C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Need some help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Niti24

Need some help!

I am looking to change my license plates from New York to Connecticut plates. I have a house there. The reason i want to change it is because I get harassed by cops here In NYC because of my tints. I have heard that a cop cannot give you a ticket for tints if you are registered out of state. i don't know how true that is, so, if anyone knows, let me know. I know the legal limit is 35% in Connecticut which isn't bad but I would like darker.

Another thing I am unsure about is whether or not I need a license plate in the front in Connecticut or not. I will be driving in the city daily so I don't want to get a ticket every other day. Do I need to have a front license plate if I drive in NY or do I not need it if Im front out of state?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
I think thats BS. They will bother you no matter what your plates are.

I have friends with Jersey plates, and Ive seen them get tickets for Tints.

Also regarding front plate, if lets say you have a florida license plate they only give you one plate so how can you get a ticket if they only gave you one?
Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
NYS law states (not word for word, but summed up) that all motor vehicles being operated within the state of New York must abide by NYS traffic law.

So it is possible to get a ticket for tints and not having a front license plate (even if your registered out of state). However, the likelihood of this is minimal at best. And even if you did get a ticket for it, if you brought it to court it would most probably get dropped.

If you didn't want to switch registration to Connecticut, just have the front plate in the bracket in your trunk and bash up the bracket. Then if you get pulled over say that you found it on the floor in the parking lot and are going to get it fixed. Then just tape it on and mail a picture to NYS DMV, done it twice with success...
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
I think you would get harrassed more since you would be an "out of stater".. You would stand out
Old 05-18-2010, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Also forgot to mention, if God forbid you get pulled for speeding the cops may also want to add salt to the wound by tacking on tickets for tints and missing front plate.

Gotta love NY
Old 05-18-2010, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
i have CT plates and drive in NJ/NY for the past 10 years as I live here.

On my last 4 cars Ive had no front plate and tints - never once have I been pulled over. One cop tried pulling me over in NJ for front plate, saw my CT inspection on the windshield and pointed me one my way (they were pulling people over in groups from the front)

But think about this rationally...you really think a cop will give u a ticket if you have a CT plate and license and tell him you are just driving through to get to NJ or just visiting? Not a chance.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Niti24

I feel like they wont look to give you a ticket for tints if you have Conn/ Jersey plates. There are times that I am stuck in traffic, a cop walking will come and tell me to pull over on the side, slap me a ticket, and put me back in traffic. Thats what I don't want. I don't speed much. If I speed, its usually 20 over the limit, so there will be many tickets added on.