C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Heavy modifications on C200K (W204) Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K W204
Heavy modifications on C200K (W204) Any thoughts?

Hey guys,

I'm really interested in heavily modifying my 2008 C200K (M271 engine) to 500 bhp (Kleemann only offers 230 bhp with its K2 kit, and I'm not really pleased with that figure). The heavy mods include a stroker kit (2.0L), strengthening the internals, possibly twin turbos, etc. but I'm really open to any ideas as long as it hits the 500bhp margin. I'm also thinking of having the tranny software looked at, because everytime I try to upshift near the redline (6200rpm), it upshifts twice into 3rd gear from 1st. MB Malaysia says its some sort of timing issue that they can't solve, so any improvements/thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated. I wont' get into the cosmetic issues in detail but I would really like to have the C63 AMG's sports seat and steering wheel fitted into the car and work my way from there on.

I currently drive the car in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia but I'm good with shipping the car to Australia or even driving it to Singapore should the parts be available there. I would really appreciate it if anyone could lead me in the right direction. Thank you very much.

P.S. Would it be better (i.e more possible to hit the 500 bhp mark) to trade in the C200K for the C250 CGI and then modify the car?

Best regards,
Ghostbusters
Old 07-17-2010, 01:20 PM

1999 Coupé Fiat 1.8 16v
The best thing you can do, is get yourself a C63. Then you have the reliability, looks and the sound. Then get a tuning kit, and it'll cost you probably less money, then tuning a C200K.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:57 PM

08 c350
+1
Old 07-17-2010, 02:03 PM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
oh lord
ur best bet is c63 engine and drive train and subframe with LSD, but before u go there, make sure u know y u want 500bhp for, it's a merc, not an evo,
u said u want 500bhp and still keeping displacement at 2.0L, MB engine is probably not ur choice to modify, it probably makes more sense if u use another engine, or.. just change the car, im not sure theres any modification company other than kleeman would be bothered with that engine to go and produce stroker kits, u probably need to fork out more money to custom fabricate all those parts, let along twin turbo application is probably very difficult, u will need to custom fit ur manifold and ur displacement will probably find it hard to push those 2 turbos and ull end up with nothing but lag, mind u also the footworks and brakes.
that 5 speed, just chuck those into the sea and get the 7 speed with AMG settings while u r at it
so if u want to keep ur body shape, just go for amg unit, ull probably settle everything with less than RM100k (i think)
damn... y did i even take this srsly..

PS: no, 250 CGI and 200CGI's engines r the same as ur current 1.8 one, but with turbos so they produce slightly higher output than ur supercharger, MB replaced them is to save fuel, reliability, and to get rid of the whiney sound of the supercharger belt, then last is to go fast.

AMG Powerrr
He said he lives in Malaysia, it means his c200k already cost more than a c63 in the states, genuine c63 will most likely be around the 200,000 USD mark in Malaysia, thats probably y he didn't get a c63 in the first place, therefore he is thinking the modification way.

Last edited by zankok; 07-17-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:39 PM

C200K W204
#$%@ING TAXES!

Thanks for the ideas guys! Just a couple of issues:

1) Just as Zankok said, I live in Malaysia, so the C200K costed RM328,000, which is roughly USD100,000++. The C63AMG would be roughly RM1mil, so yea, it's gonna be pretty expensive, let alone paying RM30,000 for road tax every year Precisely right on Zankok's part on me modifying the C200K over getting a C63 AMG. Bloody taxes...

2) Why do I want 500bhp from a 2.0L engine? I'm not sure to be honest Just hooked on the speed of a supercharged car. Funnily enough Zankok, a mate of mine did suggest the same thing, but then I'd be driving an evo and it doesn't have the things that I love about a merc; style, build quality and reliability. If you're suggesting an engine change, how does a SR20DETT from a Nissan Silvia sound? 500 bhp from that engine is relatively easy to obtain, but I'm slightly worried with engine transplants, thus I'm really keen only on ripping my engine apart and putting better parts in it if it makes sense?

3) For argument sake, let's say 500bhp is impossible on the M271 engine, what's the highest it can take with heavy mods? (230bhp is the max without modding the drivetrain, etc)

P.S Thanks so much for the effort Zankok. I'll look into your advice!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 PM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
Originally Posted by ghostbusters
Thanks for the ideas guys! Just a couple of issues:

1) Just as Zankok said, I live in Malaysia, so the C200K costed RM328,000, which is roughly USD100,000++. The C63AMG would be roughly RM1mil, so yea, it's gonna be pretty expensive, let alone paying RM30,000 for road tax every year Precisely right on Zankok's part on me modifying the C200K over getting a C63 AMG. Bloody taxes...

2) Why do I want 500bhp from a 2.0L engine? I'm not sure to be honest Just hooked on the speed of a supercharged car. Funnily enough Zankok, a mate of mine did suggest the same thing, but then I'd be driving an evo and it doesn't have the things that I love about a merc; style, build quality and reliability. If you're suggesting an engine change, how does a SR20DETT from a Nissan Silvia sound? 500 bhp from that engine is relatively easy to obtain, but I'm slightly worried with engine transplants, thus I'm really keen only on ripping my engine apart and putting better parts in it if it makes sense?

3) For argument sake, let's say 500bhp is impossible on the M271 engine, what's the highest it can take with heavy mods? (230bhp is the max without modding the drivetrain, etc)

P.S Thanks so much for the effort Zankok. I'll look into your advice!
2) If you modify ur merc's engine u will still lose the build quality and reliability of the merc, so all u keeping is the style only
I have an SR20DET so I know fare bit about the engine, for it to achieve 500BHP, again, it won't be as easy as it sounds, 350 is mild, 400 is tough, 500 you need to slap on ridiculously large turbo which will make your gas pedal into a switch, it is either off, or burn rubber
Tomei has produced complete engine set for SR20,http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-ca...ne_sr20det.htm
with this engine you should be able to go the speed you look for in normal highways, but 500BHP? way to beat
those D1 cars achieved 500BHP by sacrificing the drivability of the car, a lot of them just swapped those engine to RB26s for its mid range, you probably find the SR hard to use it on the street if you get to that power
if you want a safe bet, go for RB26DETT or even better, 2JZGTE
these engines r dirt cheap nowadays, cost much less and much easier to modify than a MB unit, dont need to think, just do it.
all these above r assuming it is doable for the transplant

3) without turbos, modifying your current engine is like squeezing juice out of a nut, u not gonna get much back, unless you go for turbo and a tune

P.S. no problem, hope my advise will get you somewhere, I work in KL too so i know about the *****y government....
Old 07-17-2010, 11:23 PM

C200K W204
MALAYSIA BOLEH! Lol, just had to say it.

So as far as engine transplants go, will a RB26DETT or 2JZ-GTE fit? I would need to change the tranny, softwares and everything else with that am I right? That's really why I try to avoid engine swaps, it's just too much effort

If 500 bhp is out of the question, and 300bhp is tough, then would you say 300 bhp is optimal from the 2.0L daily-driven car?