C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Black Sooty Diesel Bumper Solved.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Black Sooty Diesel Bumper Solved.

I have sorted out the exhaust soot deposit on my rear bumper by simply loosening one screw & extending the tip about 1 1/2" to the extremity of the slot.

To protect the tip from damage when rear parking I have left the clamping screw loose & applied heat resistant grease (Loctite) to the tip so it will slide in if the kerb is hit. The screw will not fall out as I have used thread lock fluid & a retaining wire.

I have run the car like this for a month now & thankfully do not have a black rear end.

PS.1. The engine does not have a particulate filter.

2. I am a conservative driver.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Puttering around

Originally Posted by Carsy
I have run the car like this for a month now & thankfully do not have a black rear end.

PS.1. The engine does not have a particulate filter.

2. I am a conservative driver.
Driving diesels slowly results in carbon buildup and loss of performance over time. The engine needs some high rpm full throttle driving to keep it cleaned out.

Such as a long upgrade in a lower gear and full throttle. From time to time.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE
Driving diesels slowly results in carbon buildup and loss of performance over time. The engine needs some high rpm full throttle driving to keep it cleaned out.

Such as a long upgrade in a lower gear and full throttle. From time to time.
Highway driving at 115 km an hour does the job well enough.

I don't believe lower gears & full throttle has any beneficial effect on diesel engine performance.

My previous diesel car driven for 16 years & 300,000 km is still running as sweetly & efficiently as ever without that treatment.

I think what you are saying is diesel engines will glaze the bore & soot up if they are run for long periods at light load. I don't consider 115 km highway driving as a light load.

Thanks RLE, as always for your input,
Old 05-17-2010, 11:10 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Carbon

Originally Posted by Carsy
Highway driving at 115 km an hour does the job well enough.

I don't believe lower gears & full throttle has any beneficial effect on diesel engine performance.

My previous diesel car driven for 16 years & 300,000 km is still running as sweetly & efficiently as ever without that treatment.

I think what you are saying is diesel engines will glaze the bore & soot up if they are run for long periods at light load. I don't consider 115 km highway driving as a light load.

Thanks RLE, as always for your input,
The subject was carbon buildup due to slow running around town. Glazing the bore was not mentioned.

The problem of carbon buildup happens in the older MB diesels. This has been discussed at great length on the other MB lists where the main goal seems to be keeping the old bangers running. Specifically, W123, W201, W124, W126, W210 and even W211 prior to Bluetec. Many of the posters on those lists are shop owners (doesn't make one an expert, admittedly) and the concept of the "Italian Tuneup" is widely recommended, namely a long run at high speed or a long full throttle climb upgrade. These engines always benefit from blowing the carbon buildup out the tailpipe and working them a bit does no harm.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE
The subject was carbon buildup due to slow running around town. Glazing the bore was not mentioned.

The problem of carbon buildup happens in the older MB diesels. This has been discussed at great length on the other MB lists where the main goal seems to be keeping the old bangers running. Specifically, W123, W201, W124, W126, W210 and even W211 prior to Bluetec. Many of the posters on those lists are shop owners (doesn't make one an expert, admittedly) and the concept of the "Italian Tuneup" is widely recommended, namely a long run at high speed or a long full throttle climb upgrade. These engines always benefit from blowing the carbon buildup out the tailpipe and working them a bit does no harm.
We are saying the same thing but you are being a little more extreme
I would expect no more from a Porsche driver