C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My fears confirmed today-my "clean Carfax" C350 has had bodywork...legal rights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
got the official estimate today and awaiting dealer's response. $2900...
Old 06-23-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by MBnewby
The initial response has been good, see email from salesman (names have been changed). I'm hoping to have something in writing this week but it sounds like they're going to help me out in some way or another.

"MB Newby, I spoke with my GSM and he was as surprised as you were. When we buy and sell a car with a clean car fax we are under no obligation to do anything other than what transpired when you purchased your C350. Bob is friends with the owners of Body Shop and they do a ton of work for our customers. He is out of town the first of this week but upon his return he will call Body Shop to get a better deal for you on the work required and he told me he would participate monetarily to help you out. This is not required on his or Mercedes Benz of Kansas City’s part, but as a Mercedes Dealer I believe it is Bob's intent to do his best to make you as a valued customer happy. Thanks, Tom"
If they follow through with that then I would say they should have a customer for life. they obviously are trying to make it right for you.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by 2nice4me
If they follow through with that then I would say they should have a customer for life. they obviously are trying to make it right for you.
They have been great so far and yes I plan to be their customer for a very long time. Every experience with them has been great from sales, service, and now this ordeal. They are a class act and I don't believe they knew that the car was damaged when they sold it to me. I'm anxiously awaiting their reply to the estimate to see how they can help out with repairs. A service loaner and 50% of the repair bill would be nice but I may be expecting too much.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C240
Ummm if you have it repaired again wont it show up on your carfax now for sure?
Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by John408
Ummm if you have it repaired again wont it show up on your carfax now for sure?
It shouldn't since insurance will not be involved at all.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
So its the insurance company that reports damages to carfax? I thought it was the bodyshops.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:57 AM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Originally Posted by JimPap
So its the insurance company that reports damages to carfax? I thought it was the bodyshops.

Car fax gets the majority of their information directly from the states, accident reports, salvage. theft, etc. Insurance reports most info to the states. No one reports to CarFax. CarFax searches the info through serial numbers reported
Old 07-06-2010, 11:31 PM

2008 C350 Sport
UPDATE: My cost for all repairs is $1200 and the dealer is covering the rest. I could not be happier since the total repair estimate is $2900. The dealership gets a discount from the body shop but they are contributing to the cost of the repairs. I could not be happier with MB of KC's response and I will be a lifelong customer after this ordeal. My car will be in the shop starting next Monday and the work could take two weeks...hoping for a MB loaner but I haven't heard if the dealership is going to help me with that yet. I might have to drive a POS econobox rental for a couple weeks but it will all be worth it when my car is finally fixed the right way this time. It has all worked out in the end but I've certainly learned my lesson on pre-owned cars, which is take it to a body shop before you buy it to check for past damage...since Carfax is worthless!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

BBS LM's 18's + Kics
wow, subscribed, i hate dealers with no ethics
Old 07-07-2010, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting
wow, subscribed, i hate dealers with no ethics
Haha, not saying anything directly, but man, read these threads through! Actually that was pretty direct. I know you're on a tight schedule since you're an active member/reputable sponsor of several different forums such as E90post, but he JUST posted that he resolved the problem with the dealer and is getting it fixed. Also, as others have posted, if the previous owner gets into an accident and does not report the incident, carfax is not involved, and even the dealership would be oblivious to any such previous history unless the body of the car itself had been carefully examined by their staff. I think that his dealership was QUITE ethical in that they did what they can, and (considering most dealers these days wouldn't even give an awkward glance at people with situations like this in this economy) exceeded many of our expectations.

Take what I say for a grain of salt. I know showing an active role in a community promotes interest in your business. But if that active role slowly seems to be nothing more than a sentence or so of barely relevant content, it starts to become nothing more than fluff. I did not wish to offend, but my somewhat quasi-OCD/Forum-**** personality (being a former mod) just had to say something. I hope business goes well for you e-92 and I hope you put more thought and PASSION into your posts. Also, I apologize to the OP of this thread for going off the topic there.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

BBS LM's 18's + Kics
no offense taken, i am on about 7 forums now, so its almost impossible to read every post... hope you understand if i were to read every post word for word, there would be no time for mbworld at all, let alone every other forum

back to topic, i hate dishonest dealers, but in this case, the carfax was fine, but ethically lacking. whether its the salesman fault or the dealerships, this is very bad business and i will never go this low as a vendor
Old 07-07-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
UPDATE: My cost for all repairs is $1200 and the dealer is covering the rest. I could not be happier since the total repair estimate is $2900. The dealership gets a discount from the body shop but they are contributing to the cost of the repairs. I could not be happier with MB of KC's response and I will be a lifelong customer after this ordeal. My car will be in the shop starting next Monday and the work could take two weeks...hoping for a MB loaner but I haven't heard if the dealership is going to help me with that yet. I might have to drive a POS econobox rental for a couple weeks but it will all be worth it when my car is finally fixed the right way this time. It has all worked out in the end but I've certainly learned my lesson on pre-owned cars, which is take it to a body shop before you buy it to check for past damage...since Carfax is worthless!
Congrats! What is all the work that they will be doing for the $2900?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350

