C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Retrofit Rear Sunshade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Retrofit Rear Sunshade?

I am in the process of retrofitting the comand into my non-p2, non-comand audio 20 c-class. I see on ebay that I can get some used NTG4 comand systems used that are europe spec, for VERY cheap.

Firstly, would there be any problems using the europe comand besides for not having us maps and only having europe maps?

And more importantly, pertaining to the thread creation. I see that the new comand head unit buttons include the button for the power rear sunshade. So now I am thinking, go big, or go home. I don't want a non-functional button... Any idea if it is possible to retrofit the power rear sunshade, and how much it would cost? I am planning on doing all the installation myself, I am pretty capable, but I don't want to do anything that is too extreme and won't be removable (if I decide not to purchase and return the lease).

Im sure Vic-Viper knows the answer... That man is a GOD!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:39 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
More buyer's remorse

Originally Posted by jctevere
I am in the process of retrofitting the comand into my non-p2, non-comand audio 20 c-class. I see on ebay that I can get some used NTG4 comand systems used that are europe spec, for VERY cheap.

Firstly, would there be any problems using the europe comand besides for not having us maps and only having europe maps?

And more importantly, pertaining to the thread creation. I see that the new comand head unit buttons include the button for the power rear sunshade. So now I am thinking, go big, or go home. I don't want a non-functional button... Any idea if it is possible to retrofit the power rear sunshade, and how much it would cost? I am planning on doing all the installation myself, I am pretty capable, but I don't want to do anything that is too extreme and won't be removable (if I decide not to purchase and return the lease).

You need to look at a car with the shade including in the trunk. This looks very expensive and not easy. It's likely that the shade motor is connected to the CAN bus and not just two wires front to back.

I use my shade all the time.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by jctevere

If the Comand unit has the switch panel included, you would not get heated seats, rear window shade or the dynamic suspension even if the buttons were there (I know you did not expect this).

The rear shelf is a different part for cars with a rear window shade. Subscribe to EPC and see which parts are specific to that option and you can see how many new parts you would need (plus programming to make it work).

The Euro Comand must have some different buttons from the US model. Actually owners have figured out how to swap between Euro and US maps and you could make your navigation feature working (I would not even consider a foreign head unit if this was not possible). I assume radio station raster issues and such are easy with a proper country code change.