C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Your Factory Warranty w/ Aftermarket Parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 4MATIC (w204)
Your Factory Warranty w/ Aftermarket Parts

Hey Everyone!

After reading several threads and seeing people express their worries over voiding their vehicle warranty, I thought I’d take a moment to go over the Magnuson-Moss Warranty FTC Improvement Act of 1975. I don’t profess to be an expert on this subject and I know others will also have some good in site on this matter too.

Under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, a car dealer or manufacturer cannot void your warranty solely on the reason that your vehicle has been modified with an aftermarket performance product. They must first provide evidence that the failure was a DIRECT result of the installation of the aftermarket product. The burden of providing this evidence is on the warrantor. It is strictly illegal for the dealer or manufacturer to refuse any warranty claim by just stating your vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket performance product without attempting to determine/demonstrate whether or not the product actually caused the failure.

Even though the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is there to protect us, sometimes we find that the dealers give us a hard time anyways. So what can you do if they refuse your warranty claim without determining whether or not the product you installed was at fault? First I would make sure they understand that you understand your rights by stating or handing them a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. If they are still not compliant, you can actually contact the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair practices. You can call 1-877-FTC-HELP and file a complaint.

Through my experience, I find that most dealerships these days are actually are very good about warranty claims. My guess is that the dealerships see a certain level of warranty works as actually good for their service departments. My advice to everyone would be to just keep a healthy relationship with your service advisor and dealership so if a problem does occur it can hopefully be resolved painlessly.

Anyways hope this helps,

TheDarkSide
Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Thanks for the info...I have always found that kicking and screaming while laying on the floor in front of the SA's desk to be effective but rough on the clothes...will give this a try if ever needed...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Thanks for the info...I have always found that kicking and screaming while laying on the floor in front of the SA's desk to be effective but rough on the clothes...will give this a try if ever needed...
Funny ........... I've always tried short skirts and open toed high heels but if need be I'll keep the kicking and screaming tactic in mind

Thanks for the FYI Darkside !!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 C300S 4M
Great points... knowledge sets you free.

I would definitely do this if not armed with any other administrative remedy. I return with my own contract when they refuse service and ask them to sign it, they refuse and get to work.

Be creative, not argumentative! Great post, hope it works, or spurs other imaginative actions by others.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by omgitselaine
I've always tried short skirts and open toed high heels
That's my method too
Visualize that!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 4MATIC (w204)
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak