C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

can i afford a c300?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Junkmonkey
What am I getting at? $60-ish / week is not worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in a bunch of years. Only nominally.

Live how you want.
Wow, what a sorry piece of financial advice...I guess because it doesn't come quick and easy you should just give up for now, blow all your money living large and eat dog food once you retire.
Talk about being shortsighted...
Old 08-13-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 C63 AMG | '10 Lexus RX350 | '10 E550C |'98 Lexus ES300 (Love this car)
I'd say get it. You only live once. Think about what is your life goal. What is the point of living? Merely to survive?

I recommend to get a short lease term like 24 months. In this case, you are not tied down to a long term obligation. You might pay a bit more but the flexibility is worth

If I were you though, I'd probably get an used 01-02 used boxster for about 15k. It's a lot cooler and exclusive than a c300. The whole point of getting a benz at 20 is to impress ladies and friends right? Convertible + Porsche = Score. Mustang or camero is a good choice as well. Sexy cars!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nike Turbo Shox
600 a week? You didn't say before of after tax, okay lets see. $600(4) 2400 a month, if you can find a deal on a C350 not CPO, not from a MB Dealer for 27k out the door on the terms of 72months. The monthly installment is like $375 before tax then insurance. I'm paying $2250 for insurance a year with the car under my dads names. Let me cut to the point, if you aren't buying anything less than a C350 get a 335i. You can scoop up a 07 335i 6mt for like the same 27k out the door and pay less for insurance and have more fun. Or if not buy a real car like a EVO 9 or 10.

If you want to get chicks everywherre you go get a G37 coupe or something turbocharged like once again a 335i or a EVO. Chicks dig boost.

Last edited by OneOfaKindTrini; 08-13-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:28 AM

C300 4matic Sport, CBR 954
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini
600 a week? You didn't say before of after tax, okay lets see. $600(4) 2400 a month, if you can find a deal on a C350 not CPO, not from a MB Dealer for 27k out the door on the terms of 72months. The monthly installment is like $375 before tax then insurance. I'm paying $2250 for insurance a year with the car under my dads names. Let me cut to the point, if you aren't buying anything less than a C350 get a 335i. You can scoop up a 07 335i 6mt for like the same 27k out the door and pay less for insurance and have more fun. Or if not buy a real car like a EVO 9 or 10.

If you want to get chicks everywherre you go get a G37 coupe or something turbocharged like once again a 335i or a EVO. Chicks dig boost.

Hate to be the barrer of bad news but chicks dont really dig boost, mayby the young crown of chicks for a min might but they get over it fast, in the end they all dig money, ur better off going with the merk if thats what ur looking for.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Originally Posted by CrAZyVeGAsBoY
Hate to be the barrer of bad news but chicks dont really dig boost, mayby the young crown of chicks for a min might but they get over it fast, in the end they all dig money, ur better off going with the merk if thats what ur looking for.

You know the better question is how much do you have to put down on a car? Cause you can get like 08 E92 M3 for like 40grand. Why you don't you take a spin to the auctions? You don't have any friends working in dealers?

Last edited by OneOfaKindTrini; 08-14-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Wow, what a sorry piece of financial advice...I guess because it doesn't come quick and easy you should just give up for now, blow all your money living large and eat dog food once you retire.
I think you're gettin a little too defensive..

I'm also in college and half of my friends don't even work. The ones that do are spending their money on cars, modding cars, beer, girls, clubs, etc. Point being, I look at a part-time job at a young age as a learning experience..it does nothing more than to merely teach you responsibility. The small amount of income generated should go toward whatever. We already have a million worries/stresses at this stage of life, saving for retirement shouldn't be one of them. A few short years down the road, he'll be graduated with (hopefully) an established career. That's the time to start being financially responsible. By then his Benz will be mostly paid off and he he can hold on to it as he enters the professional world. A few more years of fun won't make any difference in his long-term future. If anything, budgeting for and purchasing a MB at a young age will teach him even more about financial responsibility.

OP..I'd consider used though..these cars drop in value quick.

Last edited by C300Kid; 08-14-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Originally Posted by C300Kid
I think you're gettin a little too defensive..

I'm also in college and half of my friends don't even work. The ones that do are spending their money on cars, modding cars, beer, girls, clubs, etc. Point being, I look at a part-time job at a young age as a learning experience..it does nothing more than to merely teach you responsibility. The small amount of income generated should go toward whatever. We already have a million worries/stresses at this stage of life, saving for retirement shouldn't be one of them. A few short years down the road, he'll be graduated with (hopefully) an established career. That's the time to start being financially responsible. By then his Benz will be mostly paid off and he he can hold on to it as he enters the professional world. A few more years of fun won't make any difference in his long-term future. If anything, budgeting for and purchasing a MB at a young age will teach him even more about financial responsibility.

OP..I'd consider used though..these cars drop in value quick.
The way I see this you made the best point on here because if he's buys even a 09 C350 he'll have something sporty and mature at the same time and later down the road when it's paid off for he'll just have to pay insurance and not have to worry about installments on a car.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
The guys on here are making a point to you, let me try to sum it up.

