C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Wheel touch up paint question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Wheel touch up paint question.

I have a 2008 C300 with twin 7 spoke wheels.

I've seen the websites about respraying your wheels to correct curb rash but does anyone know of a touch up pen or a small bottle of paint and brush that can be used to touch up specks or other small areas?

I would think that this paint would have to hold up to more heat than just regular body paint.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 4matic
curb rash tends to be much deeper scratches, so paint could only do so much in maling it look better.
I plan to finely smooth down the curb rash with a Dremmel tool, then use some touch up paint to blend in the scratch. I have used silver touch up paint and it has worked well, but I've found the consistancy too thin.

I like to know if there is a special paint for wheels, something that is thicker that will fill in and cover the scratches.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4matic Special Edition
Try this

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/realwhda.html
Old 08-06-2010, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by aowhaus
curb rash tends to be much deeper scratches, so paint could only do so much in maling it look better.
I plan to finely smooth down the curb rash with a Dremmel tool, then use some touch up paint to blend in the scratch. I have used silver touch up paint and it has worked well, but I've found the consistancy too thin.

I like to know if there is a special paint for wheels, something that is thicker that will fill in and cover the scratches.
I think the trick with these kinds of paints is that you don't want to put it down thick. If you've got a trench, then you'd use some kind of filler.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 4matic
That a great resource, Thanks!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Just got an email back from Dr. ColorChip Corp saying that they can match the color but to confirm the color code for the wheel.

Anybody have a clue where to get the wheel color code?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:46 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by JimPap
Just got an email back from Dr. ColorChip Corp saying that they can match the color but to confirm the color code for the wheel.

Anybody have a clue where to get the wheel color code?
The Wurth Silver Wheel Paint mentioned in the Autogeek article is the approved wheel paint color for many Euro brands, including MB. There is no color code for our wheels afaik...
A friend has used it to fix curb rashes on his Pepper Turbo and said it matched perfectly.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
I have a hairline crack in the paint on one of my C63 wheels. It's on the darker graphite color that's next to the valve stem. You can't really tell it's there unless it's bubbling up from (what I assume is) moisture.

I fear it will finally flake off someday leaving an ugly blemish. I'd love to be prepared for it by having some touch up paint on hand.

Anyone know if there is a color that will match C63 wheels?? I've tired searching but haven't found anything specific, only generic "graphite" colors...

EDIT: I probably should ask in the C63 forum...

Last edited by Krytech; 08-06-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Wink I used a pen myself

I have a 2008 C300 with twin 7 spoke wheels.

I've seen the websites about respraying your wheels to correct curb rash but does anyone know of a touch up pen or a small bottle of paint and brush that can be used to touch up specks or other small areas?

I would think that this paint would have to hold up to more heat than just regular body paint.
To answer your question more fully: I had a small rash on one wheel, too small to do spray painting, and I happened to have a small marker pen with "permanent type ink" in silver color. It matched the wheel color, and it flows when you press the nib onto the wheel surface so it's easy to control. I got it from an art supply store, it's called "Pilot Super Color Pen - extra fine" SC-S-EF. Even after several months I have to look really closely to find the rash
Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by Doanster
The Wurth Silver Wheel Paint mentioned in the Autogeek article is the approved wheel paint color for many Euro brands, including MB. There is no color code for our wheels afaik...
A friend has used it to fix curb rashes on his Pepper Turbo and said it matched perfectly.
That's fine if you have a larger area to repair but I'm talking about small spots here and there. That's why I was asking about a pin or liquid in a bottle rather than a spray.

I did look to see if Wurth made a paint on liquid and didn't see one. Did you see anything of the sort?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by Rogwp
To answer your question more fully: I had a small rash on one wheel, too small to do spray painting, and I happened to have a small marker pen with "permanent type ink" in silver color. It matched the wheel color, and it flows when you press the nib onto the wheel surface so it's easy to control. I got it from an art supply store, it's called "Pilot Super Color Pen - extra fine" SC-S-EF. Even after several months I have to look really closely to find the rash
That sound more like what I'm looking for.

In case there is more than one silver colored used in MB wheels, which wheels were you touching up?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:20 PM

That sound more like what I'm looking for.

In case there is more than one silver colored used in MB wheels, which wheels were you touching up?
They are MB wheels, they were part of my Canadian 2010 "Special Edition" package. These are the same wheels now standard on US C350.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:25 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
That's fine if you have a larger area to repair but I'm talking about small spots here and there. That's why I was asking about a pin or liquid in a bottle rather than a spray.

I did look to see if Wurth made a paint on liquid and didn't see one. Did you see anything of the sort?
No, but you can just spray some into a plastic cup and then use an artist's brush or toothpick, etc.
And yes, I realize this won't work for C63 wheels...
Old 08-07-2010, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by Doanster
No, but you can just spray some into a plastic cup and then use an artist's brush or toothpick, etc.
And yes, I realize this won't work for C63 wheels...
Sounds good but have you actually tried this?
Old 08-07-2010, 06:22 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Sounds good but have you actually tried this?
With Wurth specifically? No. With other aerosol paints? Yes. Specifically, when I needed to touch up the mirror housing on my Passat. However, I don't see why the Wurth would pose any problems in going this route, especially since you say the lines/areas are small enough that you don't need to spray.