C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

highbeam problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
2023 911 T, 2012 C63 AMG Coupe, 1989 560SL
highbeam problem

hey guys

so last night i was driving home late at night on back roads, and i had my highbeams on

as i was nearing the house, i noticed every so often, my highbeams would randomly go out for a split second, and come right back on. I had my fog lights switch on too so every time the highs went out the fogs came on. sometimes they went out for what seemed like an instant, i almost couldnt tell if they had gone out or not, but other times they were out for almost a full second. i couldnt tell for sure but it seemed to me that they might have been going out every time i hit a bump in the road, but i couldnt tell for sure

when i got home it was late and i didnt want to pull the lights out with the engine still hot, but i tried flashing my highs a few times and switching them on and off and they seemed fine.

i have stock non xenons that i replaced with luminics titanium whites H7 bulbs, and i've had them for almost a month, and this is the first time i've had any issues.

im gonna check the bulbs today but any help you guys can give is appreciated. thanks.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Armchair Diagnosis-My Guess:
With the fog lights switched on, and coming on as the high beams go out, the system is behaving normally. The fact that this is happening as you hit a bump, but operates normally while standing still suggests your dealer will likely chase a loose connection or malfunctioning stalk switch. I would not spend time with the individual bulbs as this seems to be a system properly responding to an unintended signal from a central location upstream of the lamps.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
My guess,

Put the OEM bulbs back in and see if the problem goes away.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBS LM's 18's + Kics
Originally Posted by JimPap
My guess,

Put the OEM bulbs back in and see if the problem goes away.
+1
Old 07-30-2010, 08:29 AM

i gave it another go last night, and i had the same problem. however i have confirmed it is not caused by bumps in the road. also i found if i leave my lights on automatic setting it ceased to happen, but with my lights in the full on position and with foglights on they started to cut out every now and then after a little while.

i also noticed that every so often, the passenger side airbag indicator would cut out for a split second, and the red brake light in the instrument cluster would flash on for a quick second. and when my highs were off, the high beam light in the cluster would also flash on momentarily, but the highs them selves did not.

i also couldnt tell for sure, but it seemed to me that maybe the backlighting to the gauges in the cluster also cut out for a split second, but i wasnt paying attention when i thought i saw it happen

im not really sure whats going on, sounds like a grave electrical problem which has me worried. I recently started an install on a subwoofer, but all i've done is run the power cable from the battery to the trunk, and tap speaker wire to the rear speakers and also run that to the trunk, but nothing has been connected or turned on yet. really hope i didnt mess anything up, this is already looking like it might be expensive to fix
Old 07-30-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
I would put the OEM bulbs back in and pull that power wire out prior to going to the dealer if I were you..
Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 AM

im out of warranty anyway, bought the car used. I take it to a local mercedes specialty shop when i need service done
Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serpent S966
Originally Posted by Arjy
im out of warranty anyway, bought the car used. I take it to a local mercedes specialty shop when i need service done
It doubt it because of the aftermarket bulb. My bi xenon that came with the car just happened as you described, tonight. I didn't notice about the fog being on when the high beam off because I always switch the fog on. It seems to go away when the switch is in A mode, but I need to do more night drive to verify this.

Yesterday, one of the eyelid light on driver side (RHD) blink itself intermittently after I lock the car. Unlock and re lock again, it goes away.

Will try to asked my SA in case they have the same complain before.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:32 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by Arjy
I recently started an install on a subwoofer, but all i've done is run the power cable from the battery to the trunk, and tap speaker wire to the rear speakers and also run that to the trunk, but nothing has been connected or turned on yet. really hope i didnt mess anything up, this is already looking like it might be expensive to fix
Did you tape off the power and speaker wires in the trunk or are the ends just exposed copper? Asking because maybe you're intermittently getting a short if the wires happen to be touching every so often or contacting bare metal somehwere in the trunk, especially if you also ran a ground and left it exposed.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doanster
Did you tape off the power and speaker wires in the trunk or are the ends just exposed copper? Asking because maybe you're intermittently getting a short if the wires happen to be touching every so often or contacting bare metal somehwere in the trunk, especially if you also ran a ground and left it exposed.
yeah im pretty sure thats exactly what happened. problem got fixed as soon as i finished the sub install
Old 11-04-2010, 01:50 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
Glad to hear that!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nike Turbo Shox
Do W204's offer automatic high beams? I know bmw's do.