You are 22 and you don't have many living expenses at the moment. You have a steady income coming in and once again not that many living expenses. Don't buy a C300, look for something a bit older, something that won't throw you into 25k+ worth of debt. If you want something sporty and classy at the same time I can make a suggestion and tell you get a 06 or 07 G35 coupe. Do you know how much I pay to do a oil change on my car, 7 or 8 quarts of mobil1 is like $60 bucks and then you have to dispose of it yourself, if you take it to a quick lube they'll charge you $120. Go with something with lower maintinence cost. I'm not saying be frugle and don't spend, but dont go blow out whatever you have on a car and struggle to pay your bills. Go for something less is my point. Don't just look at it like oh yeah next month i'll have money, you said you want to move out in like 2years, can you afford to move out into an apartment and pay around $1000 a month minus bills and still pay for a new Benz?

I'll tell you the truth, I got a 2007 Mercedes-benz 4Matic last year in June, don't give me wrong I love the car, but everyday I ask why didn't I get something else. The car yells expense in everyway. I did a serviceB June 2010 and paid $1600.

Last edited by OneOfaKindTrini; 08-14-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini
I did a serviceB June 2010 and paid $1600.
You mean $600? If you paid $1600 for service B wtf did you take it? lol
Old 08-14-2010, 02:23 PM

08 w204
i say go for it kid, save like a mad man for a few months, put a nice chunk down on a CPO, your payments will be like 300-400 bucks a month, like alot of people have said on here, after you settle down, it's sation wagons, radio disney, and happy meals.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Originally Posted by C300Kid
You mean $600? If you paid $1600 for service B wtf did you take it? lol

Sorry I wasn't too specific ment, 50k mile service. At helm bros. That was the last time I was ever going to catch myself in a MB stealership.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:28 PM

2010 C300 Sport, 2007 335i Sedan
Originally Posted by C300Sport
++1 to that... never have seen such a detailed analysis that added up to nothing more than poor logic.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:29 PM

2010 C300 Sport, 2007 335i Sedan
This is hilarious... Yeah man, get the 4matic, fur sure.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 blk/blk C63 AMG, 2010 wht/blk c300 sport, 06 c280, 12 Triumph Daytona 675R wht/blk/red
get the car you want man. maybe look at some 06-07..
Old 08-15-2010, 12:31 PM

95 E300D, 97 FZJ-80
Originally Posted by Junkmonkey

What am I getting at? $60-ish / week is not worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in a bunch of years. Only nominally.

Live how you want.
That would be why we've got a bunch of idiots out there not savings towards retirement. Why put a crimp on your lifestyle now when you can just bank on the man supporting you in your retirement?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:40 PM

2008 MB C300 Sport (Mars Red)
Originally Posted by CrAZyVeGAsBoY

....And a great first date at McDonald's because that's all he'll be able to afford!
Old 08-15-2010, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Despite the occasional humorous quips, this thread is actually quite depressing.

Here we have a young adult living in a "parasite"/"host" relationship with his parents, who apparently have been unsuccessful in conveying any innate sense of appreciation or responsibility. From his own words, he does not pay his way for rent, food, utilities, insurance, healthcare, etc., just his phone. And yet, he somehow is considering a luxury car instead of taking any steps to become a independent, responsible adult.

Then the "amen chorus" arrives to cheer on immediate gratification with little to no regard of the consequences and certainly no encouragement to make even the slightest contribution to his own cost of living nor to the parents who are enabling him...even if they can afford it...to help him learn the earliest lesson about personal values and integrity.

Then, the most tragic. We devolve into a discussion of how a guy choosing the right car or powertrain can convince some apparently low intelligence or high desperation women to have sex with them.

In all regards, a sad story.......

Old 08-15-2010, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Here is my repeciept from my 50k service.

can i afford a c300?-2010-06-16192247.jpg
Old 08-15-2010, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Despite the occasional humorous quips, this thread is actually quite depressing.

Here we have a young adult living in a "parasite"/"host" relationship with his parents, who apparently have been unsuccessful in conveying any innate sense of appreciation or responsibility. From his own words, he does not pay his way for rent, food, utilities, insurance, healthcare, etc., just his phone. And yet, he somehow is considering a luxury car instead of taking any steps to become a independent, responsible adult.

Then the "amen chorus" arrives to cheer on immediate gratification with little to no regard of the consequences and certainly no encouragement to make even the slightest contribution to his own cost of living nor to the parents who are enabling him...even if they can afford it...to help him learn the earliest lesson about personal values and integrity.

Then, the most tragic. We devolve into a discussion of how a guy choosing the right car or powertrain can convince some apparently low intelligence or high desperation women to have sex with them.

In all regards, a sad story.......

