C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is a Loose Gas Pedal Normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300S 6mt
Question Is a Loose Gas Pedal Normal?

While cleaning my car I noticed that the gas pedal was loose. It's not completely bolted down and clamped down on the floor -- i.e., it could be lifted off the floor a few millimeters. There's 2 bolts that hold it down, and at first, I thought they were just loose. But attempts that tightening it proved futile.

I've not once had an issue with the pedal, and have never felt it as being loose when throttling. In fact, it feels completely normal. So I'm beginning to think that perhaps the pedal was designed to be loose?

Would someone mind checking their pedal to see it's loose please?

Last edited by kaku; 04-26-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
First rule of Mechanics: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
Originally Posted by JoeVal
First rule of Mechanics: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
But it wouldn't be a bad idea to go have the dealer check it out either

If everything's been fine, I'd say it's probably a minor irk, but just in case, I'd go to the dealer to have em take a look-see. If the pedal is loose and possibly flapping around back and forth, that could be deeply deeply bad. Like, Runaway Toyota bad. I definitely wouldn't call it normal. My pedal is rock steady and rebounds back as soon as I lift my foot off. And pressing it down requires an equal amount of effort throughout as well.

If it's the base that is wobbly, it's likely that a bolt or two is loose that is holding it in place. In that case, I'd just take it to the dealer. I'm sure they'd fix a measly problem like that for you in a jiffy.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by kaku
While cleaning my car I noticed that the gas pedal was loose. It's not completely bolted down and clamped down on the floor -- i.e., it could be lifted off the floor a few millimeters. There's 2 bolts that hold it down, and at first, I thought they were just loose. But attempts that tightening it proved futile.

I've not once had an issue with the pedal, and have never felt it as being loose when throttling. In fact, it feels completely normal. So I'm beginning to think that perhaps the pedal was designed to be loose?

Would someone mind checking their pedal to see it's loose please?
Mine isn't loose. Since you already tried tightening the 2 bolts then it must be something else.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
It is a safety issue. Have it checked immediately before the unexpected happens.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300S 6mt
Just to clarify, the pedal doesn't wobble at all. Nor, does it slip/slides back and forth. It actually feels pretty solid when it's situated against the floor. Even the feedback/reaction of the pedal feels normal. It's only loose in that I can pull and lift the base of the pedal off the floor a few millimeters.

Anyhow, just to be safe I'm going to take it in to have it checked out. Thanks for all the feedback guys! =)