C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2008 C Class - Does the Transmission Update at Dealer Improve It?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
2008 C Class - Does the Transmission Update at Dealer Improve It?

Back when the 2008 C Classes had come out, there was a lot of discussion about the transmission.

People felt the transmission was even slower than normal to downshift, when the accelerator was applied.

Several people had a transmission flash/update done at the dealers.

Is this still being done and did you notice an improvement?

My 2008 car has not had it done, but I always notice the loaner cars seem more responsive. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
aty

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 GLC 43
Transmission update

I had my dealer do this and they did an update on the ECU also and I really felt the difference. You might want to have your dealer check your car if it needs an update. Or you might want to try this first:

Throttle Body Adjustment. They say this works on all drive by wire vehicles and resets parameters WITHOUT Having to disconnect battery!

The Throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts to your particular driving
style. Do a TBA Throttle body adaptation.

Depending on your driving style, this may or may not be a big factor. I do a lot of city driving so
I noticed a big change after erasing my history. It is not hard to do this, just follow the instructions

As you drive your vehicle (mines an auto) it slowly adapts to your driving style. ie. City traffic, slow driving throttle becomes less sensitive, gear changes sort of slower. When you half press the throttle it just doesnt seem to get up and go like it used too. Floored throttle operating kickdown button still gives full power but it feels like a slug otherwise. Many have written about it on here in the past.
Removing battery for about 20 mins allows the computer to reset to its original settings. This gives that nice torqy feeling when you leave the lights at half throttle that was what made you smile upon purchasing vehicle.

The procedure I posted is supposed to do the same thing without removing battery, having to wait so long and loosing radio codes etc.

Key on, pedal down, 5 sec, key off pedal up, wait 2
minutes. The key should be in the ignition the whole time

Al

Originally Posted by mac911
Back when the 2008 C Classes had come out, there was a lot of discussion about the transmission.

People felt the transmission was even slower than normal to downshift, when the accelerator was applied.

Several people had a transmission flash/update done at the dealers.

Is this still being done and did you notice an improvement?

My 2008 car has not had it done, but I always notice the loaner cars seem more responsive. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 Sport LOADED
update it next time when you are servicing your w204. Ask for it and tell them to update transmition and any other softwares for the car.
You will feel the difference. Better response, IMO.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
I had the update performed on my car the 2nd day I had my car. To be honest with you, it helps but it isn't going to eliminate the reverse to drive lag. Instead of a 3 second lag, I now have a 1 second lag.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Yes a diff

Keep in mind myne has suspention option, which will have influence.

1st Service with upgrade.
1-I noticed no difference in reverse lag.

2-In comfort mode it was fast and jerky compared to before, so I reset the C-Mode operation, remember trick in 1st 2 gears after 1st pull away, after which it was super smooth and stil is.

3-I like the S-Mode now. It remember it was fast and so I like it in this mode.If I floor it in S-Mode on pullaway I can hear the rear tyres schreech with closed windows.

I may be wrong but it feels in C-Mode it is holding on longer before downchanging than before.So I like the DR J & H feeling between modes now.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Don't forget that the first series of transmission shifts after starting the car, the car is resetting, so you may get a harder 1-2 shift but after that it'll settle down.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
Just drive the crap out of it / flooring it off the line in S mode for couple days and it will improve dramatically.

I drive like this nearly all the time and my car snaps on up and down shifts. Even while going and flooring it shifts down near instantly.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 AM

2008 C300 Luxury 4Matic
Cost of update

Hey,
I'm new to the forum as well as new to MB ownership. Just bought an '08 C300 Sport 4 matic w/18K+ miles. I've got about 1 yr left on factory warranty. Love it but it does seem a bit sluggish at times. Is the trans update covered under warranty or is there a fee for it?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Porter

Have you tried what's suggested in post number 2?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4Matic
Going to try it when I get home from work.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PorterFNU
Going to try it when I get home from work.
Portner - I've done the reset many times, and I have done the drive like mad technique too.

The car still doesn't match the loaner cars I get.

I really think like me, you should get the update if you can.

Yes, it should be covered.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:01 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4Matic
Cool. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I finally had the transmission software updated on my 08 while at service.

The service didn't go great, but the transmission update did!

The power comes on much quicker when you start to press the throttle now. There isn't that long lag and jerk. Furthermore, it just feels better to me while it's accelerating too, smoother and more responsive.

A really nice update. Made the car feel like a different car.

I just told them it is slower to change gears than other Mercedes I've driven and that is is slow to go in and out of Reverse sometimes, and i heard this could be software.

If you have an 09 or later, or maybe even an 08, don't worry about your car. One reason I knew my car needed this is the loaners always felt so much better. People blame that on people putting the foot down more on loaners, but it was too big to be that. The lag on my car was quite bad.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:07 PM

2008 C350
3-I like the S-Mode now. It remember it was fast and so I like it in this mode.If I floor it in S-Mode on pullaway I can hear the rear tyres schreech with closed windows.

Really? it schreechesss? hmm.. either you have bald tires on or tires that don't have good traction? i got a c350 and inorder for me to get my tires to break the ground when flooring is to power brake at beginning..
Old 11-17-2010, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ginkgo

Really? it schreechesss? hmm.. either you have bald tires on or tires that don't have good traction? i got a c350 and inorder for me to get my tires to break the ground when flooring is to power brake at beginning..
Yeah, mine does too.

Probably depends on the road conditions. A really good, smooth road, probably don't have much screech. I just can't find such a road in North America! ha.