Well, I believe that pretty well encapsulates the thread...responsibility vs. immediate gratification...I will be curious to see how this turns out.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C300 4Matic
lol @ what this thread had become...

wtf @ sportstick lol @ a 'parasite/host' AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH ^

what do you think you are??
...unless you own a farm and are self sufficient on this earth... you leech... you are on your knees with a banks ***** all up in your mouth... and who is paying you... you rely on a man/woman for your rent and to feed your family. like it or not... you may work for it but youre a leech like everyone that relies on someone else to live.

at least with this kid its his mother and father not some strangers... thats what a family is for... to use as a learning tool and stepping stone to better things.

to the OP you have no overhead... nothing to worry about... if this fails you wont end up on the street(i hope)... u have the support of your parents... this is the best time to do something that you might never get a chance to again in life... if thats getting a nice car... then do it... sure a investment in your future or land might be better... but we live and learn... and some ppl have to learn the hard way.

if when you get the car you realize its too much to handle and your not making enough money... work harder!!

imo... if you want nice things in life it's not all about saving till you can get them... its about using what you have and adapting mentally and financially to keep them... and in turn get nicer things!

/rant

*breathes*
Old 08-15-2010, 04:07 PM

c350
Why would you call his situation parasitic? how do you know what he does with his family and in his time. All the information he has given is income and age and that he lives at home. He can be at home and clean everything, help his parents, take care of the chores.. etc. Yet your saying he just walks in and doesn't give a **** to his family and home? That he needs to move out and grow up? Most parents don't want there kid paying rent or utilities as long as there working/school.

And who would pay $1600 for an oil change and a thorough car inspection?!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Originally Posted by envyxc350
Why would you call his situation parasitic? how do you know what he does with his family and in his time. All the information he has given is income and age and that he lives at home. He can be at home and clean everything, help his parents, take care of the chores.. etc. Yet your saying he just walks in and doesn't give a **** to his family and home? That he needs to move out and grow up? Most parents don't want there kid paying rent or utilities as long as there working/school.

It was a range of things done. Flush, tranny fluid, t/c flud, radiator and some other stuff. The funny this was the labor for the job was $750 which is more than the cost of parts. I was pissed of course, but I got a C300 4matic sport that day which I definately abused. Won't get into details because some people on here might say it was morally wrong for my to do that. Leave it at I took the car back and complained the car started making a knocking sound
Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by envyxc350

His situation is parasitic because it is EXTREMELY irresponsible for his parents to coax him towards instant gratification without teaching him how to save first. Sounds to me like his parents had him young and regret not "indulging" themselves first. He seems to think that with 2400 a month, he can save $1000 dollars, while spending $600 dollars a month on a car loan? He is smoking some serious crack if he thinks he's going to have the car loan, maintain the car, gas + insurance, save 1000. and have enough for any other activities. Good Luck Charlie!

P.S. It is never too early to start saving for a 401k or retirement. It's better to save now then to be broke later.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
Ok, this has definitely got off topic! Everyone will have a different opinion, and honestly we can not answer this for him. He has to do what he thinks is best. That said I hope he makes the responsible decision. I too am young, I am 24 and OWN my car. I own it because I waited until I was ready to purchase it. I save my money and and follow a monthly budget. I didn't want a monthly payment on a car. I understand many people have different situations I just never wanted to be tied down by a car payment. He wants to live in the moment but car payments are not for the moment, they are for 36-72 months. If your not 100% confident you will be able to make all 72 payments don't get the car. This country is in enough trouble, and this type of selfish decision is how we got her. People live beyond their means and the rest of us pay for it. Buy the car when you can afford it, and until you can figure that out yourself you should just keep saving. Put together a budget and have enough money to live at least six months preferably a year then think about a new car.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM

2009 Arctic White/Black C350 with NAV pkg, ipod integration, 40% HO tint, and 18" 5-spoke AMG wheels
Originally Posted by hutch300
Ok, this has definitely got off topic! Everyone will have a different opinion, and honestly we can not answer this for him. He has to do what he thinks is best. That said I hope he makes the responsible decision. I too am young, I am 24 and OWN my car. I own it because I waited until I was ready to purchase it. I save my money and and follow a monthly budget. I didn't want a monthly payment on a car. I understand many people have different situations I just never wanted to be tied down by a car payment. He wants to live in the moment but car payments are not for the moment, they are for 36-72 months. If your not 100% confident you will be able to make all 72 payments don't get the car. This country is in enough trouble, and this type of selfish decision is how we got her. People live beyond their means and the rest of us pay for it. Buy the car when you can afford it, and until you can figure that out yourself you should just keep saving. Put together a budget and have enough money to live at least six months preferably a year then think about a new car.

Good advice here and I 100% agree. There are WAY too many people living outside their means in an attempt to represent an outward image that is not accurate and in my opinion....is not fooling anyone. I live in an area where there are quite a bit of expensive vehicles around and more often than not the people driving them live at home with their parents, do not have the funds to pay for it, or got it from some shady place "Where Your Job Is Your Credit." My advice is to live within your means because having a Mercedes while living at home with your parents is not setting yourself up for success because you are thinking short-term versus long-term.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: can i afford a c300?