on tint, you might try using a more agressive/high-cut polish to gradually reduce the amt of tint. Will still allow you to keep the tinted tails, w/o sanding/scraping. Polish in small increments until you feel enough light is getting through at night and/or you no longer get police attention.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by QuadBenz

Whether you're "riding up someone's ***" or not, it's a hazard if you're not able to tell when they're braking.
I won't bother pointing out the obvious brake indication light in the center of the rear window. I have blacked out tail lights, but I also realize that you just need to mix colors to desaturate the red of the tail lens, you don't need to actually try to block any light at all.. so people who limo tint taillights are just retarded, but blacked out lenses aren't ipso facto a stupid, unsafe modification.. just when done wrong, as is just about any modification.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:48 AM

09' C300 4matic
everyone on here can call me an idiot and stupid and may think i have no common sense bla bla bla but im not taking the tints off the lights i know im just very stubbern....being that im not taking the tints off the taillights, has anyone tryed led lights in their tails before? if so please help me out as much as possible!....
Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 AM

09' C300 4matic
pm sent to MACGCU
Old 04-26-2010, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Hey, I've got a new trend for everyone who blacked out their taillamps to follow....just as worthy of a Darwin Award, too!

Get a razor blade and scrape down your seatbelts to make them matte instead of shiny....you know, like matte vinyl wrap.....make sure you scrape 'em hard......matte seatbelts...sooo cool, sick, dope..........whatever.
what a stupid idea. Everyone knows that the really cool people don't wear seatbelts at all. And they smoke cigarettes. LOTS of cigarettes. I think they've moved on from greaser ducktails and leather jackets (except maybe the West Coast hot rodders? If so, please exempt yourselves from this post ).

everyone on here can call me an idiot and stupid and may think i have no common sense bla bla bla but im not taking the tints off the lights i know im just very stubbern....being that im not taking the tints off the taillights, has anyone tryed led lights in their tails before? if so please help me out as much as possible!....
you've done a fine enough job demonstrating this already, but ok, you are an idiot and are stupid
Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
For those who may think the CHMSL (center high mounted stop lamp) is an adequate substitute for darkened taillamps, keep in mind the history of how it came to be required. NHTSA conducted research on a fleet of taxi cabs in NYC, and found that, in the presence of two already completely functional taillamps, adding the third light in the center at a higher position reduced rear end impacts. This was not a substitute....this was an addition. So, two existing brake lights did not perform as well as three, with one higher up and in the center. There is no reason to expect that just the CHMSL at normal strength and two reduced-output lights will provide the same level of signal detection for a driver following as an unaltered set of 3 lights.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
what a stupid idea. Everyone knows that the really cool people don't wear seatbelts at all. And they smoke cigarettes. LOTS of cigarettes. I think they've moved on from greaser ducktails and leather jackets (except maybe the West Coast hot rodders? If so, please exempt yourselves from this post ).

you've done a fine enough job demonstrating this already, but ok, you are an idiot and are stupid
LOL - in this case, I AM AMUSED!!

This kid is silly...it's amazing what people will do to save face
Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
It is possible to get brighter, higher wattage lights, but it could throw error messages, and/or melt your wires. The best solution is to buff or polish the spray on tint until it reverts back within the "safe" range, while still giving the tinted look.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Your "tints" = FAIL.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 4matic
Pep Boys and other automotive stores sell dark tinted tail light and headlight covers, but it clearly states they are for off-road use only. The tail lights are a major safety feature and the police has every right to ticket you. Depending on which state you live they may order you to go to court if you are a repeat offender, or even worse impound your vehicle if it is deemed unsafe to drive.

LED bulb will make things worse as it is not consistantly brighter and will not properly utilize the reflector in the tail light housing -- I have tried it before and was disappointed with over all light output and at certain angles you barely see the light.

Trust me it is not worth it to keep your black tail lights. You are risking your safety and to innocent drivers behind you, you will be constantly harrassed by the police and getting costly tickets, and frankly they don't look very good either.

I think a light tint is better looking and saves a lot of hassles.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Cool

The only tail lights that are worth discussion are those in a cabaret show. If we take illegal acts as from who does them, then why bother fighting when there is no cure since lobotomies were forbidden without ostentatious signs of dementia by the patient.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:36 PM

09' C300 4matic
Originally Posted by JoeVal
The only tail lights that are worth discussion are those in a cabaret show. If we take illegal acts as from who does them, then why bother fighting when there is no cure since lobotomies were forbidden without ostentatious signs of dementia by the patient.
what are you talking about man
Old 04-26-2010, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
what are you talking about man
+1

is there a full moon tonight or something?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
As others have said...get yours tinted lighter.