That's great news, I'm truly glad that your dealer came through for you on this one. Sounds like you'll be whole again soon. Congrats!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by Krytech
That's great news, I'm truly glad that your dealer came through for you on this one. Sounds like you'll be whole again soon. Congrats!
Thanks man, it will be a big relief when the car is done and I won't feel like I'm driving around a Benz with shotty body work. The shop I'm using is the best around. I'm really hoping that it doesn't take two weeks to repair which is a possibility...but it will be worth it.

I take her in on Monday and pick up my rental.."Pontiac G6 or similar" from Avis, joy!

In response to an earlier comment, the estimate is $2900 because they are basically repainting and blending half of my car. The main damage was on the driver's door but they (previous owner) repainted that whole side of the car and the clear coat was terrible. It should be as close to factory as possible when they're done. This shop has some special MB certification and work is gauranteed for years
Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Well she went into the shop this morning...and I miss her already. I think a lot of that is due to the fact that my rental is a brand new Hyundai Elantra...sweet ride. Don't get me wrong it's not a terrible car but it is horribly ugly and feels a lot like a toy car compared to the Benz. Loads of plastic, weird design, and not a whole lot of power. The steering wheel is not telescopic and I cannot find a good driving position...it's going to be a long two weeks but it will be worth it! Driving a cheapy sure makes me appreciate MB quality a lot more! And driving a Benz has probably ruined me for most other car brands, ha ha. Wifey is in the market for a new ride this fall and we're looking at the new VW Toaureg, looks like it might be German cars from here on out
Old 07-12-2010, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
I know how you feel. My car was brought back to the dealer after two days because the day I bought it, I pointed out a scratch on the car, which they offered to remove, but ended up repainting it cuz it was rather deep. Anyways. Instead of giving me the usual W203 loaner, they ended up giving me a Kia Rondo...... It was an interesting experience for sure. :/ You'd expect them to give you a mercedes loaner at the very least. But hey, apparently times are tough. The Touareg's pretty nice. Depending on your budget I'd recommend looking at the Infiniti FX as well. (unless you're truly sticking to the all german thing) Quite comfortable. Great amount of power. Also the Infiniti dealerships around here all give out new 2010 G37's as loaners :P
Old 07-22-2010, 03:54 PM

2008 C350 Sport
SHE'S BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!

Update: After nearly two weeks without my C350...two miserable weeks in a Hyundai Elantra I got her back today and it feels like a new car!!! Basically the whole driver's side was stripped down to the primer and repainted. The blending is perfect and they fixed my scraped bumper No more runs in the paint or chipping clearcoat, all molding was replaced with brand new parts, car was fully detailed and waxed, and they even cleaned my wheels which have never been cleaner! The car looks better than when I took delivery from the dealership.

Ok so time for a plug, if anyone in the KC area or anywhere in the Midwest needs auto body repair go to Eveland Bros. in Merriam, KS. Wow, they are the best in the area and have some MB certification that very few shops around here, if any, have. My car was sitting there shiny and perfect waiting for me right next to a Maeserati and two AMG MBs, all cars that cost three times what mine did, ha ha. They work on mostly high end cars and have a great reputation in the area.

Also a plug for MB of KC who did the right thing and helped me get the car that I thought I bought in the first place. It's nice that a company actually did the right thing even though they had no legal obligation to do so, which is a rarity now days. Case closed!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:18 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Glad to hear you're satisfied with the outcome.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Update: After nearly two weeks without my C350...two miserable weeks in a Hyundai Elantra I got her back today and it feels like a new car!!! Basically the whole driver's side was stripped down to the primer and repainted. The blending is perfect and they fixed my scraped bumper No more runs in the paint or chipping clearcoat, all molding was replaced with brand new parts, car was fully detailed and waxed, and they even cleaned my wheels which have never been cleaner! The car looks better than when I took delivery from the dealership.

Ok so time for a plug, if anyone in the KC area or anywhere in the Midwest needs auto body repair go to Eveland Bros. in Merriam, KS. Wow, they are the best in the area and have some MB certification that very few shops around here, if any, have. My car was sitting there shiny and perfect waiting for me right next to a Maeserati and two AMG MBs, all cars that cost three times what mine did, ha ha. They work on mostly high end cars and have a great reputation in the area.

Also a plug for MB of KC who did the right thing and helped me get the car that I thought I bought in the first place. It's nice that a company actually did the right thing even though they had no legal obligation to do so, which is a rarity now days. Case closed!
Congrats, nice work getting everything sorted properly!