I had a window tinting shop tint my tail lights with that laminex vinyl tint. Not completely black...more like a cherry red. Looks good (IMHO) but still allows plenty of light to shine through...
Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by WWMIndy
+1

is there a full moon tonight or something?

Was just out for a while.....bingo! Full Moon!!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:22 AM

Very FAST!

Originally Posted by i_am_amused
Clearly he thought only about himself and how cool he wanted his car to look.

I bet he has a Type-R badge on there, too. Blacked out, of course.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:27 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Black lights

Originally Posted by Peabody
I won't bother pointing out the obvious brake indication light in the center of the rear window. I have blacked out tail lights, but I also realize that you just need to mix colors to desaturate the red of the tail lens, you don't need to actually try to block any light at all.. so people who limo tint taillights are just retarded, but blacked out lenses aren't ipso facto a stupid, unsafe modification.. just when done wrong, as is just about any modification.
What does TUV have to say about your taillights?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:03 AM

C300, 330i, MDX
Dont' hold me to this co'z no promises; but I can probably help you... What is your license plate number? I know a few LEO in NJ and I can ask them not to harrass you anymore since you already agreed that we can call you an idiot and stupid...
Old 04-28-2010, 11:14 PM

09' C300 4matic
Originally Posted by jog_c300
Dont' hold me to this co'z no promises; but I can probably help you... What is your license plate number? I know a few LEO in NJ and I can ask them not to harrass you anymore since you already agreed that we can call you an idiot and stupid...
i have just about any connect i could ever need in NJ, hense why i havent gotten ticketed for the tints yet...but hey thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 02:36 AM

2014 E 550 Cabriolet. Black exterior with red interior, 2009 C 350. 2013 Toyota highlander.
Man, having a merc is about feeling good. If you feel the tint is fine and enough light is there for others to see then have fun and forget about what everyone else is saying. You dont have to justify yourself here. I am amazed you wrote back to so many comments here.

Since u r getting a ticket, i think u do have a bit more darker tint. Again, remove it, if you want. or dont if you can continue paying the tickets.

Have fun driving and drive safe. Sometimes even the best of lighting conditions dont stop a rear ended collision.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:51 AM

\
Originally Posted by RLE
What does TUV have to say about your taillights?
No clue, since it's exempt from inspection until June but is being exported in May.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
i have just about any connect i could ever need in NJ, hense why i havent gotten ticketed for the tints yet...but hey thanks
I really wanted to stay away from stereotyping as I don't know anything about you, but...you sound like a fairly young, chronically spoiled, little brat. You seem to have a “rules don't apply to me” attitude and think even if they do, you have connections to place you above everyone else. Like I said, I don't know you and am not accusing you of anything but that is simply how you come across from your posts.

Originally Posted by MURTAZAC350
You dont have to justify yourself here. I am amazed you wrote back to so many comments here.

Since u r getting a ticket, i think u do have a bit more darker tint. Again, remove it, if you want. or dont if you can continue paying the tickets.

Have fun driving and drive safe. Sometimes even the best of lighting conditions dont stop a rear ended collision.
He started this thread knowing that he would get many opinions...many of them differing to his.
Simply continuing to pay the tickets doesn’t address the issue of liability and potentially fatal consequences. Doing something illegal, especially after having been ticketed for it, and then having a catastrophic accident (that Scoonie may walk away from unscratched) could ruin his life...not too mention ruin or end someone else’s. Actually any type of accident may set him up for some very substantial liability. Don’t forget this is America, the most litigious society in history.
We all know accidents happen even with the best vehicle lighting and safety systems, but the laws are there to insure a minimum safety level and that is one thing we shouldn’t mod for the worse.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by MURTAZAC350
Man, having a merc is about feeling good. If you feel the tint is fine and enough light is there for others to see then have fun and forget about what everyone else is saying. You dont have to justify yourself here. I am amazed you wrote back to so many comments here.

excellent example of an idiot standing on a soapbox for all to see. It is impossible for him to "drive safe" in an unsafe car, a fact grasped by all but the most fundamentally challenged...

let's hope it's not your mother/sister/brother/father/friend that rams their car up the OP's bad tail tint
Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
C300 Sport and I Am Amused.........

Well Said!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: police dont like my tails